Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 244

Thread: This Feels Like the End for Chris Kreider and the Rangers

  1. #1
    The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Phil in Absentia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    87,878
    Rep Power
    482

    This Feels Like the End for Chris Kreider and the Rangers

    But before president John Davidson and general manager Jeff Gorton close the book on Phase One, they must decide whether to extend Chris Kreiderís contract, which has one season to go at $4.625 million before he is eligible for unrestricted free agency, or trade No. 20 before the start of the season, if not ideally before the start of Fridayís first round of the entry draft so the team can snag another first-rounder.

    And, with The Post learning that Gorton and the wingerís rep, Matt Keator, had not yet had a substantive conversation about numbers at least as of Wednesday night, the feeling increasingly is that The. Rangers. Will. Trade. Chris.

    This decision would not be about subtracting payroll for next season in order to accommodate pursuit of Panarin and any other player or combination of players, though that is a necessity. That is among the reasons Group II free agent Pavel Buchnevich is available, and so too are Jimmy Vesey and Vlad Namestnikov, though the Rangers canít simply unload a passel of high-minute forwards, dress a team of 22-and-unders, and expect the kids to flourish without significant veteran support in the room and on the ice.

    It is not about next year for Kreider. It is about the six or seven that will follow at what surely will be for the ballpark price of $6.75 million per, perhaps higher. Kreider is a Blueblood, one of a mere three remaining on the roster ó with Henrik Lundqvist and Marc Staal ó from the 2012 Black-and-Blueshirt playoff march to the conference finals. He is part of franchise lore, too, joining the team fresh off the BC campus following its NCAA Championship victory to record five goals in that tournament. He has been a leader through this transition period.
    https://nypost.com/2019/06/20/this-f...site%20buttons


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella


    "Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

  2. #2
    Senior Member Pee-Wee Division Gunnar Stahl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Iceland
    Posts
    606
    Rep Power
    16
    This may be pure fantasy on my part, but could a package of Kreider and Vesey land us a top 15 pick?
    I don't always back check, but when I do, I follow it up with a nasty wrister from a tight angle. Stay filthy, my friends. Hidden Content

  3. #3
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,008
    Rep Power
    362
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  4. #4
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,131
    Rep Power
    143
    I'm still on the fence with Kreider. I think if he can be resigned for a decent price -- he's a good leader to have on the team.

    If he's traded, I get it. For the first time in a long time, the rangers have a surplus of talent.
    GORTON 2020

  5. #5
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,008
    Rep Power
    362
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl View Post
    This may be pure fantasy on my part, but could a package of Kreider and Vesey land us a top 15 pick?
    Rangers were scouting for the 8/9 spot for a long time. They probably have a favorite or two. If that names slips, theyll jump on it.

    It wont be two upcoming UFAs, though.Teams need a signed player, RFA, or a pick.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  6. #6
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    169
    I think you'd have to knock my tits off at the draft for me to want to trade Kreider.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,131
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I think you'd have to knock my tits off at the draft for me to want to trade Kreider.
    But what would you be willing to pay him?
    GORTON 2020

  8. #8
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    29,008
    Rep Power
    362
    Trade Kreider
    Dont land Panarin
    #1 LW is Jimm Vesey

    #1 overall pick next season, baby
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  9. #9
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    But what would you be willing to pay him?
    I'd have no problem with 6x$6.5

  10. #10
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Slobberknocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    2 feet south of the blueline
    Posts
    4,665
    Rep Power
    46
    given hayes got 7 years not sure how chris could command more than that or be damn close to that number.
    Acqua in bocca

  11. #11
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    12,131
    Rep Power
    143
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    I'd have no problem with 6x$6.5
    Are you paying for what he's done or what you hope he does?

    I'd argue neither are worth that much term or money. I actually think Kreider will age well considering what kind of shape he keeps himself in but can we afford 6.5 million on someone who's not even putting up 50 points when we have Kakko and/or Kravstov to pay at a much higher rate?
    GORTON 2020

  12. #12
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Are you paying for what he's done or what you hope he does?

    I'd argue neither are worth that much term or money. I actually think Kreider will age well considering what kind of shape he keeps himself in but can we afford 6.5 million on someone who's not even putting up 50 points when we have Kakko and/or Kravstov to pay at a much higher rate?
    No GM in the league, or in any sport, gives a player term for what they have done. Sometimes, they add years beyond when they think a player will be as effective because that's just what it costs to sign a guy.

    Yes, I think he can be a 25-30 goal player at 33. He's not the type who has a game that is just going to fall off a cliff at 30 because, despite all his physical tools, he doesn't depend on them. I think he's too cerebral, but because he thinks the game and does all his scoring at the front of the net, I don't see why his scoring would just disappear. He's very much like Joe Pavelski, in that way. If he was the player I'd like him to be (~23 goals and just wrecking shit all the time), I wouldn't say the same.

    Carl Hagelin just got ~$4m and hasn't scored even 30 points since 2016. The $1m/10 points rule isn't real. Also, Kreider has had over 50 points in 2 of his last 3 seasons, and paced 50 the year he got hurt. As a UFA, that puts him at at least $6m all day.

  13. #13
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    No GM in the league, or in any sport, gives a player term for what they have done. Sometimes, they add years beyond when they think a player will be as effective because that's just what it costs to sign a guy.

    Yes, I think he can be a 25-30 goal player at 33. He's not the type who has a game that is just going to fall off a cliff at 30 because, despite all his physical tools, he doesn't depend on them. I think he's too cerebral, but because he thinks the game and does all his scoring at the front of the net, I don't see why his scoring would just disappear. He's very much like Joe Pavelski, in that way. If he was the player I'd like him to be (~23 goals and just wrecking shit all the time), I wouldn't say the same.

    Carl Hagelin just got ~$4m and hasn't scored even 30 points since 2016. The $1m/10 points rule isn't real. Also, Kreider has had over 50 points in 2 of his last 3 seasons, and paced 50 the year he got hurt. As a UFA, that puts him at at least $6m all day.
    I see Kreider as complete opposite from your point of view. I see him dependent on his speed and legs are first to go as players age. he gets few goals around the net, but only about half of his goals. His hockey IQ, IMO, is low. he's not a smart hockey player. I see him as bust in few years.

  14. #14
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    I see Kreider as complete opposite from your point of view. I see him dependent on his speed and legs are first to go as players age. he gets few goals around the net, but only about half of his goals. His hockey IQ, IMO, is low. he's not a smart hockey player. I see him as bust in few years.
    You're completely, unequivocally wrong. NHL Stats page is down, becuase of course it is, but he's like 2nd or 3rd in the league over the last few years in tip-in goals.

  15. #15
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    You're completely, unequivocally wrong. NHL Stats page is down, becuase of course it is, but he's like 2nd or 3rd in the league over the last few years in tip-in goals.
    ok...so how many tip-in goals do you think he had?

  16. #16
    Formerly Dru23 BSBH Prospect
    NYR2711's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    West Babylon
    Posts
    13,874
    Rep Power
    86
    You don’t move him without talking to his agent and seeing what he wants and also without knowing if they are signing Panarin or not. If he is traded and Panarin signs in Florida, the offense will have a huge hole. I would sign him because he and Zib have great chemistry together and produce well together.

  17. #17
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    ok...so how many tip-in goals do you think he had?
    His goals mostly come from around the net. I don't know, off the top of my head, how many. Here's all of htem, you can count:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEKjkldZEjk

    But it's not like he's just racing into the high slot in transition and scoring all his goals from the high slot lol. Yes he scores with speed, but that's not his primary work.
    Last edited by Future; 06-20-2019 at 04:45 PM.

  18. #18
    Banned Junior Division
    Albatross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    5,793
    Rep Power
    85
    Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    His goals all come from around the net. I don't know, off the top of my head, how many.

    But it's not like he's just racing into the high slot in transition and scoring all his goals from the high slot lol.
    but I said about half of goals come around the net. half is about 14. you're saying all of his goals came around the net which isn't true.

  19. #19
    Moderator Junior Division
    Future's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    7,819
    Rep Power
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
    but I said about half of goals come around the net. half is about 14. you're saying all of his goals came around the net which isn't true.
    eyeroll

    It's speaking colloquially. I edited anyways. Half is low, and the semantics of that aren't the point anyways.

    My point is that he can score goals around the net, and does it as well as most any player in the league, and that translates to longevity. Yes, as he ages he'll lose some of the goals where he speeds down the wing (probably, not every guy loses speed), but that is not what his scoring is based on. You might lose the handful of highlight reel goals, but the ones in front of the net aren't going away, and thats where he predominantly scores.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Mite Division tphilly5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    130
    Rep Power
    1
    An article like this should generate some urgency to get people to the table. $6.75m per sounds like a bargain in this environment. 27 is his prime. Put him with Zib and we got a top line.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •