• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

This Feels Like the End for Chris Kreider and the Rangers

Phil

I know lol. But to get Panarin, you have to overpay. That's just how free agency works...in all sports.

It's also why I would have targeted Mark Stone months and months ago.

It’s rare to NOT overpay for FA’s. Especially for NY teams. Players and agents know there’s more money in the coffers. And they play the cost of living card to the hilt.

I will say though that Panarin represents the best and most comfortable I’ve been with one of theirbFA targets probably since Gaborik 10 years ago. And Gaborik had durability issues and was coming off a major surgery when they signed him. Panarin does not have those same questions surrounding him.

Bottom line I think if they wind up with Panarin they’re very happy with what they get out of him for 5 seasons and you live with the last 2.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know having both Kreider and Panarin isnt financially sound. However the idea of having these lines (in no particular order or pairings)....

Kravs-Kakko

Kreider-Panarin

Buch-Lemieux

As our top 6 wingers is pure sex.

Luke warm pure sex.

It’s rare to NOT overpay for FA’s. Especially for NY teams. Players and agents know there’s more money in the coffers. And they play the cost of living card to the hilt.

I will say though that Panarin represents the best and most comfortable I’ve been with one of theirbFA targets probably since Gaborik 10 years ago. And Gaborik had durability issues and was coming off a major surgery when they signed him. Panarin does not have those same questions surrounding him.

Bottom line I think if they wind up with Panarin they’re very happy with what they get out of him for 5 seasons and you live with the last 2.

I’ll be shocked if he’s a point per game here.

You’d be shocked by a career point per game player coming here in his prime and being a point per game player?

For a season no. Over multiple years yes. It’s not a matter of if this contract will turn bad it’s when. Is he a dominant player for 4-5 seasons, the entire contract or less? Short term there isn’t really a worry but short term there really isn’t a chance at a cup. Long term is the concern

For a season no. Over multiple years yes. It’s not a matter of if this contract will turn bad it’s when. Is he a dominant player for 4-5 seasons, the entire contract or less? Short term there isn’t really a worry but short term there really isn’t a chance at a cup. Long term is the concern

If he goes from dominant in years 6 & 7 to very good I will take it. Other options might not hit ‘very good’ ever.

CBJ offered 8/$96m. JD was in Columbus and knows Panarin. Panarin has not logged a lot of NHL miles. It seems like the risk has been mitigated a bit.

My biggest concern is if the current Rangers roster is ready to maximize Panarin’s skills in the short term. We got no bullets left to fire at this point.

I've put a good deal of thought into this, and I think you're worrying over something you shouldn't be, but not for the reasons you'd think. I do think Panarin's game will age well - he's a "smarts over gifts" sort of guy; those folks tend to last longer.

That said - you're correct that long term matters...in today's world. I think a lot of the reason why you're seeing stupid money being thrown around today is because GMs don't actually expect to have the same constraints in 3 years when they renegotiate the CBA.

There are a pair of opt-outs (NHL on 9/1, NHLPA on 9/19) that take place this September - maybe we get a bit of a jump on that timeline - but I think there's a good chance that some of the constraints we worry about today (i.e. "What's a 34 year old Artemi Panarin going to be worth?) are much less meaningful come 2022 and a much larger TV deal.

Really hope the rangers find a way to keep Kreider ,want to see him and Panarin on the same team next season

He's signed, and there's like four players worth of dead weight on the team before you need to make a Kreider trade. He's staying unless the team sees it absolutely critical to work out the extension or deal him before camp.

Namestnikov, Smith, Beleskey, Shattenkirk, maybe even Strome - all would be gone before Kreider if it's cap-dump time.

He's signed, and there's like four players worth of dead weight on the team before you need to make a Kreider trade. He's staying unless the team sees it absolutely critical to work out the extension or deal him before camp.

Namestnikov, Smith, Beleskey, Shattenkirk, maybe even Strome - all would be gone before Kreider if it's cap-dump time.

G man's right on that. We have CK for this season under contract, but I think Brendan Smith has 2 years left. Jesper Fast is the other guy who's up after this coming season.

Would still like to see Kreider re-signed at a reasonable rate. On the open market he would probably get somewhere in the vicinity of 5-6 years x 7M. If he's open to somewhere in the 6-6.5 range right now I think I'd go for it. Yes he is an inconsistent 50 point player, but he brings more than scoring. Leadership and physical presence.

Oh my, after seeing some of these contracts, I’m not sure how you could sign him long term. They’d have three guys locked up long term, 1 unknown and 2 inconsistent players. Dangerous waters.

I think you wait until the deadline, barring an amazing offer. Cap space is tight, and you won’t get a player that effective for his current cap hit.

I’m sure gms will lining up for them. Can you buy out 6 guys in the same off season?

A decision is going to be made this offseason. Gorton and Quinn have indicated they don't want to repeat last season by having someone potentially on the block throughout the year. Quinn hated what that did to the locker room. They'll either sign him or ship him out before training camp. He's the guy on the block that can probably be moved most easily and bring back the best return. Unless you can lock him up in some sweetheart deal it makes sense to move on.

Rangers have 8m in cap space right now. How can they afford NOT to trade him?

What are we thinking Buch, DeAngelo and Lemieux are gonna get?

And Trouba.

I would be fine with a Hayes-type package, especially with a 2020 1st. Would also be fine with giving him 5-6 years/6-6.25m.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

And Trouba.

I would be fine with a Hayes-type package, especially with a 2020 1st. Would also be fine with giving him 5-6 years/6-6.25m.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Right but assuming Trouba is going to get 8m. Where are they getting space from. I find it hard to believe Shattenkirk AND Smith are getting moved.