• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

This Feels Like the End for Chris Kreider and the Rangers

Phil

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like both players but Kreider At 7 mil or whatever he gets is a lot easier to swallow than literally any player at 12 mil. That number just scares me.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I disagree because at least the 12 million player is going to put up points. You might be paying a lot but at least you're getting a lot.

This was part of Friedman s 31 thoughts today;

Read the last paragraph.

3. Colorado is going to be fascinating. A boatload of cap room. From the moment Artemi Panarin made it clear he wouldn?t extend in Columbus, the Avalanche wished to pounce ? but multiple sources indicate he did not meet them on Sunday, as many of us previously heard. Denver is an unlikely landing spot for the talented winger.

Here?s Colorado?s concern: Mikko Rantanen needs an extension now. Barrie?s up in one year. Philipp Grubauer, Gabriel Landeskog and Cale Makar are up in two; Nathan MacKinnon in four. So the Avalanche are going to be careful about ?term? deals that may cause problems down the road. Joe Pavelski made a lot of sense here, but term is why it is unlikely. Mats Zuccarello was on their radar, too, but I?m not sure about that for the same reason. (It is believed Dallas is willing to go four years, so someone would have to beat that.)

The Avalanche were unwilling to include their 16th pick (Alex Newhook) in last week?s draft for Chris Kreider, so it is unlikely that gets re-visited ? especially since he?s up in a year. There was a wild rumour about Jonathan Drouin, who has a long friendship with MacKinnon, but a few different sources poo-poohed that one.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Read the last paragraph.

3. Colorado is going to be fascinating. A boatload of cap room. From the moment Artemi Panarin made it clear he wouldn’t extend in Columbus, the Avalanche wished to pounce — but multiple sources indicate he did not meet them on Sunday, as many of us previously heard. Denver is an unlikely landing spot for the talented winger.

Here’s Colorado’s concern: Mikko Rantanen needs an extension now. Barrie’s up in one year. Philipp Grubauer, Gabriel Landeskog and Cale Makar are up in two; Nathan MacKinnon in four. So the Avalanche are going to be careful about “term” deals that may cause problems down the road. Joe Pavelski made a lot of sense here, but term is why it is unlikely. Mats Zuccarello was on their radar, too, but I’m not sure about that for the same reason. (It is believed Dallas is willing to go four years, so someone would have to beat that.)

The Avalanche were unwilling to include their 16th pick (Alex Newhook) in last week’s draft for Chris Kreider, so it is unlikely that gets re-visited — especially since he’s up in a year. There was a wild rumour about Jonathan Drouin, who has a long friendship with MacKinnon, but a few different sources poo-poohed that one.

I still think it’s a good possibility that Kreider ends up there.

I disagree because at least the 12 million player is going to put up points. You might be paying a lot but at least you're getting a lot.

Would you pay $5m for a 35-point player? Because that's pretty much the difference between Kreider and Panarin.

If Panarin makes $12m and Kreider makes $7m and Panarin scores 90 (28G, 62A), Kreider scores 55 (28G, 27A), you're not getting value in the difference.

Read the last paragraph.

3. Colorado is going to be fascinating. A boatload of cap room. From the moment Artemi Panarin made it clear he wouldn’t extend in Columbus, the Avalanche wished to pounce — but multiple sources indicate he did not meet them on Sunday, as many of us previously heard. Denver is an unlikely landing spot for the talented winger.

Here’s Colorado’s concern: Mikko Rantanen needs an extension now. Barrie’s up in one year. Philipp Grubauer, Gabriel Landeskog and Cale Makar are up in two; Nathan MacKinnon in four. So the Avalanche are going to be careful about “term” deals that may cause problems down the road. Joe Pavelski made a lot of sense here, but term is why it is unlikely. Mats Zuccarello was on their radar, too, but I’m not sure about that for the same reason. (It is believed Dallas is willing to go four years, so someone would have to beat that.)

The Avalanche were unwilling to include their 16th pick (Alex Newhook) in last week’s draft for Chris Kreider, so it is unlikely that gets re-visited — especially since he’s up in a year. There was a wild rumour about Jonathan Drouin, who has a long friendship with MacKinnon, but a few different sources poo-poohed that one.

Whooooaaa Nellie!!! I hadn't heard anything about Zucc resigning in Big D!!!

That's awesome news!! That a #1 pick for us in 2020!!!!

Would you pay $5m for a 35-point player? Because that's pretty much the difference between Kreider and Panarin.

If Panarin makes $12m and Kreider makes $7m and Panarin scores 90 (28G, 62A), Kreider scores 55 (28G, 27A), you're not getting value in the difference.

So by this logic you'd rather have Strome and Namestnikov instead of Kreider at 7.1 million?

you're making the case for every free agent signing. by your logic all free agents are overvalued and overpaid therefore no free agent should be signed.

you're making the case for every free agent signing. by your logic all free agents are overvalued and overpaid therefore no free agent should be signed.

Well most free agents are overvalued at the time of signing, until the next couple of offseasons when even higher bars are set and the cap increases.

And what if that player doesn?t put a point per game?

Depends how much of a decrease that is being talked about. It would hurt just like any FA that doesn't perform up to expectations. A PPG player at 12 mill/yr that dips down to a 60 point player is not really any worse than a 50 point 8 mill/yr player that dips down to 35 points. You're probably still better off with the former.

lol...ok. but that's not happening in reality. We can not resist the new shiny toy

I know lol. But to get Panarin, you have to overpay. That's just how free agency works...in all sports.

It's also why I would have targeted Mark Stone months and months ago.

Well most free agents are overvalued at the time of signing, until the next couple of offseasons when even higher bars are set and the cap increases.

so they're overvalued only during signing and the following season given that the cap grows every year. Each season after that their value is on par and they're undervalued due to the growing cap. But since their production will decrease with time, they will still stay overvalued throughout their contract. Which brings us back to never should a free agent be signed, even if they sign cheap.

William Karlsson just signed a 7 year deal with Vegas at 5.9 aav. Karlsson and Kreider are similar in production last season ('17-`18 he had 43 g, 35 a, 79 points) He got less then ( Hayes say)because he's a winger. There's no way Kreider gets over 6.5 and most likely closer to 5.75 aav. I agree with Josh, 31, keep Kreider and keep the pursuit of Panarin.

William Karlsson just signed a 7 year deal with Vegas at 5.9 aav. Karlsson and Kreider are similar in production last season ('17-`18 he had 43 g, 35 a, 79 points) He got less then ( Hayes say)because he's a winger. There's no way Kreider gets over 6.5 and most likely closer to 5.75 aav. I agree with Josh, 31, keep Kreider and keep the pursuit of Panarin.

He's not really a comp for Kreider - and he took a HUGE hometown discount to boot.