• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Why the Sharks Would be Perfect Henrik Lundqvist Trade Partner

Phil

And so, with San Jose GM Doug Wilson doing whatever he can to keep the window open a year after trading for Karlsson, I wonder if he might go the next logical step and attempt to shore up his goaltending.

I wonder, in fact, whether Wilson might make the call to the Rangers to inquire about Henrik Lundqvist.

Understand: The Rangers are not attempting to nudge Lundqvist aside. This is not a message being sent from Manhattan to Gothenburg, Sweden, by way of The Post. Management is not about to ask the face of the franchise to waive his no-move clause. Lundqvist has made it clear that he wants to lead the Blueshirts back to the playoffs. There is no wobbling on those fronts from either the front office or the goaltender.

But what if a serious Cup contender were to come after him? What if Wilson were permitted to make a pitch? Lundqvist?s sister lives in the Bay Area. And, of course, his good friend Karlsson would be on hand to help with the transition. And he?d be playing behind a defense that, for the first time since 2011-12, would help shield him.

Deadline trades of big-time goaltenders don?t work. There is not enough time to adjust. It is difficult enough for a star forward to make a trade-deadline transition after spending a lifetime with one team. It would be essentially impossible for a goaltender; essentially impossible for the 37-year-old Lundqvist.

As such, if the Sharks want to make a run at Lundqvist, the time would be now. San Jose has already traded its first rounders for 2019 (Evander Kane) and 2020 (Karlsson), so Wilson would likely be shy about sacrificing his first in 2021. But with the Rangers retaining half the salary and cap hit ($4.25 million per), perhaps San Jose could be persuaded to part with Ryan Merkley, the Peterborough righty defenseman whom Wilson selected 21st overall last June.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/18/why-the-sharks-would-be-perfect-henrik-lundqvist-trade-partner/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

lol.. It actually makes a bit of sense, but would there really be interest in shedding an asset for Hank? I certainly wouldn't.

He hasn't been able to stop the puck for a couple years now. Surely, there's better, and cheaper, options available to San Jose.

I'm thinking an acquisition of a solid defender, the possibility of drafting Kakko, and potentially signing Panarin brings back a much different Lundqvist next season.

JD said

“We’ve got to keep the faith and remain true to the program but at the same time, and this is very important, we have to be respectful of the veterans in the room. There has to be a balance. It’s very dangerous when players lose hope,” Davidson said. “I think that’s kind of what happened after the deadline, but I’ll tell you this, [coach] David Quinn had the team playing hard night in and night out. I think the coach did a hell of a job with the group.”

That's before mentioning that Martin Jones has a 3-team trade list. With that group of paid vets, they cant afford to tie up that much on goaltending.

Hank wants to stay.

I'm okay with that as he's earned the right to decide. He can split time with Georgiev and Shesterkin for the next couple seasons and then return as a backup if he wishes.

The Sharks have no room for a 7m goalie who also happens to be 37 years old.

Lundqvist wants to stay as long as he's happy in NY. He seemed more open to the prospect of moving on if his situation doesn't improve. I wouldn't say that he wholly wants to stay. He wants a cup and he's prideful. I hope some team resurgence is enough for him to be content in the next two years and hopefully he'll get a Cup somehwere in the proces.

Hank wants to stay.

I'm okay with that as he's earned the right to decide. He can split time with Georgiev and Shesterkin for the next couple seasons and then return as a backup if he wishes.

The Sharks have no room for a 7m goalie who also happens to be 37 years old.

His contract dictates he gets to decide.

Fact is he?s no longer a fit for this team. And why in the world would you want him around as a backup after this contract ?

He does want to stay as long as he's happy, but last year he did not look happy most of the time. It was coming off back to back seasons in which the Rangers were non factors for the first time in his career. He couldn't quite handle it, along with the fact that his skills are diminishing. I would never say never, but I still don't see him going anyway, and he'll just play out the rest of his contract here. Maybe then he goes elsewhere depending on other team's goalie situations or he just retires.

His contract dictates he gets to decide.

Fact is he’s no longer a fit for this team. And why in the world would you want him around as a backup after this contract ?

Depends where his head is. Trouba + Kakko + Panarin? = motivated Henrik. Maybe not 2012 Henrik, but something close.

If he can't get his game going for that type of lineup next season, he retires.

Depends where his head is. Trouba + Kakko + Panarin? = motivated Henrik. Maybe not 2012 Henrik, but something close.

If he can't get his game going for that type of lineup next season, he retires.

I'm sure he's bummed we didn't sign Karlsson, but if those additions don't add some excitement, I don't know what to tell him. lol

The headline says SJ is a fit and then article explains how it's really not a fit LOL.

It’s like reading several paragraphs of contradictions

Weird

And what about Jones. Has 4-5 years left on his deal

And I think last year may have been an aberration for him. Guy deserves the benefit of the doubt on a bounce back year I think. Literally had his worst season as a pro last year. Well below his career averages in GAA and Save %

Fair chance he bounces back?

I think both sides say no. Lundqvist says no to waiving his no trade clause. Sharks say no to acquiring Lundqvist at 4 million and giving up an asset. Rangers don't even start a conversation with the Sharks if Lundqvist won't waive the no-trade.

Only way I can see Lundqvist waiving his no trade is if he is in true platoon (only going to play 40ish games a year) or if he loses his starting job. Then he might be interested in going to a contender. But no interest in a contender in acquiring Lundqvist unless he shows he can still perform as a no. 1.

Would be shocked if Lundqvist doesn't finish his contract with the Rangers.

The Sharks can’t afford half of Hank’s contract, and at 37 it would be a flip of a coin if he would be better than average. Nice idea for the Rangers though.

Sounds like a caller on an overnight call in sports radio; wishful thinking. Lundqvist's contract makes no sense for SJ, and he right now is barely that much better than Jones or any other goalie in their system.

So his sister lives in the Bay Area...any other straws to throw in?