• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Not Likely Done Yet

Phil

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they should keep Kreider and continue pursuit of Panarin. Deal middle 6ers for "future considerations" to free up cap space as needed.

This is where I'm leaning too. Forwards lacking some veteran presence and I think Kreider is the ideal type of guy to give that. Thinking if the extension isn't where the Rangers are comfortable, trade him later.

I'm a Kreider guy, but trade Kreider and buy low on Zucker. He's locked in at I think 5 mill and can produce like Kreider. Supposedly Minnesota is trying to dump him. If you deal Kreider AND sign Panarin, Zucker could beva solid 2nd liner, who should fit Quinn's style.

Do we only want a 1st for Kreider? Gotta be a more fitting swap...

Wait wait wait. Screw that. Deal Kreider, sign Simmonds and Panarin.

I'm not sure Minny are trying to dump Zucker per se. They wanted to trade him for Kessel who, whatever you think of the fat bastard, brings a different level of scoring ability to a team absolutely desperate for offensive production. That's my understanding, at least.

This is where I'm leaning too. Forwards lacking some veteran presence and I think Kreider is the ideal type of guy to give that. Thinking if the extension isn't where the Rangers are comfortable, trade him later.

I'm all for keeping Kreider on a team friendly deal. Where it becomes tricky is if it becomes clear now that his ask is north of what the Rangers are prepared to pay. I'm not at all convinced Kreider lands you a 1st for next years draft as a rental. Considering everything we've heard about the quality and depth of the 20 draft class I'd expect teams to be even stingier with their 1st rounders than they were this year. I would feel pretty certain there are teams (Philly, Vancouver, Edmonton possibly) willing to give up a 1st rounder + for him at this years draft though. And I'm not sure how much there is to gain keeping him at MSG for a shortened season if they know he won't sign already.

I'm all for keeping Kreider on a team friendly deal. Where it becomes tricky is if it becomes clear now that his ask is north of what the Rangers are prepared to pay. I'm not at all convinced Kreider lands you a 1st for next years draft as a rental. Considering everything we've heard about the quality and depth of the 20 draft class I'd expect teams to be even stingier with their 1st rounders than they were this year. I would feel pretty certain there are teams (Philly, Vancouver, Edmonton possibly) willing to give up a 1st rounder + for him at this years draft though. And I'm not sure how much there is to gain keeping him at MSG for a shortened season if they know he won't sign already.

Kreider would have made a difference for 14 or 15 playoff teams last season. He'll get a first plus as a rental. He adds more than just points.

I think next year is a wait and see year. If they're not good, Kreider gets moved at the deadline.

Everyone keeps saying it has to happen at draft. It doesn't.

If they are adding to the roster and transitioning out of the rebuild somewhat, then you’re right. It can wait.

Zucker got paid for one good season, and a season into that contract, they’re looking to move him.

Replacement for Kreider has to be a big strong physical player that can play in front. They have no one else like that.

Zucker is the type of player to clog the roster instead of playing kids. Currently, kreider isn’t blocking anyone, but we don’t need more middle 6 players. And no acquiring bad contracts like this.

I disagree. Zucker is a pretty good two way forward. Definitely not as physical as Kreider should be (should), and notbas fast, but he's a legit 40-50 point guy. I mean, isn't that what Kreider is? Orcare we still holding out hope that he's going to finally put it all together?

5 mill for a 40-50 point 2nd line player isnt bad at all. We're talking possible 6-7 mill for Kreider? Why does Kreider s replacement have to be... Kreider? No reason they can't go in a different direction. If you need net presence put Lemieux in that spot... Or sign Simmonds.

To do what, next year? Be mediocre?

I'd rather be bad and get another early first rounder + a first for Kreider.

I think next year is a wait and see year. If they're not good, Kreider gets moved at the deadline.

Everyone keeps saying it has to happen at draft. It doesn't.

I think Pete's right on this one. There really is no hurry. Kreider is still under contract for this season, and should best be playing his ass off this season for a future contract, with whomever it may be. That in itself can light a fire under his ass, and it kills 2 birds with one rock:

A) He'll up his value considerably for a trade at the deadline to a contender

B) We can also just decide to keep him and offer him an extension

For the first time in a long time, the Rangers are holding the cards, and we have a lot of bargaining power with the fact that a generational talent is headed our way, and plenty of young studs on their way up!

I think Pete's right on this one. There really is no hurry. Kreider is still under contract for this season, and should best be playing his ass off this season for a future contract, with whomever it may be. That in itself can light a fire under his ass, and it kills 2 birds with one rock:

For the first time in a long time, the Rangers are holding the cards, and we have a lot of bargaining power with the fact that a generational talent is headed our way, and plenty of young studs on their way up!

If they weren’t in a position where they were adding more “win now” talent, it’s probably more important to move him sooner to get more for him. But they added Trouba and looking to add Panarin. They can ride it out with him and see what happens if they want to.

I disagree. Zucker is a pretty good two way forward. Definitely not as physical as Kreider should be (should), and notbas fast, but he's a legit 40-50 point guy. I mean, isn't that what Kreider is? Orcare we still holding out hope that he's going to finally put it all together?

5 mill for a 40-50 point 2nd line player isnt bad at all. We're talking possible 6-7 mill for Kreider? Why does Kreider s replacement have to be... Kreider? No reason they can't go in a different direction. If you need net presence put Lemieux in that spot... Or sign Simmonds.

The Rangers dont need 40-50 point guys on bad contracts. They dont need middle 6 players. They dont need back contracts.

Kreider adds an element this team needs more of. Zucker provides what we already have in Namestnikov, Vesey, Strome.

Sign Simmonds... what, just ... No man.

These are the types of moves that fuck over the team in 2 years. If you want a Zucker like player, target a cheaper change of scenery guy like Tyson Jost or Andre Burakovsky

No Danger Zone contracts!

I agree man, they're in a pretty decent spot with him right now. We should get a ton from him this year! ...and that bodes well for us in many ways ;)

Unless he white knuckles it all season because he's scared to get traded like Zuccarello.

The Rangers dont need 40-50 point guys on bad contracts. They dont need middle 6 players. They dont need back contracts.

Kreider adds an element this team needs more of. Zucker provides what we already have in Namestnikov, Vesey, Strome.

Sign Simmonds... what, just ... No man.

These are the types of moves that fuck over the team in 2 years. If you want a Zucker like player, target a cheaper change of scenery guy like Tyson Jost or Andre Burakovsky

No Danger Zone contracts!

I’d take CK over Zucker any day

Unless he white knuckles it all season because he's scared to get traded like Zuccarello.

I'm not sure Kreider would be as timid. Kreider is also at a different point in his career (age).

I dunno Josh man....I can't see Kreider burying his head in the sand this season...and think about it...Zucc, if he resigns over there will fetch us yet another #1 pick for 2020.

Either way I still think we'll win on the Kreider front

For me there are too many questions if you go into the year with him and no extension. What if he gets hurt? What if he has a down year statistically? What does this do to team morale with all the trade deadline chatter again? A lot can go wrong here with a pretty valuable asset. It's possible that if contract talks are unreasonably high AND if there isn't a great offer to trade, then carrying him into the season may be a forced backup plan.

For me there are too many questions if you go into the year with him and no extension. What if he gets hurt? What if he has a down year statistically? What does this do to team morale with all the trade deadline chatter again? A lot can go wrong here with a pretty valuable asset. It's possible that if contract talks are unreasonably high AND if there isn't a great offer to trade, then carrying him into the season may be a forced backup plan.

I'm sure they have an idea already as to how they're gonna handle it, but I don't think it's that big a risk.

If he gets hurt, then we can either still trade him on his potential value at the deadline, or even resign him at a lesser amount due to the injury or absence

If he has a down year statistically, he will still garner a decent return based on his past statistics and speed/size value to a contender. Kreider brings more than stats to the table. It's whether he uses them consistently that matters!

On top of that, I agree with Josh; If the veteran players here cannot deal with the fact that they're professional athletes and that being traded is part of the game...Hasta la vista baby!

I'm sure they have an idea already as to how they're gonna handle it, but I don't think it's that big a risk.

If he gets hurt, then we can either still trade him on his potential value at the deadline, or even resign him at a lesser amount due to the injury or absence

If he has a down year statistically, he will still garner a decent return based on his past statistics and speed/size value to a contender. Kreider brings more than stats to the table. It's whether he uses them consistently that matters!

On top of that, I agree with Josh; If the veteran players here cannot deal with the fact that they're professional athletes and that being traded is part of the game...Hasta la vista baby!

It's less about the veterans and more about the 18-21 year old kids seeing guys sort of sulk around waiting to be traded again. Love Zuccarello but he was a drag for a while last year. You'd think someone drowned his puppy in front of him at times. Maybe they've gotten rid of enough over the last 2 years that it's not a problem anymore, but it still seems more beneficial to make the decision now rather than later.

Yeah, I am thinking the Kreider situation gets resolved by this weekend. That Hayes contract is not helpful. Kreider has too much value now to take a chance on injury or poor performance. The numbers either work or they don’t.

It's less about the veterans and more about the 18-21 year old kids seeing guys sort of sulk around waiting to be traded again. Love Zuccarello but he was a drag for a while last year. You'd think someone drowned his puppy in front of him at times. Maybe they've gotten rid of enough over the last 2 years that it's not a problem anymore, but it still seems more beneficial to make the decision now rather than later.

yes yes yes

"It’s very dangerous when players lose hope,” Davidson said.