• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire D Jacob Trouba from WPG for D Neal Pionk, 20th Pick

Phil

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This off season is crazy, Gorton is insane.

New additions since last season:

Shesterkin

Rykov

Fox

Trouba

Kravtsov

Kakko

And all we gave up was a couple months of Hayes, Pionk, a 2nd and a 3rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Not to mention we're getting KAKKO with no.2 overall.

This offseason keeps getting better! LGR!

[emoji471][emoji322][emoji3][emoji7][emoji16][emoji323]

Sent from my LGL43AL using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The plot now thickens with respect to Kreider, Shatty and Panarin. Impossible not to love this trade. Could DeAngelo's improved play in the latter part of the season put him in play for a decent return now, or have we decided that we quite like him ourselves? We shall see.

The trade

New York Rangers receive Jacob Trouba

Winnipeg Jets receive Rangers 2019 first-round pick (No. 20 overall) and defenseman Neal Pionk

New York Rangers: A

For teams that want to address their defense, options are running out quickly. The Flyers grabbed Matt Niskanen for their top four and paid a premium to do it for a player who wasn’t coming off a great season. Erik Karlsson just got a massive contract that, if we’re being real, probably isn’t going to age well even if he’s one of the top three defensemen in the game. And now, Trouba is off the market.

He’s not a No. 1 defenseman but he’s a really good second-pair defenseman who can play on the top pair. He’s comfortable playing against the toughest competition. Without Dustin Byfuglien blocking the way, Trouba should be more of a regular on the power play.

“He’ll be a lot better on a different team,” said one NHL coach. “He’s more nuts and bolts – hard hat. … He’s strong on the puck. You’re not going to be scared (playing against him) but you know you’ll have to battle for the puck.”

“I like him but I don’t think he’s a brilliant guy with the puck,” said a Western Conference talent evaluator.

So yeah, at 25 years old, he’s still apt to make a questionable decision but that’s a positive of this deal – he’s still young. The Rangers are going to have to deal with a hard-lining agent in Kurt Overhardt, and if they extend the restricted free agent on a long-term deal, it’s probably going to be for more money than you want – likely at least $7 million per season. But that’s the price of poker. They knew that going in.

“I don’t like all the hassle and the angst about the contracts. But I do like Trouba,” said an NHL executive on Monday. “He’s a good player.”

And Trouba might have the perfect personality to play in New York because none of the outside noise bothers him at all. He’s a guy who has very publicly asked for a trade. His name has been in trade rumors for years. He can play under the spotlight without it seeping into his game.

“He has an aloofness to him that’s probably off-putting to a lot of people,” said one source who knows him well. “There’s some guys that will go anywhere or do anything for anyone. That’s not Jacob … there’s just some guys who don’t care about being in the limelight or being viewed positively outside of how they play.”

The beauty of this trade for the Rangers is that, even if they can’t extend him and things don’t work out in New York, there’s always the option to trade him at the deadline if necessary, where they can likely recoup what they gave up here, if not more.

https://theathletic.com/1033343/2019/06/17/nhl-trade-grades-rangers-get-the-edge-in-landing-jacob-trouba-from-jets/

Winnipeg was awarded what appears to be a very generous C+, given this was an absolute highway robbery that should result in criminal charges against Jeff Gorton.

Such an incredible double win as well. I mean not only did they get Trouba, they got rid of Pionk which I think many of us feared would be signed and played far more than he should going forward.

Wait, he?s not a number 1 pairing?
He will be 1st pair for us (along with some guys from Pete's beer league). He'll be PP, PK, 23m+ per game. Think of him as Zib for the defense. Young, improving, leadership type. Was held back behind Byfuglien in WIN. Ready to take a step forward. I think he'll be great for (and perhaps with) Skjei.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

https://nypost.com/2019/06/17/rangers-get-jacob-trouba-from-jets-in-blockbuster-trade/

The acquisition of Jacob Trouba most certainly does not represent a deviation from the Rangers’ plan to build from the ground up for the long-term. Rather, the addition of the 25-year-old righty defenseman enhances the program.

It sets up the Blueshirts to be a more competitive team this season, yes, for sure, but at no cost to the future. Trouba will be a fixture on Broadway for a long time; probably for at least the seven-year term of the contract the impending restricted free agent is expected to sign once negotiations kick into gear.

The cost of the contract will be high — start at $7.5 million per and go from there — but the cost of acquisition was far more reasonable than could reasonably have been expected. As reported by The Post on Saturday, Trouba was not only being aggressively sought by the Blueshirts, but by up to a dozen teams, including the Islanders and Devils

Larry's take. Later in the article he mentions $8 mill a year. Let's hope that he's off on this like he was on the parameters of the trade! I'm hoping somewhere around the 7 yr $50 mil range.

Good Christ! I thought this was an April fool's joke!! Allow me a second to get some clean shorts on......

Fucking Gorton!! Take a bow, sir!!!

What an off season!!!! I think our GM has had the best season of all so far!!!

NOW.....Kakko!!!!

Well, that was a huge shot in the arm for our defense!!!! We still have a lot of work to do, but holy fuck!! we've covered a ton of ground in only a few short months!!!

I'm still kind of in awe at this deal. WPG had to sell low, I guess, on a guy who doesn't want to be there, but damn.

So happy with getting rid of Pionk and acquiring Trouba.

The #20 pick is easier to swallow knowing that we have the #2 pick. Hahaha.

Hell, Kreider could very well get us back another first rounder if we so desire.

Lots of people coming out of the wood today, questioning Trouba's character.

I can see why the WPG fans would have a bad taste in their mouth. If it were NY, we would be roasting him on a spit at this point. Whether his reticence about the team/city was structural (fiance needing to be in the US, stuck behind Buff, etc.) or that he's just a jerk is probably in the eye of the beholder. Will definitely be interesting to see how he reacts to David Quinn's House of Discipline/Accountability/Knuckle Rapping.

I really don't even see a downside to this; I mean, even if he doesn't like it here, for whatever reason, we can easily get back a #1 at the trade deadline for him next season. I just can't see Trouba not liking NY. He's a pretty damn good player and will be a solid defenseman going forward.

Trouba and Fox on the PP??? Nice!

I can see why the WPG fans would have a bad taste in their mouth. If it were NY, we would be roasting him on a spit at this point. Whether his reticence about the team/city was structural (fiance needing to be in the US, stuck behind Buff, etc.) or that he's just a jerk is probably in the eye of the beholder. Will definitely be interesting to see how he reacts to David Quinn's House of Discipline/Accountability/Knuckle Rapping.

Let's just call a spade a spade: Jacob Trouba never liked Winnipeg, he never wanted to stay in Winnipeg, he did basically everything to force their hand to trade him for years, and he isn't the first athlete to pull that one, nor will he be the last.

Western Canada isn't a nice place, and that's being polite. It's actually a fucking dump.

Legit question: is Winnipeg really considered Western Canada?

I know that most of Manitoba, the entirety of Saskatchewan and Alberta up til the Rockies is basically a colder Iowa.

You think WPG fans will pick up on Josh's where's Pionk ? Great news to wake up to. JG is walking tall today. Bravo! LGRs!

I just keep shaking my head at my desk thinking...."Gorton!!! ....but how???" He's simply has to have pictures of Cheveldayoff!!! He's got to!!!! :rofl: