• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire D Jacob Trouba from WPG for D Neal Pionk, 20th Pick

Phil

Meh. I feel pretty confident it won't be that hard to get him to sign an extension.

giving up so little will make swallowing the cap hit a bit easier.

That's if he signs long-term.

Maybe Jets knew he wont sign long-term extension in NY??

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. I feel pretty confident it won't be that hard to get him to sign an extension.

What I mean is that he's making moves that take a while to play out. I read today that Zucc and Dallas were closing in on a deal -- both want him to stay. That would be yet another 1st next year if true, and a huge trade for them.

I’m officially impressed. Not just with signing a great player for very little and addressing a real need, but not being fooled into resigning Pionk and getting some value for him whilst his stock is up. Well played sir [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He's not signed yet and he'll likely be very expensive.

But it's a fucking steal, no doubt about it. As far as I'm concerned this move is the exact kind of move they've been talking about for this rebuild. Not going for the FA, but getting some skilled RFAs and letting them become the feature players of this team.

https://www.nhl.com/rangers/news/pregame-notes-rangers-at-jets-021219/c-304749828

Brady Skjei and Jacob Trouba were both selected in the first round of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. In addition, Skjei and Trouba were teammates with the United States National Team Development Program and helped the United States win a gold medal at the 2012 IIHF U18 World Championship.

Boo Nieves and Jacob Trouba were teammates at the University of Michigan for one season (2012-13).

Jimmy Vesey and Jacob Trouba helped the United States win a gold medal at the 2013 IIHF World Junior Championship.

So is this going to push Shattenkirk out the door? Buyout? Do they trade DeAngelo? Too many RH D men.

Do they go first pairing of Skjei Trouba?

Shit, do they turn around and trade him if they can't hammer out an extension before the draft?

He's not signed yet and he'll likely be very expensive.

But it's a fucking steal, no doubt about it. As far as I'm concerned this move is the exact kind of move they've been talking about for this rebuild. Not going for the FA, but getting some skilled RFAs and letting them become the feature players of this team.

Oh for sure. But it beats going after say Karlsson (ignoring the fact he resigned today) and overpaying. We own his rights so we have an element of control in the negotiations. Yes he could hold out again, but playing in NY is certainly more enticing that Winnipeg, if the difference between the two parties is nominal.

As I say I?m more impressed with not being coerced into resigning Pionk. Plus, I think this shows a real sign of intent to upcoming UFA?s like Panarin.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

They have to. He has no role and no means of building his value from this point.

Maybe they aren't committed to DeAngelo. If they aren't, why can't Shattenkirk play on the 3rd pairing with some time on the PP for a year? If he plays well in that role, someone might want him at a reduced cost. Otherwise, they can buy him out at that point for far cheaper.

Just...wow.

Just when you think Gorton's painted the masterpiece, he goes and does this. We literally traded Kevin Hayes and Neal Pionk for Trouba and Lemieux.

Unreal. Unbelievable work by Gorton.

Now - get him signed.

Dude.... I was thinking the same thing. When I was reading the article and finally read what we had traded I literally laughed out loud. Gorton is a STUD

I kind of wanted to make that 20 pick. Now the draft will be boring as shit.

Great deal, obviously, but will be interesting to see what Trouba gets for money, likely another eventual back breaker, but time will tell.

And, no Pionk. That's fantastic.

Seems like this might either mean Kreider is a goner or they will not be players for Panarin. Nobody wanted Smith or Shattenkirk so we can't get rid of it and a buyout is a bad decision right now.

To be fair on that last bit - Brooks was way off on the asks for Trouba, clearly. I think the markets for both Smith and Shattenkirk could start to form in mid-July, when the dust has settled. There are 5 teams with over 10m in space to hit the cap floor right now, and almost all of them could use a "player + mid prospect for cap space" sort of trade.

Great deal, obviously, but will be interesting to see what Trouba gets for money, likely another eventual back breaker, but time will tell.

Are you not entertained by the franchise player we're drafting?

Also, Trouba's deal won't be a back breaker because he's only 25. The "worst" we can do is sign him until he's 33, at which point he should still be a decent player.

Yeah, right there with you on all of that.

But I have no patience, and I dont see getting a Trouba at 20.

I dont feel like I can really complain about this trade...

I assume Gorton had his eye on one of their originals guys in the 6-9 range, couldnt move up there, and pulled the trigger on Trouba.

Are you not entertained by the franchise player we're drafting?

Also, Trouba's deal won't be a back breaker because he's only 25. The "worst" we can do is sign him until he's 33, at which point he should still be a decent player.

Yes, but I've been over it for weeks. It's fun playing the guessing game, and Kakko was never in doubt.

But hey, bird in hand and all that stuff.