• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

SJS Re-Sign D Erik Karlsson to 8-Year/$92M Extension; $11.5M AAV

Phil

Doug Wilson gets his guy. Again. Always.

Sure, but this is an unnerving contract for myriad reasons. Scary market, scary decisions coming up.

Tell you what, though - if I'm Jeff Gorton and I see the Sharks cap, I'm wondering if some of our depth and that #20 might just liberate Meier or Hertl from San Jose. 7 players eating up over 2/3 of the cap screams "depth problems"

Sure, but this is an unnerving contract for myriad reasons. Scary market, scary decisions coming up.

Tell you what, though - if I'm Jeff Gorton and I see the Sharks cap, I'm wondering if some of our depth and that #20 might just liberate Meier or Hertl from San Jose. 7 players eating up over 2/3 of the cap screams "depth problems"

Same cap percentage as Doughty deal. Not sure why anyone thought it would be any different? Even on a third of an ankle, or whatever the hell is left in his feet these days, he's still light years better than anyone else in the league.

Except this time he probably overpaid. He didn't grind anyone down.

I mean, what choice did he have? Generally speaking, though, he always seems to get his guys. I'm struggling to think of a single player the Sharks lost to free agency who they didn't explicitly want to lose to free agency.

Same cap percentage as Doughty deal. Not sure why anyone thought it would be any different? Even on a third of an ankle, or whatever the hell is left in his feet these days, he's still light years better than anyone else in the league.

Well, we're not being told 11m, we're being told over 11m, so it's not the same % as the Doughty deal. It's going to be more, and as good as a healthy Karlsson is - we've got enough info to know what ankle and knee injuries do to NHL careers. This is a colossal risk on the part of the Sharks for more than one reason (Karlsson's ankle, contracts due to some pretty key pieces, zero depth in their system and very little cash to acquire it in FA, the length of the deal). A healthy Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, but the healthy thing has been a problem for more than a season now.

If Erik Karlsson gets this much on one leg, I think we're going to see some insane things happen in the next 15 days.

Well, we're not being told 11m, we're being told over 11m, so it's not the same % as the Doughty deal. It's going to be more, and as good as a healthy Karlsson is - we've got enough info to know what ankle and knee injuries do to NHL careers. This is a colossal risk on the part of the Sharks for more than one reason (Karlsson's ankle, contracts due to some pretty key pieces, zero depth in their system and very little cash to acquire it in FA, the length of the deal). A healthy Karlsson is the best defenseman in the NHL, but the healthy thing has been a problem for more than a season now.

If Erik Karlsson gets this much on one leg, I think we're going to see some insane things happen in the next 15 days.

Mike, we're talking fractions of a percentage here. You're really going to die on this hill? It's effectively the same cap percentage, give or take a tenth here or there.

I agree it's a risk, but I'd argue it's one the Sharks, more than almost anyone else, can afford to take. They're going to be a perennial contender for at least the first half of this deal.

Mike, we're talking fractions of a percentage here. You're really going to die on this hill? It's effectively the same cap percentage, give or take a tenth here or there.

I agree it's a risk, but I'd argue it's one the Sharks, more than almost anyone else, can afford to take. They're going to be a perennial contender for at least the first half of this deal.

If it's 11.1, sure, whatever, same thing. Over 11m/y is pretty broad, there are a lot of numbers greater than 11m. For all we know he could be closer to 12m/y

Hot take, maybe, but I don't know if they're a perennial contender without another move. I think they got very, very fortunate to even get out of the first round and to try and double-down on that luck feels like the wrong move for a rapidly aging team.

Further, they're very top heavy, and while Burns-Karlsson-Vlasic as a top 3 is strong, they're nowhere near that at forward. Couture, Kane, Hertl, and not much more there currently under contract. If they decide to bring pack Thornton and Pavelski, they've probably got something like 6m (if both go "sweetheart deals") for 7 spots before figuring out Timo Meier. That doesn't include figuring out if Martin Jones wants to come back from wherever he's decided to be while the team around him gets better at hockey.

The two things working in their favor is that nobody can boast that level of defense, and at least for now, the Pacific is bad enough to let the Sharks run roughshod over them for at least another season or two.

I mean, what choice did he have? Generally speaking, though, he always seems to get his guys. I'm struggling to think of a single player the Sharks lost to free agency who they didn't explicitly want to lose to free agency.

Well they have the most term to offer and paid over market. You're not gonna lose many guys that way, and it's not rocket science or great management.

This probably means the end for Pavelski, tho.

Well they have the most term to offer and paid over market. You're not gonna lose many guys that way, and it's not rocket science or great management.

This probably means the end for Pavelski, tho.

How is this over the market when it's within tenths of a percentage of the Doughty deal relative to cap?

They now have the two highest-scoring defensemen in the league over the last five seasons under contract for the foreseeable future — how is that not great management?

How is this over the market when it's within tenths of a percentage of the Doughty deal relative to cap?

They now have the two highest-scoring defensemen in the league over the last five seasons under contract for the foreseeable future — how is that not great management?

I agree. Karlsson is the best defender in the game. Three years from now, that may not be the case, but that's the risk they're willing to take. He deserves the money and term and I'm not surprised he got it. Sharks have done very well remaining relevant and in constant contention for the last 10 years or so it seems. Their window has been open for as long as I can remember.

As far as Pavelski goes, I'd actually love to sign him here.

I agree. Karlsson is the best defender in the game. Three years from now, that may not be the case, but that's the risk they're willing to take. He deserves the money and term and I'm not surprised he got it. Sharks have done very well remaining relevant and in constant contention for the last 10 years or so it seems. Their window has been open for as long as I can remember.

As far as Pavelski goes, I'd actually love to sign him here.

Maybe, yeah, but again, they have both he and Burns. If anyone can afford to play him down in the lineup due to mounting injuries or a reduction in efficiency, it's San Jose.

Glad we have no part of this.

Just because LA decided to extend a contract similar doesn?t mean this one makes sense. EK is one more year at signing and contract work 4 million more?

And Herman has to be considered the top D in the league right now with 3 straight Norris nominations

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

LA had to regret the Doughty extension before the ink was even dry. SJ should get a bit longer enjoyment but this will inevitably blow up in their face, as well. It's just an attempt to keep their window open a couple years longer.

Sharks lines, end of year:

Meier-Couture-Nyqvist

Kane-Hertl-Pavelski

Sorensen-Thornton-Labanc

M Karlsson-Goodrow-Donskoi

Vlasic-Burns

Dillon-Karlsson

Ryan-Braun

Jones

Dell

Sharks lines, right now

???-Couture-???

Kane-Hertl-???

Sorensen-???-???

M Karlsson-Goodrow-???

Vlasic-Burns

Dillon-Karlsson

Ryan-Braun

Jones

Dell

12.5m in cap.

Meier isn't crazy to ask 6m+. Labanc isn't crazy to ask 5m+. Nyquist is gone, Pavelski, gone, Thornton, probably gone.

What do, Sharks? What do?