• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

WSH Re-Sign F Carl Hagelin to 4-Year/$11M Extension; $2.75M AAV

Phil

Incredibly frustrating player; speed to burn but doesn't finish. Odd that he went from a NYR staple with top 6/PP minutes to basically a journeyman. Good for him though; making good coin on a solid Eastern Conference contender is nice career. But not the career we might have hoped for when he joined up here.

Hags never had PP mins here.

Ridiculous revisionist history happening.

Was exactly what he projected to be here. In fact, over performed.

Grant you my recollection of his PP minutes was wrong.

But he was 5th in the Calder his rookie year, and really never much exceeded those numbers again.He consistently was 15-16 minutes a night in the regular season, and close to that in the playoffs here. His SH numbers belie his speed. Again, think we all thought his rookie season portended much better that what he is.He's at best stayed at that level of production in his better seasons. So mildly disagree as to him being what he projected to be here and elsewhere. Coming off that rookie season hopes were high. Trading him (and his getting traded like clockwork ever since) indicates he wasn't the solid top 6 guy we and each other team has hoped he might be. But they keep taking a chance on a fast guy on your 3rd line who can scare opposing teams on the PK.

Some source of amusement his 1st comparable is Don Maloney.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hagelca01.html

Grant you my recollection of his PP minutes was wrong.

But he was 5th in the Calder his rookie year, and really never much exceeded those numbers again.He consistently was 15-16 minutes a night in the regular season, and close to that in the playoffs here. His SH numbers belie his speed. Again, think we all thought his rookie season portended much better that what he is.He's at best stayed at that level of production in his better seasons. So mildly disagree as to him being what he projected to be here and elsewhere. Coming off that rookie season hopes were high. Trading him (and his getting traded like clockwork ever since) indicates he wasn't the solid top 6 guy we and each other team has hoped he might be. But they keep taking a chance on a fast guy on your 3rd line who can scare opposing teams on the PK.

Some source of amusement his 1st comparable is Don Maloney.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hagelca01.html

He was a 6th round pick. How high were your hopes?

Coming off his rookie season, 30 goals, 50+ points annually, basically...Don Maloney?
Well that sounds like you had unrealistic expectations. He paced 18 goals as a rookie... Krieder never scored 30.

I don't think people really understand how hard it is to score 30 goals in this league.

How so?

I just remember particularly when he played against the Rangers. Just running around the ice acting like a dick. Pushing and shoving and stirring shit unnecessarily. I guess he was trying to show that he hated the Rangers now or something like that.