• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Rivals Set to Battle for Jets? Jacob Trouba at Steep Cost

Phil

Speculation, knowing zero about their relationship.

I know nothing about their relationship

Generally though, when a decision of that magnitude is made for reasons that one party member doesn’t agree with, bad things follow.

But I’ll shit up now

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do Skjei or #20, Pionk and Andersson for Trouba.

No way you trade the assets it's going to take to get this guy, when you already have too many D men. I really don't see Andersson being more than a 3rd liner. I trade him quick.

The amount of crow that will be served to members on this board will be monumental if Lias Andersson develops into a good player.

Could happen

They need to exercise patience with him before they give up or trade him or whatever.

I don’t think he’s ever a star.

In looking at him, I think he winds up being like what Manny Malhotra was one day. 12-15 goals, 35ish points. Solid two ways. Win faceoffs. Kill penalties. Play a defensive role vs top offensive players.

That’s not a bad player to have. But being drafted at 7 overall, If that’s what he is, then he would likely be considered by most as disappointment. But possible he exceeds that.

Still too early to tell.

Could happen

They need to exercise patience with him before they give up or trade him or whatever.

I don’t think he’s ever a star.

In looking at him, I think he winds up being like what Manny Malhotra was one day. 12-15 goals, 35ish points. Solid two ways. Win faceoffs. Kill penalties. Play a defensive role vs top offensive players.

That’s not a bad player to have. But being drafted at 7 overall, If that’s what he is, then he would likely be considered by most as disappointment. But possible he exceeds that.

Still too early to tell.

He has more talent than he is given credit for.

I'd do Skjei or #20, Pionk and Andersson for Trouba.

No way you trade the assets it's going to take to get this guy, when you already have too many D men. I really don't see Andersson being more than a 3rd liner. I trade him quick.

I'd certainly do the 2nd deal from the Rangers perspective but if you're Winnipeg, why would you do that deal?

He has more talent than he is given credit for.

I don't crush the guy and have been pretty quiet so far when it comes to him (other than the bs move of throwing his medal over the glass in WJ's) but I'm not sure what you're seeing that leads you to believe this. Can he play in the NHL? Sure. But I'm not seeing anything that separates him from your regular bottom 6 center. Shoot, he may end up being as good as Jan Erixon or Sergei Nemchinov but that's not really what you're expecting with the #7 overall.

I don't crush the guy and have been pretty quiet so far when it comes to him (other than the bs move of throwing his medal over the glass in WJ's) but I'm not sure what you're seeing that leads you to believe this. Can he play in the NHL? Sure. But I'm not seeing anything that separates him from your regular bottom 6 center. Shoot, he may end up being as good as Jan Erixon or Sergei Nemchinov but that's not really what you're expecting with the #7 overall.

I think we have to give it up on tying him to 7th overall as a judgement of his worth. At this point, it simply doesn't matter how we got Andersson or where he went in the draft. Spilled milk under the bridge. The question now is what are his abilities, real world potential (or trade value, for that matter) and can he play a meaningful role on a team that intends to be a Stanley Cup contender in a few short years.

Per Craig Custance in the Athletic regarding Bruins chance of trading up:

The team also has to make a decision on Torey Krug, whose trade value won’t be higher than it is right now but also showed just how valuable he is to the Bruins during the playoffs. He’s entering the last year of his contract. So there’s real trade possibility for the always active Don Sweeney. Boston didn’t pick until No. 57 last year because of the Rick Nash trade, so they might be inclined to make this pick.

The price for Krug would also be high, but even more worth it with one more year at $5.25. Roughly the same offensive output as Trouba but nobody is going to tell me he can't play defense. Perhaps a better anchor and role model for the young D: undersized but physical, blocks shots, can move the puck, analytics out the ying-yang. A little older at 28, no ring but a vet of 4 playoff campaigns so far. No idea if availability is real, but worth exploring for Gorton.

Of the three experienced defenders on the Rangers, one is regularly benched for failure to execute and needs video reminders of how he used to play, one is relegated to forward in a desperate attempt to utilize him somehow, and the third is regarded as a broken down shadow of his former self and listed on Corsica as the 131st best left-handed defenseman in the NHL. The first two could be gone at any moment. The young forwards have Zib (and to a lesser and perhaps temporary extent Kreider) to look to as someone who has a stable leadership role on the team, gets it done nightly, and is more of a peer than senior adviser. Our young D-corps needs one of the same.

The amount of crow that will be served to members on this board will be monumental if Lias Andersson develops into a good player.

Define "good," because if you're about to argue that him becoming a 30-point third-line center who is dependable but unspectacular in all three zones is "good," I'm not eating anything.

• Like 1

Per Craig Custance in the Athletic regarding Bruins chance of trading up:

The price for Krug would also be high, but even more worth it with one more year at $5.25. Roughly the same offensive output as Trouba but nobody is going to tell me he can't play defense. Perhaps a better anchor and role model for the young D: undersized but physical, blocks shots, can move the puck, analytics out the ying-yang. A little older at 28, no ring but a vet of 4 playoff campaigns so far. No idea if availability is real, but worth exploring for Gorton.

Of the three experienced defenders on the Rangers, one is regularly benched for failure to execute and needs video reminders of how he used to play, one is relegated to forward in a desperate attempt to utilize him somehow, and the third is regarded as a broken down shadow of his former self and listed on Corsica as the 131st best left-handed defenseman in the NHL. The first two could be gone at any moment. The young forwards have Zib (and to a lesser and perhaps temporary extent Kreider) to look to as someone who has a stable leadership role on the team, gets it done nightly, and is more of a peer than senior adviser. Our young D-corps needs one of the same.

I just do not see Boston trading Krug. He and McAvoy are their defense at this point. I'd bet they find a way out of the Backes deal to make that space.

Boston's cap is phenomenally well-managed.

Define "good," because if you're about to argue that him becoming a 30-point third-line center who is dependable but unspectacular in all three zones, I'm not eating anything.

That would not be a “good” player

That’s an average to slightly above average NHL player

On a scale of 1-9, 9 buying the best, Andersson probably is a 5 or 6 when all is said and done. Maybe they get lucky and he’s a 7.

I'll go so far as to say if Andersson isn't a top-six, or at the absolute worst, an elite third-line forward, that pick is a god damned bust.

Early returns support that and there isn’t a ton there to lead us to believe he’ll blossom into something great

But 50 games.

Way early to truly assess him.

Get where you’re coming from with that bro

I'll go so far as to say if Andersson isn't a top-six, or at the absolute worst, an elite third-line forward, that pick is a god damned bust.

If Chytil was taken at 7, and Andersson at 21 I think we would be thrilled at this point.

Players taken after Andersson hasnt really set the NHL on fire.

hindsight 20/20, who would you rather have the Rangers taken? Suzuki? Cal Foote?

If Chytil was taken at 7, and Andersson at 21 I think we would be thrilled at this point.

Players taken after Andersson hasnt really set the NHL on fire.

hindsight 20/20, who would you rather have the Rangers taken? Suzuki? Cal Foote?

I think I'd rather have taken Mittelstadt over Andersson right this moment, but Andersson isn't the first 20 year old to struggle in the NHL. He'll probably get a shot at 3c this year, and I suppose what I'd like to see from him is something like 15/25/40 and solid two-way play.

Define "good," because if you're about to argue that him becoming a 30-point third-line center who is dependable but unspectacular in all three zones is "good," I'm not eating anything.

Fair ask. I think we drafted him at 7 with the hope he would turn into a good top 6 forward offensively, but mostly with the expectation he would really be that 2 way type of player like Stepan was. Leadership qualities were also touted IIRC. Let's say good is a strong two way game at the same production clip that Stepan exhibited.

I think I'd rather have taken Mittelstadt over Andersson right this moment, but Andersson isn't the first 20 year old to struggle in the NHL. He'll probably get a shot at 3c this year, and I suppose what I'd like to see from him is something like 15/25/40 and solid two-way play.

Gets the same hate from Sabres fans as Andersson gets from Rangers bloggers

Gets the same hate from Sabres fans as Andersson gets from Rangers bloggers

Yeah, the Sabres absolutely needed more from him for the hype, but I do think he'll project out better than Lias (or at least he has a better chance to slot in a top 6)

Sabres went Eichel, A Nylander, Middlestadt, plus acquired ROR - and were horrible. Imagine the meltdowns here.

As for Lias, sure, he needs to show it. Seems like he could be a prototypical Quinn guy, getting those top 6 minutes. But he needs to establish himself a lineup spot as an NHL player. He should be able to find himself on a line with guys with offensive skill. He needs to continue to progress as he did at the end of last season, and he needs to put up points. This season, he needs to start making an impression.

Sabres went Eichel, A Nylander, Middlestadt, plus acquired ROR - and were horrible. Imagine the meltdowns here.

As for Lias, sure, he needs to show it. Seems like he could be a prototypical Quinn guy, getting those top 6 minutes. But he needs to establish himself a lineup spot as an NHL player. He should be able to find himself on a line with guys with offensive skill. He needs to continue to progress as he did at the end of last season, and he needs to put up points. This season, he needs to start making an impression.

Buffalo is a place where NHLers go to lose their smiles, unfortunately.

I'm hopeful that Lias shows that progression next year - whether it's with us or not.

Agreed. Should also be some talent on the wings this season too to give him some confidence in camp and hopefully moving forward.

I'd love to see Anderson and Chytil get going early this year.