• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Rivals Set to Battle for Jets? Jacob Trouba at Steep Cost

Phil

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A strong no. 1 defensemen is key to a deep playoff run. A rock that can distribute the puck out of the defensive zone, and lock down forwards in front of the net. The rest of the defensive corps feed off the calm from the no. 1 and elevate their play. Down one goal in the third, a good no. 1 can pinch, join the offensive push, and help tie up the game.

No. 1 center, no. 1 defensemen, and goalie are probably the three most important positions on the roster, rank them however you choose. But as long as the Rangers have chaos in their back end, they can't compete.

I'm giving up late first round picks, Buchnevich, a prospect - JD can figure out a combination that works - and giving a long-term contract at full-value for Trouba. A long-term deal for a stud defensemen that is just entering his prime? Yes please!

2 firsts and a top 6 forward for a 26 year old D who we have to pay top dollar? No thanks. That's old Rangers thinking.

He's 25, not 26 which makes a big difference considering the majority of a 7 year deal would be prime years as the contract would end when he's 32. "Old Rangers thinking" would be to sign that 32 year old or trade for him when he's 31 -- but not at 25. That seems to fit with what's going on here.

I actually think he's a perfect fit in terms of age and asking price at 7m. The debate comes down to who do you give up for him. If he can fill the role that Pietrangelo or Seth Jones fills, then I'll move the listed players.

They should probably just pass on this deal

I don’t think they get their money’s worth and I don’t feel like Trouba is a true #1 D

Maybe he’s a top pairing guy, but as the 2nd guy in the pairing, and at present they don’t have that guy.

To be clear, 7 years and about $7.5 per isn’t actually to tier money. It’s the tier below

But still. Better to keep the assets and spend that money on their own guys down the line

He's 25, not 26 which makes a big difference considering the majority of a 7 year deal would be prime years as the contract would end when he's 32. "Old Rangers thinking" would be to sign that 32 year old or trade for him when he's 31 -- but not at 25. That seems to fit with what's going on here.

I actually think he's a perfect fit in terms of age and asking price at 7m. The debate comes down to who do you give up for him. If he can fill the role that Pietrangelo or Seth Jones fills, then I'll move the listed players.

He's not Pietrangelo or Jones and it's not even close.

25 versus 26 doesn't make a big different at all. It's a year, not 3. And regardless, he turns 26 half way through the season in February.

Point is, he's not 22. You're giving (2) first round picks, plus a top 6 player, plus $7 over 7 years?

Would rather see what Karlsson thinks of $9 million and keep the #20, Lundkvist and Buch.

He's not Pietrangelo or Jones and it's not even close.

25 versus 26 doesn't make a big different at all. It's a year, not 3. And regardless, he turns 26 half way through the season in February.

Point is, he's not 22. You're giving (2) first round picks, plus a top 6 player, plus $7 over 7 years?

Would rather see what Karlsson thinks of $9 million and keep the #20, Lundkvist and Buch.

I agree

Though I think Karlsson stays in San Jose and takes the massive deal he has on the table from them, if that is in fact the case. He’d be foolish to turn down all that money from them. No one else comes close to that amount for him. And his homesick wife can go fuck herself. Who wouldn’t want to live out there? One of the best places in the world to live if you’re young, rich and famous. And she’s pining for Ottawa?

The more you hear about her and her behavior, the more I think that shit with her and Hoffman’s wife was bullshit or Karlsson’s wife was the main party responsible for that whole mess

I’m also adamantly opposed to giving up number 20 or Andersson.

They need all the 1st round draft capital they can get in a rebuild and while the early returns on Andersson have been a disappointment, and he was probably a bit of a reach at #7, he still had a grade in approximately the 10-12 range, and he’s played 49 NHL games. Let him play and develop and see where he’s at sometime in 2021

I?m also adamantly opposed to giving up number 20 or Andersson.

They need all the 1st round draft capital they can get in a rebuild and while the early returns on Andersson have been a disappointment, and he was probably a bit of a reach at #7, he still had a grade in approximately the 10-12 range, and he?s played 49 NHL games. Let him play and develop and see where he?s at sometime in 2021

I agree

Though I think Karlsson stays in San Jose and takes the massive deal he has on the table from them, if that is in fact the case. He?d be foolish to turn down all that money from them. No one else comes close to that amount for him. And his homesick wife can go fuck herself. Who wouldn?t want to live out there? One of the best places in the world to live if you?re young, rich and famous. And she?s pining for Ottawa?

The more you hear about her and her behavior, the more I think that shit with her and Hoffman?s wife was bullshit or Karlsson?s wife was the main party responsible for that whole mess

The Karlsson's suffered a miscarriage not too long ago. I don't blame his wife for wanting to be with her family.

I agree

Though I think Karlsson stays in San Jose and takes the massive deal he has on the table from them, if that is in fact the case. He’d be foolish to turn down all that money from them. No one else comes close to that amount for him. And his homesick wife can go fuck herself. Who wouldn’t want to live out there? One of the best places in the world to live if you’re young, rich and famous. And she’s pining for Ottawa?

The more you hear about her and her behavior, the more I think that shit with her and Hoffman’s wife was bullshit or Karlsson’s wife was the main party responsible for that whole mess

Lol there's nothing wrong with wanting to be close to family and home. That's nonsense.

Yeah

I get all that.

But she’s married to a millionaire

She go to Ottawa whenever she wants.

I’ve been through miscarriage myself

People get over them.

It totally sucks. But life goes on and you have to move forward. It’s unreasonable to make a decision that effects the next 8 years of your life based on an incident that many people deal with and move past in a relatively short period of time

Not trying to be insensitive or anything. Just realistic

Not to mention that Ottawa didn’t treat them well last time and that franchise will be a mess as long as Melnyk owns it

I agree

Though I think Karlsson stays in San Jose and takes the massive deal he has on the table from them, if that is in fact the case. He?d be foolish to turn down all that money from them. No one else comes close to that amount for him. And his homesick wife can go fuck herself. Who wouldn?t want to live out there? One of the best places in the world to live if you?re young, rich and famous. And she?s pining for Ottawa?

The more you hear about her and her behavior, the more I think that shit with her and Hoffman?s wife was bullshit or Karlsson?s wife was the main party responsible for that whole mess

Couldn?t pay me enough money to live in the cesspool that is California. Living here is bad enough.

That?s true

But 8 years shouldn?t be in the ballpark

That's not for you or anyone else to say, when making a decision today.

Money isn't an issue for them.

My issue with your statement is the complete and utter speculation that she's some kind of cancer and was the one who was REALLY responsible for the Hoffman situation.

Maybe Hoffman's is wife said "get over it", or something crass like that.

That's not for you or anyone else to say, when making a decision today.

Money isn't an issue for them.

My issue with your statement is the complete and utter speculation that she's some kind of cancer and was the one who was REALLY responsible for the Hoffman situation.

Maybe Hoffman's is wife said "get over it", or something crass like that.

I can see how you might feel I meant that

I didn’t

But do you honestly care what I think about Karlsson’s wife?

Only saying that she seems to have an awful lot of influence over his decisions

I’m old school on that I’ll admit. Especially when he earns probably all of the money. In that situation, I think she should defer to him.

Just my opinion.

I can see how you might feel I meant that

I didn?t

But do you honestly care what I think about Karlsson?s wife?

Only saying that she seems to have an awful lot of influence over his decisions

I?m old school on that I?ll admit. Especially when he earns probably all of the money. In that situation, I think she should defer to him.

Just my opinion.

I think it's shitty to say that a woman who had a miscarriage should suck it up and defer to her husband because he makes all the money.

He's already made close to $50 million.

Some things transcend money. Like my wife's mental state.

• Like 1