• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers, Rivals Set to Battle for Jets? Jacob Trouba at Steep Cost

Phil

The Rangers and Islanders are among the most aggressive teams in pursuit of Jets defenseman Jacob Trouba, The Post has learned, with the Devils also in the chase.

Trouba, the 25-year-old impending restricted free agent for whom the Jets are soliciting offers, would slide into the right side of the first pair for either club. But his acquisition would come at a steep cost, both in terms of personnel going the other way in a trade package and the long-term contract Trouba would command.

Winnipeg, according to several sources, has yet to give permission to inquiring clubs to speak with Trouba?s agent, Kurt Overhardt, about a contract. One would figure seven years at up to $7.5 million per season for the Michigan native ? who recorded 50 points (8-42) last season, 13th most among defensemen. His 42 assists tied for ninth among blue-liners.

The Rangers, of course, own Winnipeg?s first-rounder at 20th overall, as part of the bounty ? Brendan Lemieux, too ? obtained in the lend-lease deal for Kevin Hayes. General manager Jeff Gorton, whom we are told is pushing mighty hard for Trouba, could offer that pick, impending restricted free agent Pavel Buchnevich and, perhaps, Nils Lundkvist to the Jets.

That might not be enough, not with Lou Lamoriello lurking ? and, for that matter, Ray Shero, as well. Both the Islanders and Devils are loaded with prospects who might be expendable in a deal for Trouba, who has played six seasons in the NHL out of the University of Michigan following his 2012 ninth-overall selection by the Jets.

Question: Does the price become too high for the Rangers if the Jets demand Lias Andersson be included in the package?

https://nypost.com/2019/06/15/rangers-rivals-set-to-battle-for-jets-jacob-trouba-at-steep-cost/

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd feel way better about making that trade on July 3 if we've completely changed course and are clearly in a "flip the switch" year.

This is a deal you make when your team missed the playoffs by 2 points and did so by riding the wave of the future you're expecting to lead the way. This isn't a trade you make when you picked your future anchor 45 minutes ago and almost anyone who is going to be a part of that winning team hasn't played an NHL game.

Lundkvist about to be #2 on his SEL team.

Andersson is still a 20-year old, #7 pick and should eventually be the ideal quinn middle 6er.

Buchnevich might have turned a corner last season...

Not the guys you trade now. If other moves are made this summer, indicating they may be a contender, sure. But that’s “old rangers”, and notnwhat JD seems to be preaching.

I think, long-term, the greater value is in keeping those 3 assets around as opposed to Trouba.

Like Trouba a lot. But I don’t know that he’s a franchise type D, and that’s a stiff price.

Agreed. The rangers are set up to enjoy the benefits of having multiple cheap assets contributing at the nhl level for years. I don’t get why they are seemingly linked to every player that flies in the face of that. That is a huge price for trouba and then you have to sign him to 7 years x $7.5. No thanks.

With an extension in place, this framework would be as close to a hockey trade as you'll find made this summer.

It's two late firsts (20, Lundkvist) and a top-six forward (Buch) for Trouba plus long-term extension.

With an extension in place, this framework would be as close to a hockey trade as you'll find made this summer.

It's two late firsts (20, Lundkvist) and a top-six forward (Buch) for Trouba plus long-term extension.

That's not a good trade for the Rangers.

I’m very conflicted on this. I can’t tell what I think.

On one hand I don’t think you know what you’ve got with Lundkvist or the 20th OA. Could be absolutely nothing for all we know. Buch would be the hardest to give up but even he has a ton of question marks and will be relegated to third line with Kakko and Kravstov. Realistically, the jets are bound to strike gold on at least one of them.

On the other hand — the inverse of the above is true. We’re bound to strike gold on one of them.

No thanks on giving up that much on a player no longer cost controlled and about to hit free agency

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Agreed. There may not be a player just like this available for free as a UFA this year, but this is the kind of contract you have to give to get a UFA typically without paying anything in terms of players and picks. I understand that Kreider is a little older and not a right handed defenseman, but it is hard for me to see not extending him and then turning around and giving up a rich package for the privilege of signing a guy to the equivalent of UFA terms. Whoever gets Trouba will pay a very dear price. That doesn't make sense for us before we are about to embark on a year with perhaps five or even six rookies on the roster. Better to do this kind of deal next year, after the dust settles a bit, because there is a huge cloud of dust right now.

I have some misgivings about giving up those players, but there is certainly an argument as to why it makes sense for the Rangers to pull the trigger on a deal like that.

I would question whether that's the sort of deal the Jets are looking for though. I'd imagine they're looking for immediate help on the blue line, given both Trouba and Myers are likely to be off. I highly doubt they're looking for a deal focused on futures and a serviceable middle six winger.

The acceleration of the rebuild has been a little bit illusory, with the advent of Kakko/Hughes and all of the Panarin talk over the first half of the year. But the goal of the process is not to have a bunch of (half?) decent prospects, many playing in Hartford trying to define themselves. At some point, we have to turn that quantity into Cup-worthy quality, while hopefully keeping our best futures. I think the era of actual contention still begins on 10/1/21 and it should last for 5 years, more if we're lucky. A 7-year deal for Trouba cements a proven asset entering his prime that can help define that period and serve as a strong positive influence on Hajek, Rykov, DeAngelo, Miller, Fox, etc in the run-up to it. The next 2 years will be tumultuous, with virtually all of the veteran presence exiting one way or another. I think bringing in a piece now that immediately becomes 1D, but perhaps more importantly leads the reconstruction of the blue line while spanning all those changes to the room is well worth $7.5 per, a couple younger players who have put up mostly question marks thus far - even if they turn out to be good - and #20, which is a promising lottery ticket, but a lottery ticket just the same.
  • Like 1