• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Sabres Have Talked to Rangers About Jimmy Vesey

Phil

9. There?s a ton of trade talk. Among the most aggressive teams: Buffalo, Calgary, Chicago, Minnesota, Nashville, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vancouver, Vegas, Washington and Winnipeg. Depending on how the draft goes, we could see some frenetic attempts to move up and down.

The Sabres have talked to the Rangers about Jimmy Vesey.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-sharks-still-shot-keeping-erik-karlsson/

I don't know why everyone is jaded against this guy. He was a third rounder who was never overpaid and produced what you'd expect a 3rd rounder to produce. And he's a dick to play against.

I mean he's not a must keep, but people hate this guy. Not sure why.

I don't think he's a great 3rd liner. He's kind of a tweener. Not good enough for 2nd line duty if you're a serious team, neither is he particularly adept at a 3rd line role. He has no defensive bona fides, and while he's made strides at being tougher to play against, that pretty inconsistent as far as I can tell.

Was fine on a ELC, but not sure there's much value there going forward.

I don't know why everyone is jaded against this guy. He was a third rounder who was never overpaid and produced what you'd expect a 3rd rounder to produce. And he's a dick to play against.

I wonder the same thing. He didn't become a top 6 forward and maybe some thought he would, but he's shown some progression every season even if it was just very small progression. It's not hard to see him as a ~20/20 player who plays with an edge going into the middle of his career.

I hate his face, his personality, and his demeanor.

He’s a fine 3rd liner. But I don’t need him. In fact he and Hayes are my least liked Rangers in years.

I mean, he looks like an enormous 7 year old.

Real reason? He's pedestrian. He does everything precisely as averagely as can be. We have had enough of those guys in the past and frankly, have a surplus of them right now.

I don't really care if it's him or Namestnikov or Nieves or Brickley or whatever out there.

I mean, he looks like an enormous 7 year old.

Real reason? He's pedestrian. He does everything precisely as averagely as can be. We have had enough of those guys in the past and frankly, have a surplus of them right now.

I don't really care if it's him or Namestnikov or Nieves or Brickley or whatever out there.

That's not a reason to hate him. It's a reason not to care about him... Hate takes effort.

Being the Hobey Baker award winner is not easy. He was Jimmy "fuckin" Vesey (per Mats Zucc). He's a self admitted goal scorer. And we saw some flashes of skill but just not enough. He, like Hayes used the college loophole to screw his signing team. You do that you better live up to any hype. He hasn't. He plays 1 or 2 games well, then coasts for 3. I'm sure when he leaves he'll become a star but not for the Rangers. Deal him now and move on. He hasn't lived up to the hype.

Being the Hobey Baker award winner is not easy. He was Jimmy "fuckin" Vesey (per Mats Zucc). He's a self admitted goal scorer. And we saw some flashes of skill but just not enough. He, like Hayes used the college loophole to screw his signing team. You do that you better live up to any hype. He hasn't. He plays 1 or 2 games well, then coasts for 3. I'm sure when he leaves he'll become a star but not for the Rangers. Deal him now and move on. He hasn't lived up to the hype.
I don't get what not signing with his draft team has anything to do with it. He followed the rules.

My problem with Vesey is that he’s neither here nor there. He isn’t skilled enough to play a top 6 role, and isn’t dependable enough to play a bottom 6 role. His defensive game has massive holes, he suffers from poor decision making, his possession stats are abysmal and iirc he was a massive anchor statistically for anyone he played with last season.

Moving him should be an easy decision if they can find a taker.

My problem with Vesey is that he?s neither here nor there. He isn?t skilled enough to play a top 6 role, and isn?t dependable enough to play a bottom 6 role. His defensive game has massive holes, he suffers from poor decision making, his possession stats are abysmal and iirc he was a massive anchor statistically for anyone he played with last season.

Moving him should be an easy decision if they can find a taker.

Moving him is an easy decision.

But the stats don't really align with your description and he's a decent player who's cost controlled.

Jimmy Vesey is a pretty good player.

The Rangers don't need him.

Why can't both be true?

It's all about the effort. It's not there game in and game out. Not even close. And he is as streaky as they come. You're all over Kreider for exactly the same thing and Vesey disappears for longer stretches without offering anything in return.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Moving him is an easy decision.

But the stats don't really align with your description and he's a decent player who's cost controlled.

Jimmy Vesey is a pretty good player.

The Rangers don't need him.

Why can't both be true?

Which stats would that be? His underlying metrics are terrible.

Jimmy Vesey is an ok player. Imo he hasn’t been able to make the transition a large portion of skilled junior/college guys have to make when they get to the NHL. He isn’t good enough to be a skills guy and he lacks a lot of the things you’re looking for in a bottom 6 role. There’s probably a job for him in the NHL, I don’t disagree with that.

It's all about the effort. It's not there game in and game out. Not even close. And he is as streaky as they come. You're all over Kreider for exactly the same thing and Vesey disappears for longer stretches without offering anything in return.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Well he's a third round pick and a third line player vs a first round pick and first line player. No one is thinking of paying Vesey $6 million+.

Which stats would that be? His underlying metrics are terrible.

Jimmy Vesey is an ok player. Imo he hasn’t been able to make the transition a large portion of skilled junior/college guys have to make when they get to the NHL. He isn’t good enough to be a skills guy and he lacks a lot of the things you’re looking for in a bottom 6 role. There’s probably a job for him in the NHL, I don’t disagree with that.

Which underlying metrics? His analytics have actually gotten better ever year in the league. He gets a lot of D Zone starts for someone you're saying is a terrible defensive player, and was part of the PK group.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I don't get why anyone spends any amount of feelings hating the guy. He's just a guy. Like you forget he's there, most of the time.

Well he's a third round pick and a third line player vs a first round pick and first line player. No one is thinking of paying Vesey $6 million+.

Which underlying metrics? His analytics have actually gotten better ever year in the league. He gets a lot of D Zone starts for someone you're saying is a terrible defensive player, and was part of the PK group.

I guess what I'm really saying is that I don't get why anyone spends any amount of feelings hating the guy. He's just a guy. Like you forget he's there, most of the time.

Vesey gets way more ire than he deserves

He’s about what he was projected to be. Middle 6 guy. Decent offensive skill, could be better defensively. But he’s by no means this massive disappointment that was sold as something better than he is.

Agree with the last bit.

He has a negative effect on his line mates possession and shot share metrics. I’m not sure I said he’s terrible defensively, but he certainly isn’t the type of guy you’d trust to be out there shutting down top lines. It’s an opinion, but like I said I don’t like his decision making and I don’t feel his game is suited to a bottom 6 role like say the guys you’ve just seen for the Blues and Bruins.

But hate is a strong word and you’re probably right in that people feel that way about him because of his face.

Agree with the last bit.

He has a negative effect on his line mates possession and shot share metrics. I?m not sure I said he?s terrible defensively, but he certainly isn?t the type of guy you?d trust to be out there shutting down top lines. It?s an opinion, but like I said I don?t like his decision making and I don?t feel his game is suited to a bottom 6 role like say the guys you?ve just seen for the Blues and Bruins.

But hate is a strong word and you?re probably right in that people feel that way about him because of his face.

Yea I mean his face has a +34 punchable rating. Agree there lol.

I don't get what not signing with his draft team has anything to do with it. He followed the rules.
It's like if K'A Miller decides to stay in college for 4 years and then chooses to sign with a different team. Yeah, it's within the rules but that skidmark isn't coming out in the wash. It is considered a loophole and will remain in the players file so to speak.