• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Blue Jackets Name Rick Nash Special Assistant to GM

Phil

Rick Nash is now the Dwight Schrute to Jarmo Kekalainen?s Michael Scott.

The former Columbus Blue Jackets captain has been named special assistant to the general manager, the team announced Thursday.

?Rick is the most decorated player in Blue Jackets history and was one of the game?s most respected players during a career that included multiple All-Star Games, Olympic and World Championship gold medals and a Stanley Cup Final appearance,? Kekalainen said in a press release. ?He cares deeply about the Blue Jackets and the city of Columbus and will be a great addition to our organization.?

Nash announced his retirement from professional hockey in January after he was unable to return from lingering concussion symptoms. He spent 674 games with the Blue Jackets, registering 289 goals and 547 points after being drafted first overall in 2002.

The 34-year-old should be rather busy aiding Kekalainen this summer as the team may need to significantly retool a roster that has several high-profile pending unrestricted free agents, including goalie Sergei Bobrovsky and star forwards Artemi Panarin and Matt Duchene.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/blue-jackets-name-ex-captain-rick-nash-special-assistant-gm/

I would have moaned my way out of Columbus if I was an elite player who had to waste the flower of my youth for seven years there. McDavid is going to look at Nash's experience and start moaning a lot sooner.

i think this picks up steam in a big time way if things don't turn around up there this year. part of the reason i'm all about trading as much as we can to have picks in the till, which would be a big part of any deal for him. damn he'd look good on broadway.

Ricky Ca$h grabbed in excess of $100,000,000.00 in his career; a big part of that from Columbus. The obligation to stay or not in Columbus was his choice to make. As their captain, it would have been a prudent decision on his part to remain there, and help with their goal of trying to improve the team. Instead he pretty much begged and cajoled his way out of there. His arrival in NYC surely defined his regular play. Good scorer, except in the play-offs where he failed miserably. Injury prone and in many games a perimeter player and invisible although he was 6'-4" and 219 lbs. An " elite " power forward he was not. Given his natural ability and size, he might well have been recognized as one of the best the NHL had to offer. However, that was not to be. Now he has gone full circle and is back where he begged to leave. And into the bargain, he stated that he always wanted to return to Columbus. Go figure.
  • Like 1

@Pete. " redid " the math; $91,700,000.00 total earnings. I may be mistaken but if IIRC, he also received bonuses which don't show.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/rick-nash

Nonetheless, the point being that he now says that he always wanted to be in Columbus but wanted out of a rebuild after originally getting a record contract at the time for a rookie.