• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

NHL Mock Draft: Beat Writers Project 2019 1st Round

Blue Heaven

https://theathletic.com/1023266/2019/06/13/nhl-mock-draft-beat-writers-project-the-2019-first-round/

20. New York Rangers (from Jets)

Raphael Lavoie, RW, Halifax-QMJHL

The Rangers, who traded away a big, skilled center in Kevin Hayes to get this pick (and Brendan Lemieux), select a similarly sized Lavoie (almost 6-foot-4, 196 pounds). With Kakko taken earlier in the first round and last year?s first-rounder Vitali Kravtsov set to arrive in the NHL, and very likely an addition (or two) in free agency, the Rangers? forward list has quickly filled up. But having selected six defensemen in the draft in 2018, the Rangers are replenishing up front, and you can never have enough scoring. Lavoie, a right-handed shot, scored 32 goals and 72 points in 62 games for Halifax in the QMJHL this season, and a remarkable 20 goals, 32 points in 23 playoff games. ? Carpinello

Pronman: Adding a top scoring talent at No. 20 will be important for the Rangers, who don?t have a ton of high-end skill types in their system right now outside Kakko and Vitali Kravtsov. Lavoie brings skill, speed and goal-scoring ability to the table in a big frame.

Completely agree with Pronman's reasoning behind getting a forward, there. Not sure Lavoie will still be there. I'm thinking Montreal grabs him. And didnt he play mostly Center this season? What position did he play during the playoffs?

I agree with Josh that he may not be there at 20. The kid is huge and physical. But who wouldn't be physical when you're a full head taller than anyone else on the ice? Looks like he is playing with peewees in his highlight reel. I think Quinn would love him. FWIW, Pronman picked Tomasino over Lavoie in that slot in his own mock draft and had both he and Hoglander rated ahead (but on the same tier).

Completely agree with Pronman's reasoning behind getting a forward, there. Not sure Lavoie will still be there. I'm thinking Montreal grabs him. And didnt he play mostly Center this season? What position did he play during the playoffs?

given the cap, there's nothing wrong with the mindset of having guys be able to play wing/center in this day and age. best O'lines in football are constructed with guys that can move inside and outside, left and right. modern day thinking in my opinion

I'd like to believe position doesn't matter for how the Rangers will draft. They should be selecting BPA if there is a clear cut BPA at the spot. Defense, forward, doesn't matter. They need it all moving forward. If Lavoie is BPA, excellent.

Except if Knight is available and then I say pass on that. Otherwise, BPA.

"BPA" doesnt really exist at 20.

BPA at 2 this season, sure. It's obvious. at 20 - no.

Agreed. After 2, about 3-12 blurs into a high end talent tier. Then 13-26 seems to me the next rough talent tier. In that group, BPA becomes hardly distinguishable shades of grey and you might as well go after strengths and features that you want.

"BPA" doesnt really exist at 20.

BPA at 2 this season, sure. It's obvious. at 20 - no.

Agreed. After 2, about 3-12 blurs into a high end talent tier. Then 13-26 seems to me the next rough talent tier. In that group, BPA becomes hardly distinguishable shades of grey and you might as well go after strengths and features that you want.

If this were the case, there wouldn't be trades in that pick range. Teams seem to feel differently. The Rangers traded from 26 to 22 last year for Miller didn't they? They thought he was BPA.

If this were the case, there wouldn't be trades in that pick range. Teams seem to feel differently. The Rangers traded from 26 to 22 last year for Miller didn't they? They thought he was BPA.

But that’s not waiting for your pick to draft “bpa”. If they have a guy they like, or obvious bpa, yes - trade up, pick him, etc. it’s very rare that there is an obvious best player among those remaining. That’s all