• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Already Keeping Eye on 2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

The Rangers will be no different. But just like the last time, when general manager Jeff Gorton took a Zen approach to the Vegas draft and came away from it about as whole as possible in losing only Oscar Lindberg, the Blueshirts won’t overreact.

“It’s something to keep in mind,” Gorton told The Post. “We’ve already done modeling on different scenarios and projections, but we did that in advance of the last time and there were a number of changes.

“Same as with Vegas, we know we’re going to lose a player and probably will be a pretty good player. That’s the way it is.”

Presuming the Rangers go with the 7-3-1 protection formula (seven forwards, three defensemen, one goaltender), an issue up front could develop. That’s one of the reasons Gorton will be very careful signing players to contracts including full no-move clauses that by definition preclude exposure in the draft. Few marquee free agents will be willing to sign without getting that type of no-move protection.

“The no-move comes up all the time in conversations,” Gorton said. “No doubt, that’s something we’re taking into consideration.”

https://nypost.com/2019/06/12/rangers-already-keeping-eye-on-2021-seattle-expansion-draft/

--

Larry's been busy. Have to feel o.k. with this. Looks like we are in good position not to get picked off.

I'm actually not too worried about Hank anymore. We have some time before this squad is ready to rock and his contract will be up by then. Besides, JD speaks fluent "goalie" and I think they'll come to terms on what's going to go down. I'm cool with Hank playing it out here. No need for buyouts and wasting picks. We have other shit that needs to be sent packing first. At least Hank can contribute and compete at a decently high level still.

You may not have to worry about it, but any team would be foolish to not start thinking about it

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

But how can a team start thinking about it when they don't even know who will be on the team and who won't be. 2 years is a long time, and anything can happen between now and then. Guys we could think are going to be good, can be busts and guys we think we can expose may turn out to be guys you have to keep because they are playing so well. Plus, you don't know who is gonna be moved out in a trade scenario.

But how can a team start thinking about it when they don't even know who will be on the team and who won't be. 2 years is a long time, and anything can happen between now and then. Guys we could think are going to be good, can be busts and guys we think we can expose may turn out to be guys you have to keep because they are playing so well. Plus, you don't know who is gonna be moved out in a trade scenario.

Example- Would you sign

Kreider to 5 years at 25 million

Vesey to 3 years at 6 million

Howden to 3 years at 5 million

Panarin to 5 years at 30 million

Each with a NTC?

Right.

And garbage being off the books means you're losing a good young player. That's a good reason to keep guys like Strome around.

Not if that garbage has NMC and you have to protect them

Not saying they shouldn’t be thinking about it and employ strategic thinking but there are other priorities requiring greater attention right now

Example- Would you sign

Kreider to 5 years at 25 million (YES)

Vesey to 3 years at 6 million (NO)

Howden to 3 years at 5 million (NO)

Panarin to 5 years at 30 million (YES)

Each with a NTC?

Vesey would have to really light the lamp early and often this coming season for me to say he?s a keeper.

Example- Would you sign

Kreider to 5 years at 25 million

Vesey to 3 years at 6 million

Howden to 3 years at 5 million

Panarin to 5 years at 30 million

Each with a NTC?

Even if there wasn't an expansion draft, I wouldn't want to give anyone a NTC. They are what is going to lead the league to the next lockout because they are hampering too many teams.