• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Even with Retention, "No Interest" in Shattenkirk or Smith on Trade Market

Phil

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Shatty you live and die by the sword. That's how it's always been. I think between injuries he's actually played like "himself" and been effective. But there's no doubt in my mind injuries have severely hampered his abilities here. Mix that with poor or inexperienced partners and you have a recipe for disaster.

I really don't think the Rangers were a good match for Shattenkirk but I don't think he's a bad defensemen -- which is part of the reason why I don't want to buy him out.

With Shatty you live and die by the sword. That's how it's always been. I think between injuries he's actually played like "himself" and been effective. But there's no doubt in my mind injuries have severely hampered his abilities here. Mix that with poor or inexperienced partners and you have a recipe for disaster.

I really don't think the Rangers were a good match for Shattenkirk but I don't think he's a bad defensemen -- which is part of the reason why I don't want to buy him out.

Why wouldn't you want to get rid of a guy who's making $6 million and is easily the 6th worst D on the team, and probably the 4th worst RHD?

It makes literally zero sense to keep him.

If you can get rid of him you do it. He’s probably going to have to be bought out if not. He has no future with this team or what they are building. If didnt make sense to sign him then and even less sense to keep him now if afforded the choice to be able to move him.

Why wouldn't you want to get rid of a guy who's making $6 million and is easily the 6th worst D on the team, and probably the 4th worst RHD?

It makes literally zero sense to keep him.

I didn't say I didn't want to get rid of him, I said I don't want to buy him out. If they can't find a trade partner, then kick the can down the road for another season. It's not worth it to buy him out and I think he could actually be mediocre next year if he's healthy.

Then, you try to trade him again.

I didn't say I didn't want to get rid of him, I said I don't want to buy him out. If they can't find a trade partner, then kick the can down the road for another season. It's not worth it to buy him out and I think he could actually be mediocre next year if he's healthy.

Then, you try to trade him again.

Ah, gotcha.

I’d leave it alone with Shatty for now

As long as that bonus next July 1 is out there, he’s not tradeable IMO.

Bury Smith

Buy out Shattenkirk in a year

And I think next summer there’s a good shot at Staal retiring

But for now you bury Smith and wait out the other 2 for a year and see what’s what

4 years of dead cap space, for however much mone vs however much savings, when it is not an absolute necessity is dumb dumb dumb. Especially if you’re talking multiple buyouts

I’d leave it alone with Shatty for now

As long as that bonus next July 1 is out there, he’s not tradeable IMO.

Bury Smith

Buy out Shattenkirk in a year

And I think next summer there’s a good shot at Staal retiring

But for now you bury Smith and wait out the other 2 for a year and see what’s what

4 years of dead cap space, for however much mone vs however much savings, when it is not an absolute necessity is dumb dumb dumb. Especially if you’re talking multiple buyouts

I agree. Take the cap hit now even if it involves tough decisions. Cap space in 3 or 4 years might be the difference when it comes to winning a Cup.

Not buying him out has everything to do with window alignment. It's four years of dead cap versus two (if he's bought out next year). Even without fully understanding what this team will look like in three, four, five years, having dead cap carry for that long if you don't have to just isn't smart.

That’s funny. I didn’t want him, though. And was ridiculed for that argument as well

I'd imagine that you're talking about some other site since you didn't join here until 3 months after Shattenkirk signed...

• Like 1

You can ask ozzy or paddy as yes I was on another site before it was dissolved. I believe it was Blueshirtbrotherhood. Regardless they can attest to it. I must really bother you though for you to care or think you got me

I’ve been on forums for a long time and know a lot of user names here from past forums as well. Nice try though

You can ask ozzy or paddy as yes I was on another site before it was dissolved. I believe it was Blueshirtbrotherhood. Regardless they can attest to it. I must really bother you though for you to care or think you got me

I’ve been on forums for a long time and know a lot of user names here from past forums as well. Nice try though

Trying to portray yourself as the victim here like these users ridiculed you for something that didn't happen is just completely and utterly inaccurate. Also, most people here just disagree with others. I haven't seen too much "ridicule" going around. I disagreed with you on Panarin as did several others here but I don't recall any moments that they were calling you out for being ridiculous.

You don't always have to be in the right on every topic. I'm calling you out on this just because it gets obnoxious.

• Like 1

Trying to portray yourself as the victim here like these users ridiculed you for something that didn't happen is just completely and utterly inaccurate. Also, most people here just disagree with others. I haven't seen too much "ridicule" going around. I disagreed with you on Panarin as did several others here but I don't recall any moments that they were calling you out for being ridiculous.

You don't always have to be in the right on every topic. I'm calling you out on this just because it gets obnoxious.

Not portraying anything. I?ve been wrong plenty.

As far as you responding in this thread and my post you take issue with, it was directed at one user, not you who directly challenged me being right or wrong. It was said jokingly and why I responded that it was funny. You take offense to that? Maybe you should look in the mirror on whom takes whom to seriously.

giphy.gif

Holy fuck. No. Lol

It was Dunny

Stop lying, Dunsel :rofl:

• Like 1

Not buying him out has everything to do with window alignment. It's four years of dead cap versus two (if he's bought out next year). Even without fully understanding what this team will look like in three, four, five years, having dead cap carry for that long if you don't have to just isn't smart.

In a way it's only 1 additional year of a dead cap hit if you buy him out now. If you wait until next year, you still have to carry that dead weight contract all of this year, then the 2 dead cap hit years for 3 total years of his contract.

I have been against buying him out right now if he can't be traded, but the more I look at this the more I am leaning towards the buyout now because it is really only one extra year of a 1.4M caphit in 2022-23. If they buy him out now, the dead cap hit next year will be 6.083M. If they buy him out next year, the cap hit will still be a large 5.3. Only a 700k difference when you consider what you have to put aside for Shattenkirk next year. By then Namestnikov, Strome, Belesky, etc. are off the books and you can absorb that dead cap hit rather easily.

Keith Yandle

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/y/yandlke01.html

Coyotes and Panthers have given Yandle ice time and opportunities in the offensive zone - freedom he didn't have with the Rangers.

Rangers haven't really encouraged defensemen to activate and join the offensive push since Brian Leetch - it just isn't part of the Rangers system.

If you can get rid of him you do it. He?s probably going to have to be bought out if not. He has no future with this team or what they are building. If didnt make sense to sign him then and even less sense to keep him now if afforded the choice to be able to move him.

Yeah Franny was against the whole Shatty deal...it was on webleedblue which is now a faceplanted website. I was the flaming douche who was actually for it!!! :rofl: He gave us a so-called hometown discount to come to NY too! Oh yeah, I bought that "hook, line, and stinker"!! I thought he would be great on the PP, but time has yet again proven that I fucking blow as an armchair GM.

...at least I'm house broken! Well, sort of! ;)