• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Even with Retention, "No Interest" in Shattenkirk or Smith on Trade Market

Phil

There's no point in investing in Yandle-Shattenkirk-Trouba if you're not going to give them the freedom to operate in the offensive zone. You'd be better off investing in lock-down defensemen to improve your defensive zone coverage.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point in investing in Yandle-Shattenkirk-Trouba if you're not going to give them the freedom to operate in the offensive zone. You'd be better off investing in lock-down defensemen to improve your defensive zone coverage.

Trouba is not the same as the other two. Anyone expecting Trouba to be an offensive force is going to be disappointed. He has a more well rounded game.

Trouba is not the same as the other two. Anyone expecting Trouba to be an offensive force is going to be disappointed. He has a more well rounded game.

His offense is better than McDonagh, who some thought was an “offensive” player, including coaches that put him on the PP. guy has a great shot, and he usually jumps up at good times. He’s a lurker, not a puck possession guy, like Yandle and a Shattenkirk.

There's a good amount of people who are talking about Trouba and haven't seen him play... At all...

Winnipeg's defensemen were stacked so they could choose from Trouba-Byfuglien-Morrissey-Myers for the power play but Trouba was the main choice to QB the powerplay.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

I guess you can say that Trouba's productivity could be due to being on the ice with talent like Scheifele-Wheeler, but I'd say it was a combination of talent and Winnipeg's team philosophy of encouraging defensemen to pinch and join the play in the offensive zone.

Trouba 50 pts, Myers 31 points, Morrisey 31 points, Byfuglien 31 points.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&playerPlayedFor=team.52&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

Winnipeg's defensemen were stacked so they could choose from Trouba-Byfuglien-Morrissey-Myers for the power play but Trouba was the main choice to QB the powerplay.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

I guess you can say that Trouba's productivity could be due to being on the ice with talent like Scheifele-Wheeler, but I'd say it was a combination of talent and Winnipeg's team philosophy of encouraging defensemen to pinch and join the play in the offensive zone.

Trouba 50 pts, Myers 31 points, Morrisey 31 points, Byfuglien 31 points.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&seasonFrom=20182019&seasonTo=20182019&gameType=2&position=D&playerPlayedFor=team.52&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=points,goals,assists

Byfuglien only played 42 games. He got 3 minutes of pp time per game to Trouba's 2 minutes and, despite playing 40 less games, only had 2 less pp points.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Trouba expectations are already unreasonable. He's a 40 point Tyutin. He's not a guy I want "wheeling and dealing".
Yea, I'm a bit concerned.

It's a different world when you're not moving the puck to Wheeler, Scheiffle, Conor, Ehlers and Laine.

40 points is probably accurate for the first year or 2. Then have to see what Chytil, Kakko and Kravstov do.

Yes, his points will be tied to how successful our forwards become, good point.

He's from Minnesota. He looks like every other D man from Minnesota. Suter. Skjei. McDonagh. They're all essentially the same type of D man, and I'm not complaining, but these guys aren't offensive juggernauts. It's conceivable that Deangelo gets 1st PP duties for stretches this season.

Yes, his points will be tied to how successful our forwards become, good point.

He's from Minnesota. He looks like every other D man from Minnesota. Suter. Skjei. McDonagh. They're all essentially the same type of D man, and I'm not complaining, but these guys aren't offensive juggernauts. It's conceivable that Deangelo gets 1st PP duties for stretches this season.

Right. I mean they'll make smart plays but safe plays. Trouba isn't going to move the puck with his feet either. He's not going end to end.

I really find it hard to believe many folks here watched a ton of Winnipeg. I certainly haven't but I saw what I needed to see from playoffs.

Trouba expectations are already unreasonable. He's a 40 point Tyutin. He's not a guy I want "wheeling and dealing".

Pretty much. This is why there's still huge problems on the left side.

If Hajek can be Marc Methot, sooner than later, we might be alright though, because Skjei/Trouba should be able to eat a ton of minutes.

My hope for the Skjei/Trouba pairing would be having Skjei return to the play we first saw with Smith after he was traded for, with Trouba being a far better version of Smith. Trouba can be the rock steady d partner that let's Skjei use his skating ability.

As for the PP I say let that time go to ADA and Fox. With Panarin and all the youngsters it will be interesting to see if they go 4 forwards on both units.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Fox & D'Angelo are going to be counted on more than Trouba for offense from D. As long as Trouba is steady on D. Rangers at this point need better defensive play from the back end instead of worrying about offense from it.

My hope for the Skjei/Trouba pairing would be having Skjei return to the play we first saw with Smith after he was traded for, with Trouba being a far better version of Smith. Trouba can be the rock steady d partner that let's Skjei use his skating ability.

As for the PP I say let that time go to ADA and Fox. With Panarin and all the youngsters it will be interesting to see if they go 4 forwards on both units.

Then we shouldn't be paying him $8 million, if this is the case.

70 points in a season? I see a cup in our future

Why not? Carlson never really screamed offensive D-man until the last two seasons (his age 28 and 29 seasons). It could happen. I can definitely see similarities between the two Trouba's point in his career.