• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Even with Retention, "No Interest" in Shattenkirk or Smith on Trade Market

Phil

1. Buyouts. The initial buyout period of June 15-30 opens Saturday. There is a second, shorter window later in the summer for clubs with salary arbitration filings.

?In all honesty, we haven?t ruled it out,? general manager Jeff Gorton told The Post on Tuesday when asked if the club intends to go that route. ?It?s on the table. And regardless of what we do with this buyout window, we?d certainly look at the second one, too, depending on what comes up over the next few weeks. A lot can happen.?

Brendan Smith is the prime candidate for a buyout. The club?s 30-year-old hybrid 12th forward/seventh defenseman has two years remaining on his deal for an NHL cap hit of $4.35 million per season. A buyout would save the Rangers just over $3.379 million of space this season and $1.204 million next year, but would create approximately $1.146 million of dead space for the following two years.

Kevin Shattenkirk, with two years remaining at an annual $6.65 million cap hit, is also a buyout possibility, but though there would be a savings of nearly $5.167 million this year, that would be reduced to $567,000 next season. A Shattenkirk buyout would add just over $1.433 million of dead space for 2021-22 and 2022-23.

The Rangers have found essentially no interest in Smith or Shattenkirk on the trade market, even with a 50% contract retention. It is possible the Blueshirts could move Shattenkirk in return for taking on an odious contract, but it doesn?t seem likely they would go that route.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/rangers-arent-shying-away-from-buyouts-this-summer/

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no interest in players who pretty much suck and have bad contracts. Who would have thought? lol

The only way we're going to get rid of these guys is to take back someone else's shit. That, or somehow, someway these guys play themselves to some type of value. Shatty can do that I think. Smith is going to be a little rougher because he doesn't bring that much to the table to begin with.

I wouldn't mind if the Rangers played Shatty this year, and gave him a chance to return to form a little more. I still think he's good enough to contribute, and have a bounce back year. If so, a deadline deal might not be out of the question for him.

These are guys that get dealt late July and into August when everyone looks at their rosters (after draft and free agency) and thinks "shit... we're weak on the blueline. Maybe we should take a chance..."

to me, it sounds like Gorton might have gotten those No trade lists and kicked some tires, but even he knows teams dont want these guys. Now, with Brooks putting it out there, maybe Smith or Shatty is willing to accept a trade to a different team.

The last thing they should do is take on another bad contract, especially if they retained salary on one of these scrubs. That only compounds the issue.

i would include the staal contract in this as well, though he's probably still a good guy to have as a mentor for the youth and did fairly well last year.

Staal was the most useful of the 3 last season, but I think we'd all move that contract if we could.

Staal has full NMC. During the trade deadline, someone asked him about it - he said he was not asked for teams.

Shatty has a 10-team no trade list

Smith currently has a 15-team trade list that becomes a 10-team trade list July 1.

i would include the staal contract in this as well, though he's probably still a good guy to have as a mentor for the youth and did fairly well last year.

Staal is infinitely more useful than Smith or Shattenkirk.

I finally got a chance to read the article in full and it seems like Gorton was pretty straight forward about current roster players getting traded this summer. Something to the effect of "we have guys around the league that are pretty valuable" when talking about how much cap space there is ATM. To me that means Namestnikov, Vesey, Kreider, and maybe Fast are available. That's more of a list or warm bodies rather than hockey players, but I think if they can trim a few million here and there, the buyouts won't be as painful if/when they happen.

What I see happening is they try to make some deals at the draft. If that falls through, they go into free agency with a plan. Depending on how that shakes out, they'll use the second buyout period to cut the dead weight before camp opens.

I think Shattenkirk is dealt next offseason. As soon as the Rangers cut him that $2M signing bonus, he's a 6.6m cap hit with 2m owed. Hi, cap floor teams.

Totally fine with another full season of him. Not entirely out of the question that he bounces back, though I’m not banking on that.

I don't really get the buyout this offseason. Next summer makes a lot more sense. Patience on that front...

I would send Smith to the A and bring him up as needed (NO ONE and I mean NO ONE WILL CLAIM HIM ON WAIVERS). Play Fatandhurt as needed as well and like he says buy then out next offseason)

I would send Smith to the A and bring him up as needed (NO ONE and I mean NO ONE WILL CLAIM HIM ON WAIVERS). Play Fatandhurt as needed as well and like he says buy then out next offseason)

They need to improve Hartford. Last time Smith was there, he broke his hand punching a teammate and missed the end of the season. The exact opposite of what you want in Hartford.

They need to improve Hartford. Last time Smith was there, he broke his hand punching a teammate and missed the end of the season. The exact opposite of what you want in Hartford.

To be fair, I think that teammate was Vinny Letteri -- who probably deserved a punch in the head.

Yup so let’s go sign guys for 7 years at over $10m a year. What could possibly go wrong?

Not ever getting elite talent to NY and wasting another franchise player with a half assed attempt at being a contender.

It is extremely important for the development of young players that they be put in a situation where they can be successful. And at this point, they young guys here need to start learning how to win, or you wont see the necessary development. For this to happen, you need to add players that allow young guys to slot into the lineup where they are not overwhelmed, and can also learn from players around them.

A top 6 of Vesey, Zibanejad, Strome, Fast, Kreider and Buchnevich is not "continuing the rebuild", it's failing to develop and wasting the rebuild.

It is extremely important for the development of young players that they be put in a situation where they can be successful. And at this point, they young guys here need to start learning how to win, or you wont see the necessary development. For this to happen, you need to add players that allow young guys to slot into the lineup where they are not overwhelmed, and can also learn from players around them.

A top 6 of Vesey, Zibanejad, Strome, Fast, Kreider and Buchnevich is not "continuing the rebuild", it's failing to develop and wasting the rebuild.

Agreed. That doesn’t mean the only way of achieving that is by signing a guy to a 7 year contract for $80m. There are other ways of fostering a productive atmosphere that allows for growth.

And if that’s your sentiment what happens if panarin signs elsewhere? Do you then just allow your kids to develop in the counterproductive atmosphere you describe? I assume you wouldn’t, so then who are you getting?

One player will not foster the atmosphere you wish for. He can be a big part of it but the atmosphere you describe is much bigger than one guy.