• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Will Check on Kevin Hayes in Free Agency

Phil

4. If Kevin Hayes does not sign with the Flyers, who acquired his rights from Winnipeg for a fifth-rounder, before hitting the open market, the Rangers most certainly will check in on the potential prodigal.

But the contract/cap pace will only be a part of the decision-making process. If the Rangers sign Hayes to line up behind Mika Zibanejad in the middle, that means Filip Chytil would move semi-permanently to the wing and that we?d be back to what for Lias Andersson.

Of course, Hayes would no longer be in the conversation if the Rangers somehow wind up with Jack Hughes in the draft. And there is this, too: it is possible that Kaapo Kakko?s best position is center.

So while the Rangers like Hayes and recognize the importance of having pillars in the room to support the kindergarten-age kids, a number of obstacles stand in the way of a return.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/rangers-arent-shying-away-from-buyouts-this-summer/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is a very limited number of teams for whom Hayes might want to play. Most of those probably have cap issues, so there is a possibility that he can be signed for a reasonable amount (that is, reasonable per the realities of today's market, not per the perception of forum posters). If so, I'd go for him. I am impressed at how his game improved during his time here. If you told me during his first two seasons that he would become a very reliable defensive player who you would go to for big defensive end draws, I would have been shocked. His puck control prowess does all sorts of thing to make opposition go haywire in ways not immediately apparent to casual observers.

I think Hayes tries to come back to NY, first. If not, probably the highest bidder. Dallas, Colorado, probably not Montreal

As for the Rangers, it really depends on how you see this rebuild going. As much as I want to be competitive next season, if it's the "slow patient process", then it doesnt seem like the right fit. Ideally, you have a 2C developing and can take that position this season or next season. Then you have a $7m 3C. I dont see has as a future #1C. And we've seen Zibanejad and Hayes, as 1 -2, have their best seasons as NHLers... and the team got the #2 overall draft pick. I think it's time to move on, give Chytil a shot at 2C, maybe Andersson has a huge step forward season... The Rangers have enough 3C's, and if Zibanejad or Hayes doesnt improve from last season, then you're in a rough spot for 7 seasons.

On the other hand... gotta love that big body in the middle of the ice. Although Chytil, Zibanejad and Howden are of similar size - its not the same. Neither is their defensive play, puck possession, ability to carry the puck in the neutral zone and into the offensive zone, the penalty killing, leadership, and the familiarity. With re-signing Hayes, you need to "go for it" sooner than later. You have $7m in Hayes, and Zibanejad will need a significant increase within a season or to of Andersson, Chytil,Kakko, Howden, Kravtsov, maybe a defender or 2, or a vet that sticks around. Hell, I might have to bring back "Move Zibanejad to wing" if this doesnt pan out.

• Like 1

I think Hayes tries to come back to NY, first. If not, probably the highest bidder. Dallas, Colorado, probably not Montreal

As for the Rangers, it really depends on how you see this rebuild going. As much as I want to be competitive next season, if it's the "slow patient process", then it doesnt seem like the right fit. Ideally, you have a 2C developing and can take that position this season or next season. Then you have a $7m 3C. I dont see has as a future #1C. And we've seen Zibanejad and Hayes, as 1 -2, have their best seasons as NHLers... and the team got the #2 overall draft pick. I think it's time to move on, give Chytil a shot at 2C, maybe Andersson has a huge step forward season... The Rangers have enough 3C's, and if Zibanejad or Hayes doesnt improve from last season, then you're in a rough spot for 7 seasons.

On the other hand... gotta love that big body in the middle of the ice. Although Chytil, Zibanejad and Howden are of similar size - its not the same. Neither is their defensive play, puck possession, ability to carry the puck in the neutral zone and into the offensive zone, the penalty killing, leadership, and the familiarity. With re-signing Hayes, you need to "go for it" sooner than later. You have $7m in Hayes, and Zibanejad will need a significant increase within a season or to of Andersson, Chytil,Kakko, Howden, Kravtsov, maybe a defender or 2, or a vet that sticks around. Hell, I might have to bring back "Move Zibanejad to wing" if this doesnt pan out.

Is 50 point Kevin Hayes really the missing piece to the Stanley Cup puzzle? He hasn't been. As you said, he's a $7m third liner in 2 years. I sincerely hope the Rangers are not that short sighted. We shouldn't be moving young players into unnatural positions to accommodate Kevin Hayes -- who was relegated to the 4th line on a good team.

• Like 1

As for the Rangers, it really depends on how you see this rebuild going. As much as I want to be competitive next season, if it's the "slow patient process", then it doesn't seem like the right fit. Ideally, you have a 2C developing and can take that position this season or next season. Then you have a $7m 3C. I don't see has as a future #1C. And we've seen Zibanejad and Hayes, as 1 -2, have their best seasons as NHLers... and the team got the #2 overall draft pick. I think it's time to move on, give Chytil a shot at 2C, maybe Andersson has a huge step forward season... The Rangers have enough 3C's, and if Zibanejad or Hayes doesn't improve from last season, then you're in a rough spot for 7 seasons.

On the other hand... gotta love that big body in the middle of the ice. Although Chytil, Zibanejad and Howden are of similar size - its not the same. Neither is their defensive play, puck possession, ability to carry the puck in the neutral zone and into the offensive zone, the penalty killing, leadership, and the familiarity. With re-signing Hayes, you need to "go for it" sooner than later. You have $7m in Hayes, and Zibanejad will need a significant increase within a season or to of Andersson, Chytil,Kakko, Howden, Kravtsov, maybe a defender or 2, or a vet that sticks around. Hell, I might have to bring back "Move Zibanejad to wing" if this doesn't pan out.

I like that first theory, Josh man. The patient way to go is the best way I believe as well. It's a whole new hierarchy, pretty much from top to bottom now and I'm sure they'll have their own way to approach this whole rebuild. To me, hell! I wanna see all new kids and a whole new attitude. I've watched this Sather regime for too long and quite frankly, I'm tired of looking at it.

I think with the Kaako era on the rise and with Gorton, JD, and Quinn we have a good start to the next 10-15 years of some really good Rangers hockey headed our way.

THAT is what I'm looking forward to!! As well as rooting for these kids to take shape this season, and show good signs of the future.

• Like 1

Our best center prospect put up 20 pts last season. just sayin

But what is this supposed to mean?

That Chytil won't get better over the next few years? Or are you only concerned about next season?

I assume Hayes is looking for 5+ years which makes the latter seem awfully short sighted.

Yeah - not a great sign. I'd love to see Chytil get a good look a C. I liked his skating at the end of the season when moved to the center, and he was much more involved.

As you said in the draft thread - they need to target centers in this draft - but those guys are still 3, 4, 5 seasons away from being effective NHLers.

Yeah - not a great sign. I'd love to see Chytil get a good look a C. I liked his skating at the end of the season when moved to the center, and he was much more involved.

As you said in the draft thread - they need to target centers in this draft - but those guys are still 3, 4, 5 seasons away from being effective NHLers.

unless they sign a free agent, I think they'll slot Chytil as a C. They should, anyway.

yes but so are our other top prospects. so no big deal, IMO.

Our best center prospect put up 20 pts last season. just sayin

Our next best center prospect should be one of Kakko or Hughes.

Zib

Kakko/Hughes

Chytil

Kravstov

Howden

Strome

Andersson

Nieves

Why do they need Hayes? These kids have to play. Fuck Hayes. Spend on a winger or two.