Thread: Jon Stewart Excoriates Lawmakers for Skipping Hearing on 9/11 Victims Fund

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Jon Stewart Excoriates Lawmakers for Skipping Hearing on 9/11 Victims Fund

Jon Stewart on Tuesday torched lawmakers in emotional testimony for failing to attend a September 11 victim's fund hearing, calling it "shameful" and "a stain on this institution."

"As I sit here today, I can't help but think what an incredible metaphor this room is for the entire process of getting health care and benefits for 9/11 first responders has come to," Stewart said at the beginning of his remarks at a House Judiciary subcommittee hearing on reauthorizing the September 11th Victims Compensation Fund (VCF).

"Sick and dying, they brought themselves down here to speak and no one — it's shameful," the former "Daily Show" host said.

"You should be ashamed of yourselves for those that aren't here," Stewart said, his voice wavering at times, "but you won't be, because accountability doesn't appear to be something that occurs in this chamber."
    https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kno...earing-on-9-11

This is incredibly powerful. I'd urge everyone to watch it to it's completion.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    It's sad that 9/11 responders even need someone like Stewart to have their issue heard in the first place

Great speech. Shame on congress.
    GORTON 2020

Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    It's sad that 9/11 responders even need someone like Stewart to have their issue heard in the first place

Great speech. Shame on congress.
    That's true, but it's also lovely that someone with as much passion and commitment as Stewart is such an advocate for them in the first place.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member Junior Division
    holy shit that was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    That's true, but it's also lovely that someone with as much passion and commitment as Stewart is such an advocate for them in the first place.
    For sure. And he's been a part of this fight from the beginning.
    GORTON 2020

18+ years.
    - John Tortorella

- Christopher Hitchens

John Stewart is an amazing individual. Miss him on the daily show.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    Politicians care about votes, not people.
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Unfathomable. He kept saying how the first responders took 5 minutes to respond to the first call that day. "5 minutes, they did their job." Every time he mentioned this I thought to myself "and 18 years later they still haven't done theirs." He never used the line though. As he kept saying it I hoped he wouldn't let that opportunity get by. I was happy when He finally said it at the closing of the video. Fuck these people man. Anyone who responded that day and the months/years following should be given free healthcare until they die.

Senior Member Midget Division
    Both of the major parties are full of shit. Which is the main reason why I'm registered as non-partisan

Beer Leaguer Midget Division
    Don't have the link but I saw a few people sharing on FB that a bill was passed.

Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    probably full of pork
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019