• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2019 NHL Draft: Clock Is Ticking for These New York Rangers

Phil

Something has to give on the blue line in order to improve the team?s fortunes. An infusion of youth from within their system, which may come in the form of Adam Fox and a healthy Libor Hajek, should help. So would acquiring Jacob Trouba. But the inn?s currently full and evictions are required to make room for any of them.

Up front, again it?s a full house. Presuming no roster changes, there are twelve viable NHL players who could return; two of whom ? Brendan Lemieux and Pavel Buchnevich ? require new extensions. Not included in that list? Vitali Kratsov or Kaapo Kakko ? the latter of whom the Rangers are expected to select with the second overall pick this year. If not Kakko, add another center into the mix with Jack Hughes.

All of which begs the question: who will be the odd man ? men? ? out?

First up: Chris Kreider. With a year remaining on his team-friendly deal, one of the most important calls Gorton will make as a Rangers? executive will be on whether or not to extend the 28 year old. If the answer is no, given the predicament of not exactly being a Cup-contending squad or fear of what the backend of his next deal could look like, New York?s general manager will have little choice but to make Kreider the latest victim of the rebuild by trading him for more manageable assets.

Vladislav Namestnikov can?t be safe. Signed to a two-year extension early last summer, Namestnikov is entering the final year of his contract. With that in mind, it?s not hard to envision a scenario in which the utilitarian forward is flipped to give New York more breathing room this offseason.

And what to do about Ryan Strome? While the Rangers surely benefitted from the byproduct of his shooting percentage this past season, just how dedicated is Gorton to Strome?s final year ahead of free agency?

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/6/8/18655948/2019-nhl-entry-draft-clock-is-ticking-for-these-new-york-rangers-chris-kreider-kevin-shattenkirk

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm torn on Kreider. Whatever decision they make, I'll understand either way.

Strome, I like and I think he'll be needed to play center while Howden, Anderson, and Chytil try to figure it out.

Odd men out, for me, are Vesey and Namestnikov. I haven't like Hayes or Vesey from day one and I'd love to have both out of my life.

Definitely don't agree on any type of buyout for Strome. If they're at that point with him why wouldn't they just try to send him to Hartford? I'd imagine that he'd get scooped up either going down or upon re-entry. Regardless of that, I still think he's a valuable part of this team next season.

Time to move on from Kreider, just don?t know where he will be more valuable. At the draft or deadline

I think we'd get way more for him at the draft if they decided to trade him. I'm still torn. There have to be some veterans around during a rebuild and he's a very solid citizen that should help the young guys learn the right way regarding fitness, diet, and what it takes to be a pro...all that along with a solid contributor.

Definitely don't agree on any type of buyout for Strome. If they're at that point with him why wouldn't they just try to send him to Hartford? I'd imagine that he'd get scooped up either going down or upon re-entry. Regardless of that, I still think he's a valuable part of this team next season.

Re: Strome

Based on his age, the buyout cap hit is very small. That’s the only reason it’s an option if they are in desperate need of cap space

I think we'd get way more for him at the draft if they decided to trade him. I'm still torn. There have to be some veterans around during a rebuild and he's a very solid citizen that should help the young guys learn the right way regarding fitness, diet, and what it takes to be a pro...all that along with a solid contributor.

He hasn’t shown he can be a consistent first line player. If he wants to accept 2nd line, complimentary player salary, sure. Welcome back. But that’s not what it’s looking like.

He hasn’t shown he can be a consistent first line player. If he wants to accept 2nd line, complimentary player salary, sure. Welcome back. But that’s not what it’s looking like.

I would have no problem re-signing Kreider for 4 years, maybe 5 max @ 6m per. I think it takes 6 or 7 years to get him to sign an extension though, quite possibly more $ per year. I'd pass on a contract length that long for him.

The issue with Kreider, and why I think he ends up being moved, is a question of fit. The term and money that fits with the Rangers isn't the same as what Kreider knows he'll get in free agency. I think most would happily keep Kreider around on the deal rmc describes, but I have a hard time seeing Kreider going for it. That, coupled with Kreider being a highly valuable trade asset either for making moves at the draft or a hockey trade means I think he goes.

I'd also try my best to move Namestnikov, Vesey and Pionk in addition to Smith. Strome I'd keep around for now and revisit at the deadline.

If Stepan and Raanta gets the #7 overall, Kreider is probably worth a top 10 pick by himself. Unless A) the market has considerably declined that much in 2 years and/or B) this draft is loaded with a lot better talent than that draft.

Zucc, who is a much better overall player, didn't get us a 1st rounder. Not sure what Kreider could get you. it'll all depend on the situations with other teams at the next trade deadline. Some team could lose a winger and is willing to give away a 1st rounder for Kreider. Or maybe no team would be looking for a winger of Kreider's caliber and no one would give anything up for him

Zucc, who is a much better overall player, didn't get us a 1st rounder. Not sure what Kreider could get you. it'll all depend on the situations with other teams at the next trade deadline. Some team could lose a winger and is willing to give away a 1st rounder for Kreider. Or maybe no team would be looking for a winger of Kreider's caliber and no one would give anything up for him

Zucc is still a signature away from getting us a 1st and a 2nd; and was a goal away from getting us a 1st, no questions asked.

Kreider will fetch at least a 1st; he's probably the best asset at the TDL (assuming Hall re-signs) next year.

Zucc is still a signature away from getting us a 1st and a 2nd; and was a goal away from getting us a 1st, no questions asked.

Kreider will fetch at least a 1st; he's probably the best asset at the TDL (assuming Hall re-signs) next year.

a goal away, an inch taller, a smile wider.....he didn't tho

Trading Kreider now gets a team a full year with him and, given his age, is probably a much more intriguing player to commit to and re-sign long term than Zuccarello.

Zuccarello being a better overall player is very debatable. That's not going to be a league-wide opinion. There would be many GMs who would disagree with that, and those are the ones who will pay the price.

The Flyers have over 33 Mil. in cap room. They have named AV head coach and just dealt a 5th Rd pick for Hayes rights. Would they be interested in both Kreider and Vesey? We all know AV doesn’t like to play rookies. Flyers do have the 11th pick in the draft.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why would the Flyers just take the Rangers players that have lead them to the bottom of the league?

Vesey may be a scrub but Kreider isn?t and adding him to Giroux( 31 yrs old) Voracek( 29) Couterier(26) , Van ReimsDyk(30) Konecny (22) and Hayes (27)would put the Flyers in the playoffs.

What i?m saying is the Flyers are not rebuilding?not with the ages of their best players at least.

Vesey may be a scrub but Kreider isn’t and adding him to Giroux( 31 yrs old) Voracek( 29) Couterier(26) , Van ReimsDyk(30) Konecny (22) and Hayes (27)would put the Flyers in the playoffs.

What i’m saying is the Flyers are not rebuilding—not with the ages of their best players at least.

I'm not saying it can't happen but I'd be really surprised if Kreider is dealt to a local, rival, team.

True, true. I was only making the comment because AV and now Hayes are there. I pretty sure Hayes will sign because he wants to be in the north east, and I can see Kreider looking to, wanting to stay in the north east as well.

I know Hayes and Vesey are close and hangout together?-not sure if Kreider is tho?.

I'm not saying it can't happen but I'd be really surprised if Kreider is dealt to a local, rival, team.

Why? Grabner was dealt to New Jersey. You trade with the team offering the best deal, period. If that means sending Kreider to Philly so be it.

Why? Grabner was dealt to New Jersey. You trade with the team offering the best deal, period. If that means sending Kreider to Philly so be it.

Different type of player and also different circumstances. Kreider being dealt at the draft means the acquiring team really believes that they'll sign him long-term. Grabner was a trade-deadline acquisition and it didn't seem likely they were signing him long-term.

Different type of player and also different circumstances. Kreider being dealt at the draft means the acquiring team really believes that they'll sign him long-term. Grabner was a trade-deadline acquisition and it didn't seem likely they were signing him long-term.

Doesn’t really matter in the context of where the Rangers are in my opinion.

As a rebuilding team you maximise your assets without worrying about rivalries. If the Flyers offer the best deal you take it. It might be a consideration if both teams are contenders and projected to be neck and neck for the Metro, but I don’t think it should be at this point.