• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Happy 25th Anniversary of Matteau Day

Had just moved to CA the previous Feb. Had to watch it all from 3000 miles away. Watched that game in my apartment by myself. I think I woke up the entire complex when 'Pukin tied it then again when Matteu scored :-)

Was on the phone with all my buds in the local bar in NY as we counted down the final seconds of the Cup final together. I didn't need the phone to hear all of NY screaming from CA.

If it took me leaving the F'g state for the boys to FINALLY win a Cup in my lifetime it was worth it.

remember listening to 1010 wins after the cup final and hearing a report of a streaker on avenue u in brooklyn

Several memories from Game 7. Three chants: 1994, 1983 and 1940. The last was the most satisfying. Giant professionally made banner on 7th Ave: "Hey Islanders' Fans: NEW YORK RANGERS STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS. And don't you forget it." Finally, Larry Brooks made the observation that it actually was quieter in final moments before Rangers won a Cup than he always imagined it would be. I had the same thought. Given that I couldn't breath for the last 15 minutes, how could I make any noise?

The curse seemed more real than ever after Zelepukin's goal with 7.7 seconds left. I spent the intermission before the first OT stumbling around the concourse muttering "it can't be, it can't be." I'll never forget the instant, after Matteau's wrap around when the crowd behind the goal started to react but before the red light went on. Was it in!?! Then the red light.

I still remember Richter almost knocking into the ref when that goal went in near the end of regulation

Nostalgia aside, I wish we still didn't have to milk 1994 for glory still today. I hope we get to make more memories sometime soon.

Good call right here, I would be fine with it never coming up again. Although I assume 25.5 is the next celebration.

Good call right here, I would be fine with it never coming up again. Although I assume 25.5 is the next celebration.
I certainly hope that 10 years from now we'll have 3 brand spanking new Cups to celebrate and 35 years from now you too can bore and annoy the young and as yet unborn with the war stories.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I certainly hope that 10 years from now we'll have 3 brand spanking new Cups to celebrate and 35 years from now you too can bore and annoy the young and as yet unborn with the war stories.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Polar opposite actually I'm the last guy to bring up ancient history. It's not personal at all in anyway.