• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

McKenzie: Dave Tippett is "the only candidate" for vacant Oilers' coaching gig

Phil

When was the last time Tippet coached even a decent team?

Yotes team that went to the Western Final.

Given the makeup of Edmonton, I actually think this is a good idea. Tippett is a big, big structure guy. With them not having a very good goalie right now, I think strong team defense, even at the expense of offense, is the way to go in terms of stabilizing their club in a mediocre division.

Yotes team that went to the Western Final.

Given the makeup of Edmonton, I actually think this is a good idea. Tippett is a big, big structure guy. With them not having a very good goalie right now, I think strong team defense, even at the expense of offense, is the way to go in terms of stabilizing their club in a mediocre division.

Hitchcock is also a structure guy (likely better than Tippet) and that went very poorly. I don't really know what the answer is for Edmonton other than turning over half their roster, but my god, just bringing in a parade of retreads isn't helping anyone.

Seriously, they could use someone like Torts. Someone who can bring a culture back to the club.

Hitchcock is also a structure guy (likely better than Tippet) and that went very poorly. I don't really know what the answer is for Edmonton other than turning over half their roster, but my god, just bringing in a parade of retreads isn't helping anyone.

Seriously, they could use someone like Torts. Someone who can bring a culture back to the club.

Agree with this. What held our 2012 Torts team back was the lack of star power. We could win games 1-0 with our eyes closed, but God help us if we were down by 1 goal in the third period. There was nobody to look to on the bench that could get you that big goal in the clutch.

An Edmonton team though, that commits to defense as a team but with all that talent up front, could be lethal. Granted, defense as a team isn't easy without the right players (yes, you DO need the Brandon Prusts of the world), but some minor lower line tweaks with Torts' input would do wonders. Their defense would still be trash though.

I could only imagine what that would take.

Zibanejad + #2 + Miller + Kravtsov + 1-2 1sts

Actually, keep #2 and Kravtsov and I don’t care. But labeling any player as untouchable for a McDavid trade is a bitch move.

Actually, keep #2 and Kravtsov and I don?t care. But labeling any player as untouchable for a McDavid trade is a bitch move.

It's not really about labeling anyone untouchable as it is... If you gut your team to get him, you just become the Oilers. McDavid + the popcorn and beer vendors.

Yeah, it can't happen. He really can't be traded unless they run in to a Pocklington issue where the main return is cold hard cash.

Or, McDavid needs to demand a trade publicly and start to sap Oiler leverage over a year or something like that.

Actually, keep #2 and Kravtsov and I don’t care. But labeling any player as untouchable for a McDavid trade is a bitch move.

it wont take that much. McJesus for Shesterkin + Andersson or Chytil + 1st rounder, 2nd rounder.

it wont take that much. McJesus for Shesterkin + Andersson or Chytil + 1st rounder, 2nd rounder.

I'd assume they'd want NHL bodies.

You don't trade away a McDavid to rebuild... you will never get a pick to turn out better.