• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If Not Artemi Panarin, Then Who?

Phil

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Signing Duchene is ?cla$$ic Rangers?

Sure would. That?s why I don?t want them signing anyone over five years. That would take them out of any of the big names. Stay the course. ?Accelerate? the rebuild is code for impatience to me.

Signing a big name could payoff. I just believe In waiting for some of these kids to show what they are in the nhl before I heavily invest. I?d like the roster needs to be more defined then they are right now. No reason to add to already unrealistic expectations towards guys who aren?t even 21 yet.

The perfect offers sheet target and number one backup plan to Panarin should still be Kasperi Kapanen imo.

Finnish right handed winger just put up 20 goals as a 22 year old, blazing speed, huge shot and perfect system fit. He can be had for a 1st and a 3rd on a contract around $6 mil that Toronto will have no chance at matching. I'm not giving up 4 1st's to pay anybody $10 mil. It will never happen.

No elite talent makes UFA these days.

Tavares, but that's a special situation. Panarin isn't elite. Neither is Karlsson, now.

They are both elite if you care about analytics at all. They are both ridiculous in that area and when adding in their point production they are two of the most effective players at their positions in the league.

They are both elite if you care about analytics at all. They are both ridiculous in that area and when adding in their point production they are two of the most effective players at their positions in the league.
This exactly the problem with using analytics that turns people off to the entire conversation.

They have elite analytics ... big deal. They don't have elite production at their position. You know who had great analytics? Dan Boyle.

This exactly the problem with using analytics that turns people off to the entire conversation.

They have elite analytics ... big deal. They don't have elite production at their position. You know who had great analytics? Dan Boyle.

Well you don't isolate one, you look at both to see the big picture. They both are top of the league in analytics while Karlsson is also 6th at his position in points per game and Panarin is 9th at his position and both have better analytics than nearly every player ahead of them. They are the complete package and the definition of elite. That's why they'll be so highly sought after and paid so much money. These teams aren't stupid. I don't know how you're saying their production isn't elite. It is.

I am taking the slow approach. Make a run at Panarin since he is truly elite. Not trading multiple #1s. Resolve the Kreider situation. Sit back and see what we got and what we need. Keep the powder dry because we know the back end will need help when we are finally rid of those contracts. Stomping on the gas pedal at this point of the rebuild can throw us into a ditch.

They're very great players. They're not elite. Either because they're hurt, or because they're 17th in the league in scoring.

I mean if you want to argue Panarin is elite because he's the best right handed left wing ginger in the NHL... Have at it.

Being in the top 20 isn't elite, especially when you don't do any one thing better than anyone else in the league.

If Panarin is elite, what's Kucherov?

Like the article said, Panarin is top 8 in scoring since he joined league. He will get an $80m+ contract. He would be the best player the Rangers have had in a long time. He is clearly the best FA available. To quibble over what level of elite that makes him does not really matter.

Being the best UFA doesn't make you the best player (see: Shattenkirk, Kevin). It just means you'll get the fattest contract.

Look, I like Panarin and wouldn't mind signing him. I agree it doesn't matter if anyone labels him elite or not. But if it's a choice between offer sheeting Marner, and Panarin... I'd take Marner even with the picks.

They're very great players. They're not elite. Either because they're hurt, or because they're 17th in the league in scoring.

I mean if you want to argue Panarin is elite because he's the best right handed left wing ginger in the NHL... Have at it.

Being in the top 20 isn't elite, especially when you don't do any one thing better than anyone else in the league.

If Panarin is elite, what's Kucherov?

You're only considering points. There's more to the game. Points and analytics and Panarin is elite. If you want to pretend analytics don't mean anything in today's evaluation process then ok. Karlsson is injury prone and scares me, but he's elite when he's healthy and playing.

Like the article said, Panarin is top 8 in scoring since he joined league. He will get an $80m+ contract. He would be the best player the Rangers have had in a long time. He is clearly the best FA available. To quibble over what level of elite that makes him does not really matter.

Agreed. The definition of elite is subjective and, really, doesn't matter.

Answering the OP Question.... No one (of substance/term/high annual value)

Panarin is the linchpin to the 'plan'- if that plan is to move your chips into the pot.. if not him you don't shudder the rebuild for a guy like Duchene.. Definitely not Karlsson- his injury history is really scary when you are looking at the AAV he's going to command.... Get Bread and trade for Trouba.. or just keep acquiring pieces.

• Like 1

Being the best UFA doesn't make you the best player (see: Shattenkirk, Kevin). It just means you'll get the fattest contract.

Look, I like Panarin and wouldn't mind signing him. I agree it doesn't matter if anyone labels him elite or not. But if it's a choice between offer sheeting Marner, and Panarin... I'd take Marner even with the picks.

So Marner vs Panarin and 4 1st round picks, you would choose Marner? Thats just crazy.

Multiple teams hoping to land a player with an $80m+ contract is elite. Liking Marner more doesn’t make Panarin less elite.

Unless somehow they end up drafting Hughes they need a 2nd line center more than they need Panarin.

I'm re-thinking Hayes....I was against it at first, but it's starting to make a little more sense....especially if the price is right.

Unless somehow they end up drafting Hughes they need a 2nd line center more than they need Panarin.

I'd like to see Chytil get a chance to take that role.

If not, you have Strome still on the books. I recently mentioned taking Tyler Johnson with Cap Dump Cally, as an option.

I don't want to overspend on Duchene, though. Like his skill and speed, but this team is too vulnerable to bring in a question mark (on and off the ice) like him.

The perfect offers sheet target and number one backup plan to Panarin should still be Kasperi Kapanen imo.

Finnish right handed winger just put up 20 goals as a 22 year old, blazing speed, huge shot and perfect system fit. He can be had for a 1st and a 3rd on a contract around $6 mil that Toronto will have no chance at matching. I'm not giving up 4 1st's to pay anybody $10 mil. It will never happen.

No can do, cant make an offer sheet for a potential pick that the Rangers may not have. Rangers give up their 3rd to Carolina for Adam Fox doesnt play 30 games with the Rangers.

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

No can do, cant make an offer sheet for a potential pick that the Rangers may not have. Rangers give up their 3rd to Carolina for Adam Fox doesnt play 30 games with the Rangers.

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator

Oh well that sucks. But even if we give him $4.2 I don't think Toronto can afford to match. Then we only have to give up the 2nd round pick, but I don't know how we aren't ineligible for that one. That's what the pick turns into if he plays more than 30 right? One of them must be wrong.