• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

If Not Artemi Panarin, Then Who?

Phil

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, 34. He'll be 35 this July, though.

Pavs has this brilliant little quirk in that if he signs before July 11, he doesn't count as a 35+.

If we miss out on the big guns, I'd absolutely throw Pavelski an 8x2 deal to come show these kids how to lead and how to win. I doubt he'd be into it, but it'd be a damn good investment and he'd almost assuredly get at least one more deal at 36.

If it’s not an elite player, I’m playing the kids now.

If you are looking for leadership, I’d do it through role players like callahan or Marleau, which will come with additional assets. Plus, only 1 season, and maybe flip at the deadline.

Bringing in a guy in that situation will put pressure on him to work the room, help the kids and put up points. That’s a lot, especially in a new city for a new team.

Pavelski doesn’t “ check any boxes” for me. As JD has been mentioning, it has to be the right acquisition and make sense. If lockerroom leadership/winning attitude is a box you are filling, I’d prefer to go with a depth guy and give the kids the chance in the offensive situations.

If it?s not an elite player, I?m playing the kids now.

If you are looking for leadership, I?d do it through role players like callahan or Marleau, which will come with additional assets. Plus, only 1 season, and maybe flip at the deadline.

Bringing in a guy in that situation will put pressure on him to work the room, help the kids and put up points. That?s a lot, especially in a new city for a new team.

Pavelski doesn?t ? check any boxes? for me. As JD has been mentioning, it has to be the right acquisition and make sense. If lockerroom leadership/winning attitude is a box you are filling, I?d prefer to go with a depth guy and give the kids the chance in the offensive situations.

Pavelski checks every intangible box and scored like 35 goals this year.

Term is the issue with him in SJ, and will be here, too.

Pavelski checks every intangible box and scored like 35 goals this year.

Term is the issue with him in SJ, and will be here, too.

I’d love to have him, but I don’t see him leaving SJ, and I wouldn’t want him for more than 2 years. And that probably doesn’t get it done

I'm just gonna re-answer the question:

If Panarin doesn't sign, the correct choice is nobody.

Stay the fucking course. The last thing we need to do is overspend and push the make the playoffs. Let it happen naturally.

Most likely. If you feel the urge to spend, do so by taking on a short-term bad deal to get someone else out of a pickle. Clarkson contract. A year of Marleau. Whatever. Get more assets.

I'm just gonna re-answer the question:

If Panarin doesn't sign, the correct choice is nobody.

Stay the fucking course. The last thing we need to do is overspend and push the make the playoffs. Let it happen naturally.

Most likely. If you feel the urge to spend, do so by taking on a short-term bad deal to get someone else out of a pickle. Clarkson contract. A year of Marleau. Whatever. Get more assets.
Again, Pavs checks all the intangible boxes. Signing a guy like him short term is in a playoff push. It's a culture push.

If it?s not an elite player, I?m playing the kids now.

If you are looking for leadership, I?d do it through role players like callahan or Marleau, which will come with additional assets. Plus, only 1 season, and maybe flip at the deadline.

Bringing in a guy in that situation will put pressure on him to work the room, help the kids and put up points. That?s a lot, especially in a new city for a new team.

Pavelski doesn?t ? check any boxes? for me. As JD has been mentioning, it has to be the right acquisition and make sense. If lockerroom leadership/winning attitude is a box you are filling, I?d prefer to go with a depth guy and give the kids the chance in the offensive situations.

If we strike out on Panarin, we should absolutely go this route. No reason to let the cap space just sit there.

He's not going to sign short-term, is the problem, I think. I'm all about Rhom's 8x2 idea. But is he really going to do that? My guess is he wants somthing closer to four or five.
How many teams do you think go 5 years for Pavelski? Not many, I'd wager. It's a 35+ contract. The market isn't there.

Fair enough. But history tells us GMs not being comfortable with added years has rarely stopped them from signing regrettable UFA contracts.
Maybe, but I can't remember any UFA in recent memory getting over 3 years on a 35+ deal.

I hope not. I don't want to help the Penguins reset, and Kessel seems like he's ready for his next team to be his "retirement" team. Would be "classic Rangers".
He's only 31, compared to Pavelski being 35. He's a PPG player who spent a lot of his 5v5 play on the third line. He's also what JG likes to call a character player. He's not a ufa player so we can send say a Vesey, Names and a pick for him. I don't see the downside besides his age.

Pavs has this brilliant little quirk in that if he signs before July 11, he doesn't count as a 35+.

If we miss out on the big guns, I'd absolutely throw Pavelski an 8x2 deal to come show these kids how to lead and how to win. I doubt he'd be into it, but it'd be a damn good investment and he'd almost assuredly get at least one more deal at 36.

win?

He's only 31, compared to Pavelski being 35. He's a PPG player who spent a lot of his 5v5 play on the third line. He's also what JG likes to call a character player. He's not a ufa player so we can send say a Vesey, Names and a pick for him. I don't see the downside besides his age.

I don't think anyone compared him to Pavelski.

I don't think that package is anywhere near good enough to get Kessel.

I just put Pavelski because he was being talked about if Panarin doesn't sign and put his age in comparison, not the actual player.

The Vesey, Names package was just throwing spitballs because Pitts needs younger, cost control players and are in need of draft picks.