• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

The JD Era Begins: Rangers Announce John Davidson as New Team President

josh

Multiple reports that John Davidson has stepped down as the CBJ president after getting permission to speak with Rangers about their presidency vacancy

John Davidson resigns from Blue Jackets, Rangers return imminent

https://nypost.com/2019/05/17/john-davidson-resigns-from-blue-jackets-rangers-return-imminent/

The Blue Jackets’ president of hockey operations stepped down on Friday afternoon. The Rangers are expected to announce his hiring as team president later today.

“The New York Rangers recently sought permission from our organization to speak with John Davidson about serving as their team president,” Columbus president Mike Priest said in a statement. “That permission was granted and today John has resigned his position as the president of hockey operations and alternate governor with the Columbus Blue Jackets.”

TheAtlantic reporting that there is a press conference on Wed

--

UPDATE:

Link:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.tsn.ca/columbus-blue-jackets-president-john-davidson-leaving-to-join-new-york-rangers-1.1307315

Columbus Blue Jackets president of hockey operations John Davidson resigned from his post with the team on Friday after previously speaking to the New York Rangers about their vacant team president position.

Aaron Portzline of The Athletic reports Davidson will be introduced by the Rangers on Wednesday.

"The New York Rangers recently sought permission from our organization to speak with John Davidson about serving as their team president," Blue Jackets president Mike Priest said in a release. "That permission was granted and today John has resigned his position as the president of hockey operations and alternate governor with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

• Like 1

Everything about the Rangers I know is changing... and it's a fucking great thing.

I am thrilled for the future of this organization.

You have to love the upper management with Gorton and now JD. Even with Sather still there, that's a pretty sweet front office.

Everything about the Rangers I know is changing... and it's a fucking great thing.

I am thrilled for the future of this organization.

Fuck yes!

Consider this my post when they announce it formally later today! I'll be out celebrating!!! :cheers:

I don't remember a lot about JD (other than being a great goaltender) but isn't this kinda going against moving forward mantra ( as opposed to typical Ranger machinations of hiring old, tired, past prime veterans from the past? I realize playing is diff than managing but...

heheh...wiki already has him on the job... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Davidson_(ice_hockey)

"John Arthur Davidson (born February 27, 1953 in Ottawa, Ontario), is the president of hockey operations for the New York Rangers and a former goaltender for the St. Louis Blues (1973–75) and New York Rangers (1975–83) of the National Hockey League. He is also well known as a long-time hockey broadcaster. On June 4, 2009, it was announced that Davidson would be honored by the Hockey Hall of Fame with the 2009 Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for his contributions to broadcasting.[1] "

and I never knew this song was inspired by he, Gordon and the "Big Whistle"...

Playing career[edit]

Growing up in western Canada, he played his minor hockey in Calgary, Alberta. He was drafted fifth overall in 1973, and became the first goalie in NHL history to jump directly from major junior to the NHL. While his hockey career was fraught with many significant injuries, he is perhaps best remembered as a player for leading the Rangers to the 1979 Stanley Cup Finals on an injured left knee. His jersey numbers were 35, 00 and 30.[2] Davidson was the first, and one of only two, NHL players to wear the number 00; after Martin Biron briefly wore the number in 1995, the league banned the use of the number.[3]

Davidson was the inspiration for the song Double Vision, from 1978's album Double Vision by Foreigner. Members of the band who were Rangers fans were watching a Stanley Cup Playoff game between Davidson's New York Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. Davidson was shaken up when a shot hit his goalie mask. As he was recovering, announcers Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick said Davidson was suffering from "Double Vision."[4][5]

I sure remember that other heartbreaking SCF in '79....

That run to the Finals and that seminal Battle for New York turned alot of luke-warm Rangers/Islander fans into hard-cores.

The Rangers went from NASL Cosmos level interest to on par with the Jets and Mets and Knicks for me.

• Like 1

Can they give him double salary to go back in the booth too? At least for 10 home games

While he won't make a habit of it, expect him to talk to his old partner a few times this season at least.

I don't remember a lot about JD (other than being a great goaltender) but isn't this kinda going against moving forward mantra ( as opposed to typical Ranger machinations of hiring old, tired, past prime veterans from the past? I realize playing is diff than managing but...

heheh...wiki already has him on the job... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Davidson_(ice_hockey)

"John Arthur Davidson (born February 27, 1953 in Ottawa, Ontario), is the president of hockey operations for the New York Rangers and a former goaltender for the St. Louis Blues (1973?75) and New York Rangers (1975?83) of the National Hockey League. He is also well known as a long-time hockey broadcaster. On June 4, 2009, it was announced that Davidson would be honored by the Hockey Hall of Fame with the 2009 Foster Hewitt Memorial Award for his contributions to broadcasting.[1] "

and I never knew this song was inspired by he, Gordon and the "Big Whistle"...

Playing career[edit]

Growing up in western Canada, he played his minor hockey in Calgary, Alberta. He was drafted fifth overall in 1973, and became the first goalie in NHL history to jump directly from major junior to the NHL. While his hockey career was fraught with many significant injuries, he is perhaps best remembered as a player for leading the Rangers to the 1979 Stanley Cup Finals on an injured left knee. His jersey numbers were 35, 00 and 30.[2] Davidson was the first, and one of only two, NHL players to wear the number 00; after Martin Biron briefly wore the number in 1995, the league banned the use of the number.[3]

Davidson was the inspiration for the song Double Vision, from 1978's album Double Vision by Foreigner. Members of the band who were Rangers fans were watching a Stanley Cup Playoff game between Davidson's New York Rangers and the Buffalo Sabres. Davidson was shaken up when a shot hit his goalie mask. As he was recovering, announcers Jim Gordon and Bill Chadwick said Davidson was suffering from "Double Vision."[4][5]

Yeah. Well, it started out pretty good. Sounds like they fell victim to Ste. Catherine's St.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk