Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The JD Era Begins: Rangers Announce John Davidson as New Team President

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Vodka Drunkenski View Post
    I wonder how long until Messier is behind the bench
    I don't know about being behind the bench, but JD was ALWAYS a gigantic advocate of Mess. In the old Rangers Stanley Cup video I remember a quote from Howie Rose saying that when he spoke to JD, he gave him a 10 minute tirade on how great a player Messier was, and that at the end of that talk, Howie was ready to get in his car and drive to Edmonton to pick Messier up and drive him to NY personally....Let me see if I can find that scene....it's pretty funny.

But yeah V, I think Mess is going to be a part of the show in some capacity. The guy's a winner and he brings that to the table. Can't surround yourself with enough of those types, in my opinion.

Got it!!!: it's starts at 4:25, if the link doesn't take you right to it.

Senior Member Bantam Division Sharpshooter's Avatar
    Messier eventually having a prominent role in this organization is as sure a thing as the sun rising tomorrow morning.

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Basically, in order to sign someone, it has to make sense on a number of different levels. He mentioned avoiding players with nagging injuries and avoiding players who are too far out of the preferred age range -- saying it's not going to be a good experience for either that player or the team.

Maybe it's stating the obvious, but he specifically said multiple times that they will have to do their homework on each and every player in consideration. They need to be good personalities and good people beyond just good players.

Also mentioned Kravstov was already in NYC and was impressed with his level of dedication.

Mentioned talking to Hank in the coming weeks. Mentioned talking to Messier for a potential job in the organization.

I'm projecting here, but I don't get the sense that he's excited to bring in Panarin or Karlsson for max dollars and/or term.
    Thanks for the summary - you da best

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Midget Division
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Messier eventually having a prominent role in this organization is as sure a thing as the sun rising tomorrow morning.

Mess wants get back in the NYR organization and I don't think he was happy when he wasn't a candidate for the HC position.
    "Meet me later in the gymnasium, next to the dumbbells... you'll know me, I got a hat on."
    Curly

Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Mess wants get back in the NYR organization and I don't think he was happy when he wasn't a candidate for the HC position.
    He wasn't. He probably wanted the position of President too as well as the GM position before Gorton got it. But yeah, in one form or another, he will be back here.

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    Messier should coach the Wolf Pack
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

HNIC BSBH Legend
    If Messier wants in, he should develop his resume elsewhere ... Like JD

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend
    Messier should coach the Wolf Pack
    No, he shouldn't. He should go coach at much lower ranks and cut his teeth like everyone else to prove he has what it takes to teach pros.

The Wolf Pack are going to be too important a pipeline establishment to be turned into a vanity project.
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If youíre a good loser, youíre a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Very Large Member BSBH Prospect
    It was a joke
    Hidden Content

Let's Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Absentia View Post
    I think this was a lot more about Karlsson than Panarin, personally. Just given the specific language he used regarding injury history, age, etc.
    Yea if anything I took it to mean that Panarin is an option, Karlsson is not

Senior Member Squirt Division NY Chief's Avatar
    Brings new meaning to soft hands
    Which is one of many reasons why I didn't get past first year college hockey

Cool stories, NY Chief. Those late 70's - early 80's Rangers were pretty solid teams. The Islanders were just a lot better at the time.

Moderator BSBH Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by paddynyc View Post
    Messier was in no way qualified to even be a consideration.

Moderator Junior Division
    Wasn't Messier with the organization already? Maybe just as a consultant or some bullshit?

Senior Member Midget Division
    messier is better suited to be an ambassador of the sport right now. i have not seen much in the way of him scouting, coaching or managing anything since his playing career was finished other than trying to get that ice rink built in the old bronx armory.

JD is a lifer. he has built his management resume the right way and has been through two succesfull rebuilds, both of which off with the respective clubs in far worse shape that the Rangers are currently.

a few takes from the various interviews:

- trading keith tkachuk, only to have him re-sign and than trading him again

- defining the role of asst gov and pres to peter rosenberg. (props to him for asking the question)

- his FA philosophy (gave me confidence he's not going to spend on old toys like a drunken sailor)

- knows full well he will have to handle the Hank situation.

- also like the Hand's on approach (wants to look at random euro scout and ask why he visited the same player 12 times)
    Acqua in bocca

Quote Originally Posted by Future View Post
    Wasn't Messier with the organization already? Maybe just as a consultant or some bullshit?
    This is the only thing Iím worried about with JD coming in .. donít want to see messier get a position based off nothing but his reputation.

I trust JD is smarter than that but still..

I wonder how long until Messier is behind the bench
    Hopefully never.

Seems like Messier has asked for a lot of jobs without actually working his way up to them. He should get a job in the organization (like Drury, Leetch, Graves) and not hope to shoot straight to the top. It doesn't work that way.
    GORTON 2020

Currently in the Quinn-Bin Bantam Division
    I really don't see Mess as a coach. I see him more as some sort of management level type. I'm fine with Quinn back behind the bench; I really like him, actually. As much as I love Messier, I don't think head coach is the spot for him.

Senior Member Squirt Division NY Chief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter View Post
    Cool stories, NY Chief. Those late 70's - early 80's Rangers were pretty solid teams. The Islanders were just a lot better at the time.
    Oh yeah. An experience I'll cherish forever. I was a big fan of all those guys BEFORE that. You can only imagine 16 year old jaws dropping when their idols say "C'mon, skate with us!"

And yeah, me and a bud were the only NYR fans amidst all those Isles fans at the time but in hindsight we got to see first hand one of the best dynasty's in hockey history. At least the Cup was in NY for a while.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345