Thread: Why politicians should lie

day-to-day Midget Division

Why politicians should lie

Why Politicians Should Lie (May 6, 2010)
    https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...ans-should-lie

'POLITICIANS GET A BAD rap for their sometimes elusive relationship with the truth. Yet Martin Jay, author of The Virtues of Mendacity: On Lying in Politics, says there are times when lying may be the right thing to do.'

...'There's a so-called big lie that we associate with totalitarianism...In the United States, luckily, we don't have the capacity for that due to a relatively free press and a pluralist political system. What we have instead are many different competing half-lies, spins, rhetoric, or positions that hide the truth... I'm always very nervous when a politician claims that he or she alone has personal integrity, authenticity, and is a truth teller, and all opponents are scoundrels and liars.'

... 'We need to focus more on policies and their outcomes than on this kind of accusation of mendacity, which gets us nowhere.'
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Squirt Division NY Chief's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Why Politicians Should Lie (May 6, 2010)
    https://www.usnews.com/opinion/artic...ans-should-lie

I'm always very nervous when a politician claims that he or she alone has personal integrity, authenticity, and is a truth teller,
    Isn't that the greatest political lie of all? i.e. "how do you know a politician is lying?" "Their mouth is moving...."

Moderator Junior Division
    The issue isn't that politicians lie or don't - I think deep down, everyone understands that confidential is confidential. The problem is when the rhetoric and policy don't align.

To compensate, campaigns are won/lost on slogans now (Obama's HOPE, MAGA). This, as always, is an indictment of the voting public.