• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Top-Five Starting to Take Shape

Phil

From what I?m hearing, there is some consensus developing around the top four or five. Jack Hughes and Kaapo Kakko are one-two, with Kaako widening eyes in the early days of the world championships. (Thumbs up to New Jersey?s social media team for lusting after both players on its Twitter feed. Very good.) The Rangers at number two can relax and be happy with whatever they get.

A few teams I spoke with believe WHL Vancouver defenceman Bowen Byram and U.S. National Team Development Program centre Alex Turcotte are separating themselves at three and four, although Sam thinks one of Turcotte?s teammates ? centre Trevor Zegras ? is in that group. Sixth on his list is WHL Lethbridge centre Dylan Cozens.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-intrigue-around-nhl-draft-starting-take-shape/

I do wonder what the Rangers would have done with #1 pick.

Kakko seems like their type, but do you pass on the guy who's been the consensus #1 for the last 2 years? I think that will be the problem for the Devils as well and why they'll end up drafting Hughes even if Kakko keeps this up at Worlds.

:lol: Deep down, I think any long time fan is afraid of this. Myself included.
Why do you say that ? Nothing in Gorton's history says he would do something reckless.

I think it's 95% or 99% Hughes or Pakko. Unless they detect a medical issue with those guys, and/or see something with major upside with the #3-#5 guys, it'll be Hughes/Pakko.

As I said earlier in some other thread - it's rare if ever that the top pick in September isn't the top pick in June.

If it's the case, you see consensus shift by January.

Gotta remember that this is a three plus year process. Teams have had scouts watching Hughes, Cozens, Kakko, etc since 2016 in the same way that they've had scouts watching Byfield and Lafreniere for next year since they hit Bantams, and started scouting Aatu Raty and Matthew Savoie and Shane Wright.

As a noteworthy aside, since we're like to be shitty and having a reasonably similar April - man, I'd LOVE if Byfield ended up a Ranger. Kids barely 16 and he's a brick shithouse.

Yeah, it's highly unlikely whatever happens at Worlds changes the draft evaluation significantly. It depends how close the Devils had them graded before the tournament started I suppose. If they were neck and neck and Kakko dominates then I suppose it could flip the decision in his favor.

I like what Kakko brings to the table but we're pretty rich on the wing, at least in theory, if you keep Chytil there and Kravtsov doesn't Nichushkin.

Hughes solves the C issue, and having him solve that issue for peanuts frees up a lot of money to spend elsewhere.

I like what Kakko brings to the table but we're pretty rich on the wing, at least in theory, if you keep Chytil there and Kravtsov doesn't Nichushkin.

Hughes solves the C issue, and having him solve that issue for peanuts frees up a lot of money to spend elsewhere.

I think Hughes solves the C spot for NJ too so I really doubt we'll see him available.

Him on the top line allowing Hischier to play a 2nd line role will really help them out.

We're either stacked at C or at wing, its a win win.

I cant deny that I've fallen a bit in love with Kakko after the lottery, so would be kinda dissapointed for a second if I hear Devils chosing him. Will last aprox 2 minutes until I here Gorton saying Hughes name and my boner will be back.

23. Brett Leason, RW, Prince Albert Raiders (WHL), 6-foot-4, 200 pounds: If he was 18 instead of 20, where would he go? That’ll be the debate around him heading into the draft.

View image on Twitter

When was the last time a 20 yr old got drafted in the first round? also this stinks of "NHL ready" to me for our 20th pick lol

Eh, I'd rather be right on the wing than "solve the C issue." With enough talent on the wing, you don't need to have a C who does much other than be responsible, especially after the first line.

I mean, if you have Kreider and Buch as your 3rd-line wingers, you're in a pretty good spot regardless of your C depth.

After Zib, I actually think you can do well, two years from now, filling out your depth chart at C with Chytil, Lias, Howden, Nieves and maybe Barron.

Eh, I'd rather be right on the wing than "solve the C issue." With enough talent on the wing, you don't need to have a C who does much other than be responsible, especially after the first line.

I mean, if you have Kreider and Buch as your 3rd-line wingers, you're in a pretty good spot regardless of your C depth.

After Zib, I actually think you can do well, two years from now, filling out your depth chart at C with Chytil, Lias, Howden, Nieves and maybe Barron.

It's tempting to think the rebuild ends after 16 months thanks to some good pingpong ball luck, but that's kind of unlikely. These folks are still really young and really raw. Even with Kakko, and Kravtsov, and so on...it's gonna be another year or two at least. Remember that both the Pens and Caps picked top 3 the year Ovechkin and Crosby debuted.

Next year is a pretty strong C draft too - so if Lias, Chytil, Howden, Barron, whomever aren't looking like centers at the NHL level, we've got a few outs there in the "not splashing Brinks trucks" way.

Not to count chickens before they hatch, but let's face it, barring a few big moves, we're going to be pretty bad next year too. You know who might look good in our shirt? Quinton Byfield. 6'4, 215 16 year old PPG lefty center. Probably a top 5 pick next year, and almost assuredly the right "last piece of the puzzle"