• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Should Mats Zuccarello and the Rangers Reunite?

Phil

Quick quiz.

Multiple choice.

The Rangers would be better off by, a) Having Mats Zuccarello re-up with Dallas so the Blueshirts get the Stars? 2020 first-rounder; or, b) Bringing the Norwegian back as a free agent and naming him captain after signing the 33-year-old to, say, a four-year deal worth $5.75 million per with a no-move clause that guarantees protection in the 2021 Seattle expansion draft.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/08/should-mats-zuccarello-and-the-rangers-reunite/

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change B) to Dallas has no interest in signing Zuc and the option now lies; get nothing or resign Mats this off season. Does that change sentiments or has that ship sailed completely?

My opinion is that his time here is over. He was a head case last year with the floundering team and not having his buddies around in a winning culture. Moving on....

Change B) to Dallas has no interest in signing Zuc and the option now lies; get nothing or resign Mats this off season. Does that change sentiments or has that ship sailed completely?

My opinion is that his time here is over. He was a head case last year with the floundering team and not having his buddies around in a winning culture. Moving on....

If Dallas rules out re-signing him I would be okay bringing Zuccarello back on a 2-3 year term at 4.5-5m per. The way I see it is we have a few others who will fall off the books after this season. Namestnikov, Strome, Vesey. Kreider might be traded. There's plenty of room to bring him back, but 4 years is at least 1 too many.

I do think the Zuccarello era is over here though.

Bring him back. He'll be good until his late 30's just like MSL was. He works hard and is the best possible role model for all of our young guys. Also Zib is better with him.

I agree here. Zib and Kreider played better with him here. I wouldn't go 4 years, but 3 at $5-5.25 a year isn't bad. I wouldn't do a NTC or NMC, but he is one of the few guys who have been effective for the team. He is a heart and soul player, and would be a great mentor for the young guys.

I can't imagine the Rangers going 4 years with Zucc and I wonder what the market will be like for him as a FA. I'd have to go with (A), but if the Rangers were to bring him back I'd go no more than 3 years at the age of 33.

He's quite effective...and still makes guys around him better. I would rather see him shoot in some instances than pass as he is inclined to do, but that's his makeup. At 33 though, and NOT likely to sign for a 3-year deal, I'd have to pass. Love the guy. See his skill clearly. But not where we are headed. #Draft #FA #Younger #Lower$alary #LGR

Hank needs his minion. If a 3 year deal is on the table they should bring him back. The middle Sixers aren't getting any production, which they desperately need. There are very few vets that can show how to play hard every shift. Zuccs intangibles are also sorely missed.

Thanks for all your hard work and dedication, Zucc! But it's out with the old and in with the new!

The sentimental horseshit is over... Choice A....ALL DAY, ALL NIGHT, IN STEREO!

Agree about not signing or keeping someone because of sentimentality, but Zucc is still a very good player.

Agree about not signing or keeping someone because of sentimentality, but Zucc is still a very good player.

No doubt!! Very good indeed....but the way I'm looking at it RMC, is that Dallas didn't win with him, and they're light years ahead of where the Rangers are right now. By the time these new young players are going to be contenders, Zucc will be past his usefulness on the ice, in my estimation.

I think we'd be better off freeing up that spot for a younger player that may play his way into the lineup for the long term, and not block up spots with aging vets.

But yeah, Zucc is a soldier, and a good one at that!! I want him to continue his career and I would have loved to see him win it all this year. I wish the guy only the best; He was a great Ranger player! :thumbs:

• Like 1