• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Must Decide Whether to Keep or Deal Kreider

Phil

For all the frustrations, people may want to acknowledge what he does do. He’s a top 6 wing anyway you look at it. He’s not easily replaceable nor is he a guy you build around. He’s a perfect complimentary player that you shouldn’t look to carry your team. But here and there he will do just that. If his abilities weren’t so obvious to everybody and he scored 25 goals without teasing so much more what would people opinions be then? Not sure what his next contract looks like but it needs to be seriously considered.
  • Like 1

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all the frustrations, people may want to acknowledge what he does do. He’s a top 6 wing anyway you look at it. He’s not easily replaceable nor is he a guy you build around. He’s a perfect complimentary player that you shouldn’t look to carry your team. But here and there he will do just that. If his abilities weren’t so obvious to everybody and he scored 25 goals without teasing so much more what would people opinions be then? Not sure what his next contract looks like but it needs to be seriously considered.

That’s a very fair evaluation of him. Very fair.

I think he’s absolutely worth long and hard consideration

But if it’s 6 years and in the $40 million neighborhood, I’d probably be upset if they did so.

Much like McD... He's earned a contract that I don't want the Rangers to give him.

Why though?

McD had the injury history, CK (the clot aside) doesn?t carry that risk.

Not trolling you. Genuinely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why though?

McD had the injury history, CK (the clot aside) doesn’t carry that risk.

Not trolling you. Genuinely interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because he's wildly inconsistent and when he's not on the score sheet you don't even notice if he dressed. He doesn't use his size or speed nearly enough, he doesn't PK, he disappears for 20 game stretches.

I don't want to lock him in for 7-8 years at almost $7 million. If we can get him for 4x$6, sure...But why would he do that?

Because he's wildly inconsistent and when he's not on the score sheet you don't even notice if he dressed. He doesn't use his size or speed nearly enough, he doesn't PK, he disappears for 20 game stretches.

I don't want to lock him in for 7-8 years at almost $7 million. If we can get him for 4x$6, sure...But why would he do that?

Here here.

That’s my feeling as well.

He’s a nice compliment in the top-6. Not an elite level guy by any stretch though. Too inconsistent. Too streaky. Too many instances of him not showing up for lengthy periods of time. Not worth a 6 year investment at around 40 million dollars

. I say trade him.

They’d surely get a nice return on him.

I couldn't agree more.

I don’t want to pay him more than maybe 5 years at $6m a year. Again though how many guys aren’t streaky or inconsistent if they aren’t the true elite player? And yes he doesn’t use his strength or speed enough but at least he has those qualities. The guy replacing him most likely won’t have half of his ability. It’s absolutely frustrating knowing how talented he is and what could be. It’s just my opinion but those frustrations cloud his value of what he actually is. 7 or 8 years is a nonstarter for me. However something around 5 years for 6m or 4 years at 6.5 is doable and getting fair value. Taking kreider off this team makes them slowe and smaller when undoubtedly every team wants to be bigger and faster. He’s putting up 25 goals and can generally play with anyone. Come playoff time his game translates to success. The decision to move on from him can only be about age or if he is asking for the moon. Unlike Hayes, Stepan, Miller, and even McDonough, his unique skill set doesn’t come around to often. Of course we all want to see more because it’s so obviously there. It’s probably past time we stop looking at what could be, which is a dominant star, and appreciate what he is, their best winger and most consistent goal scorer.

Well he's not consistent. So there goes that.

There are younger, cheaper players coming who have speed.

Size is irrelevant when it's not used to your advantage.

I'm not saying he's not worth the money. He's not worth the money for us. His biggest value to us us that he actually plays the left side. Buch, Kravstov and Kakko are all left who play the right side.

That's not worth what Krieder will get.

Much like McD... He's earned a contract that I don't want the Rangers to give him.

This, and he?s the wrong age.

I think 6x6 for a 23 year old Kreider ....maybe. But what he does bring doesn?t mesh with the development curve of this team. In 3-4 years we don?t want contracts like his being a noose

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm not saying he's not worth the money. He's not worth the money for us. His biggest value to us us that he actually plays the left side. Buch, Kravstov and Kakko are all left who play the right side.

That’s fair and maybe true he may not be worth it to us. He is consistent in the terms of his season production. He is a consistent 20 plus scorer. That will get him paid. If the rangers are trading him and going young I’m fine with that. If they are trading him only to sign a replacement that maybe another story. Who is going to cost less that puts up 20-25 goals a year?

In this league, you can't just have great under 27 players, and if you want excellent players in their prime, you have to pay them. The Wild didn't want to pay the going rate when Gaborik and Burns were due. They lost them, fell apart, and then had to change course and go after Suter and Parise with wild contracts after the damage was done. If you don't want to pay your home grown talent the market rate, which will always be high, you are going to end up spinning your wheels. Kreider is valuable enough to pay more than you really want to pay him.

His net front presence was the only offensive threat the team had this season.

That big body, speed, and work in front of the net creates a lot of space for teammates.

I think the Rangers resign Kreider unless we add both Kakko and Panarin. With a contending team and regular line mates he is a 30 goal scorer with his front of the net presence. His asking price might have taken a hit with the way he finished.

Have a look at Chris Kreider's stat line, and Carl Hagelin's stat line.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kreidch01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hagelca01.html

Carl Hagelin has a 4 million dollar per year cap hit.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carl-hagelin

How much more are you willing to pay for roughly ten more points per year? 5 million per year? 6 million per year? 7 million per year?

Have a look at Chris Kreider's stat line, and Carl Hagelin's stat line.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/k/kreidch01.html

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/h/hagelca01.html

Carl Hagelin has a 4 million dollar per year cap hit.

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/carl-hagelin

How much more are you willing to pay for roughly ten more points per year? 5 million per year? 6 million per year? 7 million per year?

Mmmm, isn?t that nearly 30 pts difference between the two ?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think the Rangers resign Kreider unless we add both Kakko and Panarin. With a contending team and regular line mates he is a 30 goal scorer with his front of the net presence. His asking price might have taken a hit with the way he finished.

But he has never been a 30 goal scorer in 6 seasons and counting. The Rangers shouldn't be about to pay him as such either.

I love Haglin as a player, but he's not close to Kreider. The Rangers may benefit from Kreider's decline in goal production in the second half, when he played hurt and with a team that was losing two of its best skaters. He's going to cost a lot less than if he'd stayed on that 40 pace.

You really think most gms won’t pay kreider $6m?

I was kidding. Yea, they might. But there are 30 other teams in 30 different positions with 30 organizational needs. So, YMMV.

And to be clear, personally I said I'd do $6 x 4 for Kreider. But he wouldn't. So that's why I ship him out.

People really think panarin is worth $12m a year but kreider isn?t worth $6m? Not to mention less years?
that s fucked up,I know he is worth 6 mill,

He 'll wind up with some other team andscore30 goals a year,if I am the rangers i keep Kreider