• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

John Davidson is a Rangers Lock

Phil

1. JD: It has long been believed Davidson?s contract with Columbus includes a clause that allows him to leave if offered the Rangers? presidency. The official request is expected in short order following the Blue Jackets? second-round elimination on Monday. Barring a dramatic, unforeseen development, it should not be long before one of the most popular individuals in recent franchise history returns to New York at the top of the directory.

Davidson will establish the vision for the operation, though in this case that presumably means reinforcing the organization?s commitment to the building program that was adopted 15 months ago and is now in full swing, if not yet full bloom. But the question is whether (and to what degree) to attempt to accelerate the process via free agency and trades.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/07/john-davidson-is-a-rangers-lock-so-let-the-artemi-panarin-frenzy-begin/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons

I was listening to the BSB pod the other day and they made a good point imo:

On what basis is JD is such a lock for the job?

We all like JD and I'm sure he'll do a good job, but why aren't the Rangers interviewing several candidates before making that decision? As far as I'm aware there has been no real process here apart from a pitch to Yzerman. Seems a bit weird to skip any sort of due diligence with a hire like that and a very "Rangers" way of doing things.

It's probably going to happen but it would kind of be reactionary to just do it without interviewing other people. So far we know they were just interested in JD and Yzerman. But, why not look around and maybe interview a few people who are perhaps younger and could be with the organization more long term. I'm not dismissing that JD hasn't done a good job with Columbus and St. Louis, but I wouldn't really rush into hiring him either.

That stipulation about him being able to opt out of his deal with the Blue Jackets to be President of the Rangers is pretty funny, though.

• Like 1

It's probably going to happen but it would kind of be reactionary to just do it without interviewing other people. So far we know they were just interested in JD and Yzerman. But, why not look around and maybe interview a few people who are perhaps younger and could be with the organization more long term. I'm not dismissing that JD hasn't done a good job with Columbus and St. Louis, but I wouldn't really rush into hiring him either.

That stipulation about him being able to opt out of his deal with the Blue Jackets to be President of the Rangers is pretty funny, though.

Sometimes it not WHAT you say, it's what you DON'T SAY!!!! :rofl:

...think JD's wanted this all along....and I'm am ALL FOR IT!!! The guy is going to be great here; He comes with experience and is in my eyes a natural fit to NYC, plus I'm sure he's pretty familiar with the MSG family still.

Add in the fact that he's very entertaining!!!

I can't help it, I was always a JD guy! Bring it on, big fella!!!

It's the whole MSG family thing that rankles a little bit.

I'm not here to shit on anyones parade, but it's a question worth asking imo.

I'd agree if JD wasn't successful in St Louis or Colombus.

This isn't like hiring Mess because he's Mess.

Glen Sather?s new title is senior advisor and alternate governor of the New York Rangers. Sather wants to still have power and say over what goes on in the ?Rangers universe?. His not gonna hire someone he doesn?t know or trust, someone who could back stab him/cut his throat and take his current position away?not that a team president can but with the title of team president he could go around Sather and shmooze Dolan?we all know what a moron Dolan can be. Plus JD is very respected & knowledgeable himself, Sather would respect his opinions more than most guys in the league. If it?s not JD then I?m pretty sure Sather would give the job to Jim Schoenfeld, as he?s worked for Sather over 12 yrs.

Sent from my iPad using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'd agree if JD wasn't successful in St Louis or Colombus.

This isn't like hiring Mess because he's Mess.

No, but there are a lot of potential candidates that have done well elsewhere. But the Rangers have apparently just decided JD is their man without even talking to these individuals.

So it seems fair to assume that the main driver behind this decision is that he knows the MSG family and everybody likes JD.

Or to put it another way, would JD have been "a lock" based on his work in St. Louis and Columbus if he didn't have a history with the Rangers? It seems unlikely.

I mean this isn't a huge deal at all, but I find it interesting they've just decided on JD without talking to potential candidates.

No, but there are a lot of potential candidates that have done well elsewhere. But the Rangers have apparently just decided JD is their man without even talking to these individuals.

So it seems fair to assume that the main driver behind this decision is that he knows the MSG family and everybody likes JD.

Or to put it another way, would JD have been "a lock" based on his work in St. Louis and Columbus if he didn't have a history with the Rangers? It seems unlikely.

I mean this isn't a huge deal at all, but I find it interesting they've just decided on JD without talking to potential candidates.

*That we know of.

Sometimes it not WHAT you say, it's what you DON'T SAY!!!! :rofl:

...think JD's wanted this all along....and I'm am ALL FOR IT!!! The guy is going to be great here; He comes with experience and is in my eyes a natural fit to NYC, plus I'm sure he's pretty familiar with the MSG family still.

Add in the fact that he's very entertaining!!!

I can't help it, I was always a JD guy! Bring it on, big fella!!!

Yeah, I love JD too, and I think it's going to happen for sure. I'm pretty excited about it. He was able to hone his craft in other places and now he (likely) comes here with all of that experience.

• Like 1

im now more confused than ever. not only do i not have a clear picture of JD's responsibility but where the hell does Sather fit in with the title of senior advisor and alternate governor. Didn't he get shit for not being around the building enough when he was GM and that was what 20 years ago? I remember him basically hanging up on mike and the dog one day when dog called him out on it.

Also would be good to see a total clean out of the AHL operation. Not like I watch it daily but looks like a tremendous amount of improvement can be done there.

That being said JD does have a bit of a track record, wanted to come home and is a total rink rat. could be much worse i suppose.

• Like 1

Something about this is strange to me. What exactly has JD done with those other teams? He’s not the GM but neither St. Louis nor Columbus were that successful. Hell, Columbus hadn’t won a playoff round until this year. Hopefully this is just one of those jobs that doesn’t really matter. I don’t think Sather has been involved in quite some time.

I’m all for ranger family but not at the expense of winning or proper management.

I don't think that was the case. Yzerman was just available first.

Agreed.

Yzerman would also be a different type of president, I think, than JD. I can see them preferring JD as president to do the schmoozing type of work, and leaving personnel completely to Gorton. Yzerman, would likely want a lot more say on personnel.