• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundqvist "Not Sure" if He'll Remain a Career Ranger?

Phil

In an interview with Expressen Sweden, Henrik Lundqvist said the following about his future with the Rangers:

?I don?t know if I will stay in Rangers throughout my career. I have two years left on the contract and it has always been my goal to remain in Rangers. But when you get up in the years you never know. I have my own agenda, but if the club wants something else, I have to be sensitive to it. You can?t just run your own race. It?s not always the dream is realistic, we?ll see how it gets. Now I focus everything on the World Cup.? (Expressen)

Lundqvist said that this past season was ?very different? than his previous ones with the Rangers and that the losses during the second half of the season took a toll on him mentally. (Expressen)

https://nyrangersnews.com/2019/05/06/henrik-lundqvist-on-his-future-with-the-rangers/

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read this as he wants a trade, it sounds more like once his contract is up, he doesn't know if the team will re-sign him.

This.

He already declined to waive and go to TO this year.

This discussion to me has always been kind of pointless, even for hank to discuss. Who is trading for him and his $8m cap hit. Even if a team viewed him as still elite, who has that kind of space? On the rangers end if they ever found that team, they would basically have to give him away for nothing. Then feel the venom of the fans for trading him for nothing. I can see him leaving after his contract is up, in fact I’d expect it if he still wants to play. Until that contract is up it’s better left unsaid by hank his preference of staying or going. I don’t think there is two options. If he asks for a trade he may just end up getting embarrassed, by having no suitors. No less somewhere he’d be agreeable to going.

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to be committed to the Rangers for 2 more years if he's willing to play elsewhere afterwards. I find it hard to believe he thinks they can win a Cup in 2 years, especially after the season they just went through, which means he would be ok losing 2 of the finals years of his career for nothing.

Henrik doesn't want to be the guy that quits on the team. I respect that, but maybe Gorton and management need to show a little tough love here for the sake of the Rangers and the rest of Henrik's career. Yes, he has a NMC, but if they approached him and said they would like to trade him I'm not sure he says no. From everything I've read, they asked him if he would like to be traded and he said no...which is very different.

The way I read this is..."I will re-evaluate the situation in the 20/21 season when I am to become a UFA afterwards. If we are not contenders by the all star break, I will think about a trade to chase a cup."

I don't read this as he wants a trade, it sounds more like once his contract is up, he doesn't know if the team will re-sign him.

Would be shocked if this really changes things anytime soon. He has a wife, so he's not waiving his NTC to go to Winnipeg or Columbus, nor giving up $8.5 million.There are very few teams and cities he would even consider. And then you get to the issue of what team is signing up for a goalie on the downside with a huge contract. Don't think there is such a team .

The Rangers can make Hank available at 2 years, $4.25M if they retain half his contract, so he's not unmovable from a contract standpoint.

A team in contention would need to have a good but not great starter that they are concerned about and would look to set up a tandem so they could ride the hot hand in the postseason.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

There's a new trend of having two mediocre goalies instead of one great one. The Rangers are potentially lining themselves up to have a Russian tandem but I wonder how that changes in two years. If they decide to move one of the Russians, then you can resign Hank to be the backup/tandem. I'd have no issue with that scenario at all.

In two years, we could be looking at making a legit run too.

There's a new trend of having two mediocre goalies instead of one great one. The Rangers are potentially lining themselves up to have a Russian tandem but I wonder how that changes in two years. If they decide to move one of the Russians, then you can resign Hank to be the backup/tandem. I'd have no issue with that scenario at all.

In two years, we could be looking at making a legit run too.

He can't stop the puck now. How is that going to improve? He was outplayed by a Bulgarian nobody. He's done. He's toast.

You can not. Can. Not. Resign him with our stacked goalie cupboard. Is he going to play for 900k like tbe other options? And even if he will, he still can't stop the puck, so why would you want him?

He should have left last year.

He can't stop the puck now. How is that going to improve? He was outplayed by a Bulgarian nobody. He's done. He's toast.

You can not. Can. Not. Resign him with our stacked goalie cupboard. Is he going to play for 900k like tbe other options? And even if he will, he still can't stop the puck, so why would you want him?

He should have left last year.

I mean, he can't leave. It's impossible. They asked and he said no.

It's also not true that he can't stop the puck. He's basically the reason they didn't finish dead last. He had a bad 2nd half but I chalk that up to depression more than anything.

So, what are they going to do for two years? Rotate 3 goalies? Someone is going to get screwed and it's not Hank. It's not inconceivable that one of the Russians get traded so if that's the case, then Hank could be resigned to be a backup so long as he's not asking for a lot.

Likely Lundqvist is going to be with the Rangers the next two years, and if he wants to continue his career after that, it will probably be with a different team. I think it's a smart statement on his part that he'd like to play more than 2 years.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/savePct/year/2019/seasontype/2

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/rankings/average/goaltender/

What team is a possible fit for a trade (mediocre goaltending & not much salary tied up in goaltending)? Not a long list.

Vancouver? Philadelphia? Carolina? Edmonton?

Any of those destinations sound appealing to Lundqvist?

What team is a possible fit for a trade (mediocre goaltending & not much salary tied up in goaltending)? Not a long list.

Vancouver? Philadelphia? Carolina? Edmonton?

Any of those destinations sound appealing to Lundqvist?

I think both Hank and the Rangers are caught in no mans land when it comes to trading him. I don't see him leaving the Rangers early unless it's to a bonafide contender and it's tough to find a good fit under those circumstances.

In any case I think this is about playing on when his contract at the Garden is up and that may well be with another team.

Lundqvist is (or will be) in the same situation as an aging executive at a blue chip company whose contract is running out. If a younger employee produces and shows promise, there is going to be a transition to the younger employee, and the aging executive is going to have a reduced role. It's going to be hard to find a blue chip company that will give the aging executive a starring role. Tough on star athletes as their skills diminish.