• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Lundqvist "Not Sure" if He'll Remain a Career Ranger?

Phil

I think I'm still holding to my belief that Hank's here 'til his contract is done, and I think Pete's right; He'll most likely back up Igor as the others develop. I also think 2 years is a reasonable time frame before we really start to become serious contenders again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a scenario where Georgie is traded and Hank backs up Igor for a few seasons while our other goalie prospects develop.

Not really the worst scenario in the world. George could fetch this team even more assets while out future elite (hopefully) goalie develops with Henrik.

He can't stop the puck now. How is that going to improve? He was outplayed by a Bulgarian nobody. He's done. He's toast.

You can not. Can. Not. Resign him with our stacked goalie cupboard. Is he going to play for 900k like tbe other options? And even if he will, he still can't stop the puck, so why would you want him?

He should have left last year.

Hank had a higher 5v5 sv% than Georgiev...

I don’t know how big that statement is

Obviously he had the opportunity to move last year, and he said no. But then the losses piled up especially after the deadline. Maybe that coupled with Georgiev starting to emerge and Shestyorkin signing has changed his mind somewhat

Guess we will see

He can't stop the puck now. How is that going to improve? He was outplayed by a Bulgarian nobody. He's done. He's toast.

You can not. Can. Not. Resign him with our stacked goalie cupboard. Is he going to play for 900k like tbe other options? And even if he will, he still can't stop the puck, so why would you want him?

1000% agree Dunny

I don't read this as he wants a trade, it sounds more like once his contract is up, he doesn't know if the team will re-sign him.

This. He already declined to waive and go to TO this year.

Agreed. I think he's toying with the idea of signing elsewhere to close his career out -- Toronto, maybe? Calgary?

Disagree with all you guys. He said:

"if the club wants something else, I have to be sensitive to it."

That tells me he'll keep an open mind if they come to him with a trade possibility

That tells me he'll keep an open mind if they come to him with a trade possibility

Yup. Agreed. I just don't think they have...yet. This is probably Hank reading the tea leaves a bit after the Shesterkin signing.

Yup. Agreed. I just don't think they have...yet. This is probably Hank reading the tea leaves a bit after the Shesterkin signing.

They already went to him with Toronto this deadline and he said no.

He can play... when he wants.

No sense ridding him just to do so, yet. If you are the rangers, you have to let the situation play itself out.

Did they? When? Source?

https://www.cbssports.com/nhl/news/the-rangers-reportedly-offered-to-trade-henrik-lundqvist-at-the-deadline-but-he-said-no/

http://www.blueshirtsbrotherhood.com/showthread.php?20318-Rangers-Gave-Lundqvist-an-Out-at-the-Deadline-He-Refused-to-Take-it&highlight=Lundqvist+trade

It was last years' deadline. Though I was told (no, I can't give you my source) that they asked if he had any second-thoughts again this year. He said no.

Those don't say anything about Toronto...

"no, I can't give you my source"

Your source said Toronto, specifically? Also, was there actually a trade in place?

This sounds kinda like your source was full of it, bc there would've been 0 reason for Tor to make a trade like that.

It makes sense in the fact that they didn't even have a real back-up, but two more years of term at even half his cap hit makes less than zero sense for a team up against the cap. That's just plain obvious.

Did they? When? Source?

Gorton had a sit down with him last offseason and asked what he wanted and he said he wanted to stay and Gorton accepted. Seems like things have changed in the past year, I'm guessing the Zucc trade had a big effect on that

Gorton had a sit down with him last offseason and asked what he wanted and he said he wanted to stay and Gorton accepted. Seems like things have changed in the past year, I'm guessing the Zucc trade had a big effect on that

Right. I was asking about Toronto specifically though.

I'll reitterate there is a huge difference in asking Henrik if he wants to be traded vs telling him you want to trade him.