• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Sign F Vitali Kravtsov, G Igor Shesterkin to ELCs

Phil

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn’t he speak Russian too?

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

He speaks some basic Russian. He's not fluent. But it's probably still a bit of an olive branch regardless, especially for those who have especially poor English. If I recall correctly, Panarin, for example, speaks mostly through a translator still.

He speaks some basic Russian. He's not fluent. But it's probably still a bit of an olive branch regardless, especially for those who have especially poor English. If I recall correctly, Panarin, for example, speaks mostly through a translator still.

Georgiev commented in a Russian interview at some point that Kreider's Russian wasn't the greatest.

Quinn doesn't like hearing Russian on the ice so Panarin's English better be pretty decent in that respect. I could care less if he can't interview well or doesn't feel comfortable interviewing without a translator. It'd be nice if his English got stronger but the dude is a stud with or without it.

Georgiev commented in a Russian interview at some point that Kreider's Russian wasn't the greatest.

Quinn doesn't like hearing Russian on the ice so Panarin's English better be pretty decent in that respect. I could care less if he can't interview well or doesn't feel comfortable interviewing without a translator. It'd be nice if his English got stronger but the dude is a stud with or without it.

Quinn doesn't like hearing Russian?

Was wondering if some of the more goalie knowledgeable people could fill me in on Igor's style.

Now just looking at his numbers he is an absolute beast, but when I watch his highlights he seems a little frantic and quick to slide around/drop to knees on every hint of action. He is able to recover quickly due to athleticism (Hasek?) but I am a tad worried a pro NHL'er would eat him alive once they realize he always makes the first move.

I do not have a trained eye for goalie styles though so I was looking for opinions.

Was wondering if some of the more goalie knowledgeable people could fill me in on Igor's style.

Now just looking at his numbers he is an absolute beast, but when I watch his highlights he seems a little frantic and quick to slide around/drop to knees on every hint of action. He is able to recover quickly due to athleticism (Hasek?) but I am a tad worried a pro NHL'er would eat him alive once they realize he always makes the first move.

I do not have a trained eye for goalie styles though so I was looking for opinions.

A more-composed Jonathan Quick. Probably not as aggressive coming out of the net, therefore, doesn't scramble as much as Quick.

Maybe I'm just thinking of Quick because you said it twice in your post, but play wise, that's the name that came to my mind.

Buch did a Russian interview recently and mentioned it there: https://m.championat.com/article/sport/hockey/3743937/
Yea I think you're creating a context that isn't accurate.

He wants everyone communicating and you can't do that unl s you're all speaking the same language. There's only one Russian skater on the team besides Buch, so this makes complete sense. If there are 4-5 and they're talking amongst themselves, I don't get the sense there'd be an issue.

No, just one.

Putting english language over in-game play is just... astounding...

Just a few points

- i highly doubt all 3 will be on a line together

- there are 6 teammates on the ice together

- you?ve probably not been around the game much. From the NHL, to college, to juniors, foreign players learn the native language quickly for a reason.

I don?t have to debate you as to if. I am simply telling you WHY it already happens at every level.

If someone wants to help out their teammate, I don't fucking care if they use smoke signals. You do whatever the fuck you need to do to get that player the assistance or coaching.

Refusing to help, or forcing someone to speak a specific language they dont understand, is counter productive.

You are openly admitting to refusing a help a player because he doesnt speak your language. That is beyond ignorant in 2019.

And Shersterkin didnt play JUNIOR HOCKEY in the NA!!!

:palm:

If someone wants to help out their teammate, I don't fucking care if they use smoke signals. You do whatever the fuck you need to do to get that player the assistance or coaching.

Refusing to help, or forcing someone to speak a specific language they dont understand, is counter productive.

You are openly admitting to refusing a help a player because he doesnt speak your language. That is beyond ignorant in 2019.

And Shersterkin didnt play JUNIOR HOCKEY in the NA!!!

:palm:

Hmmm, maybe you didn?t read that correctly. And like i mentioned, i know your not familiar with the game other than being a fan.

USHL, NAHL, NCAA all get imports. Here with our NAHL and NCAA team we have a program to work imports with local familiars of same origin.

Part of that process is for them to learn the English language as quickly as possible.

So I?ll summarize one more time.

In North American hockey leagues, the players speak English.

Not sure how else to break it down for you.

Hmmm, maybe you didn’t read that correctly. And like i mentioned, i know your not familiar with the game other than being a fan.

USHL, NAHL, NCAA all get imports. Here with our NAHL and NCAA team we have a program to work imports with local familiars of same origin.

Part of that process is for them to learn the English language as quickly as possible.

So I’ll summarize one more time.

In North American hockey leagues, the players speak English.

Not sure how else to break it down for you.

I'm very familiar with hockey.

Maybe you arent familiar with people outside of Alaska.

Chatter on the bench should be in English

As an adult, stating, ney, preaching this is embarrassing. Why do you even care what form of communication players are using between each other?

I'm very familiar with hockey.

Maybe you arent familiar with people outside of Alaska.

As an adult, stating, ney, preaching this is embarrassing. Why do you even care what form of communication players are using between each other?

Once again.

Simply stating what actually happens in hockey in North America. Not sure what your point is

No, you are stating some out-dated xenophobic opinion displaying it as a necessity.

"i know your[e] not familiar with the [Pro] game other than being a fan."

There's a difference between strongly encouraging a young foreigner playing youth hockey to acclimate to NA and become educated on traditions and language vs. in-game scenarios that need immediate and clear communication regarding a play at the pro level.

At the NHL level, its much more important to be efficient at hockey than speaking English on the bench.