• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers "Not Afraid" to Use Offer Sheet

Phil

are they threatening offer sheets in the hopes that teams will trade for less than the offer sheet cost? Could be a way to get teams to trade because they'd want to match whatever offer sheet comes but don't want the cost to be too high

In hopes that teams will trade other players to make room to sign their higher priority RFAs. Doesn't really make sense for a team to take less than offersheet compensation.

In hopes that teams will trade other players to make room to sign their higher priority RFAs. Doesn't really make sense for a team to take less than offersheet compensation.

The teams with players likely to be sent offer sheets are all contenders. TB, TOR, VGK, WPG. And the players they are "trading", could get a serviceable return, via trade, that could help them the next few seasons. Or make sure you arent letting Marner go to a division rival.

The teams with players likely to be sent offer sheets are all contenders. TB, TOR, VGK, WPG. And the players they are "trading", could get a serviceable return, via trade, that could help them the next few seasons. Or make sure you arent letting Marner go to a division rival.

Ahh yeah. True. Makes sense.

It's interesting that Friedman would run with this, because every time offer sheets come up on the 31 Thoughts podcast he kills it dead with "Offer sheets don't happen. Next."

just slamming shit up against the wall praying something might stick. I'll stick to the premise of offer sheets aren't a realistic option.

No one uses them. GM’s match them. Or the other GM doesn’t want to risk the price. Or they both see that when considering it so they just don’t do it.

It’s a small community within front offices around the league. They all know each other. So many people have worked for and with one another. No one wants bad blood or sore feelings or to make an enemy out of another GM or organization that they may have to do business with down the road.

They simply aren’t viable

Haven’t had a summer like this before. You’ll see team pressing these players to get them and/or screw their current teams. These top teams are in dangerous waters, cap wise. Sharks are circling.

Haven’t had a summer like this before. You’ll see team pressing these players to get them and/or screw their current teams. These top teams are in dangerous waters, cap wise. Sharks are circling.

That’s fair and has some truth to it I suppose. Maybe it’s a little bit of a different set of circumstances. But I think it will take several GM’s doing it for it to become a thing.

I get the sense that the Rangers are like a shark circling the waters. Calm but capable of something if they want to.

This is the most excited I've been about the Rangers in years. Gorton has played his hand very very well.

Not a personal comment here so please don't take it that way but can Gorton actually improve this team signficantly even a little bit first. I honestly this it's silly to prematurely judge him either way but even the earliest of results are a mixed bag. Add to the fact that he's never turned a team around and maybe a timeout to see how this plays out.

It would be something to see the Rangers trade for their pick back.
Elliotte Friedman seem to think they could call Carolina and try to work out a different pick...? He's a smart guy but that seems like a stupid comment at the time.

Not a personal comment here so please don't take it that way but can Gorton actually improve this team signficantly even a little bit first. I honestly this it's silly to prematurely judge him either way but even the earliest of results are a mixed bag. Add to the fact that he's never turned a team around and maybe a timeout to see how this plays out.
Yeah, all we have are picks and prospects. While Gorton might get credit for the trades and putting us into a position that we're in, he also gets a blame for picks like Anderson.

Also we don't really know what Kravtsov is, thank goodness we're either getting Hughes or Kakko.

I'm excited, but not ready to say this guy is huge success.

The best thing I can say about him thus far is that everything he's done has been pretty logical. We can follow along pretty easily.

Andersson pick is wonky, but Kravtsov was out of left field and should get very high marks at this point, so that's a wash right now imo.

Shattenkirk deal is garbage but he almost had to make it, it was viewed as a big discount at the time.

Quinn was a great hire, but still has lots to prove.

It's kind of steady as she goes. Nothing profound has happened, but that may be about to change very quickly.

So we've labeled Andersson a bust already at 20 years old? Lol. I see some potential there. Not like we've seen from Chytil thus far, but it's there. He just needs to grow up a bit and get experience as he was not nearly as NHL ready as advertised. Also, I don't think anybody that was taken after Lias in the 2017 draft has actually made this a bad pick. You can't call it a miss if there were no hits after #7, but it's too soon to tell that either.

It would be something to see the Rangers trade for their pick back.

Elliotte Friedman seem to think they could call Carolina and try to work out a different pick...? He's a smart guy but that seems like a stupid comment at the time.

What's this about?

If the Rangers expect to be a player in the offer sheet space, the 2020 conditional pick they sent to Carolina for Fox could complicate things.

Glad someone brought that up.

How realistic do you think the offer sheet ploy is?

I suppose I have a hard time taking it seriously until I see it.

Well, without it back, the only category they can compete in is the highest ($10,568,590+) — the compensation of which is four first-round picks.

It's a shame too, because there's some good players well worth 2 1sts/2nd/3rd. Players that you could pay just enough to make it a tough decision for their respective teams. Matthew Tkachuk, Patrik Laine, possibly William Karlsson...

Well, without it back, the only category they can compete in is the highest ($10,568,590+) — the compensation of which is four first-round picks.

Compensation for the $4 mil-$6 mil range is a 1st and a 3rd. Which leads me to the most logical choice for us to make, Kasperi Kapanen. Great young player and the Leafs most likely can't match in that range for him. People are thinking too big with the other guys. This would be the range we would look for.

Compensation for the $4 mil-$6 mil range is a 1st and a 3rd. Which leads me to the most logical choice for us to make, Kasperi Kapanen. Great young player and the Leafs most likely can't match in that range for him. People are thinking too big with the other guys. This would be the range we would look for.

I'd love Kapanen, but that's danger territory.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk