• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"Shattenkirk on the clock,"

Phil

Link:

A decision will have to be made regarding the future of Kevin Shattenkirk, who has two years at a $6.65 million cap hit per remaining on his contract. A corresponding decision will also be made regarding an attempt to deal for Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg’s impending restricted free agent who would become the Blueshirts’ first-pair righty should they acquire No. 8.

The Blueshirts will almost certainly attempt to trade Shattenkirk and would be willing to pick up 50 percent of the cost and the cap charge to get it done. But they attempted to make such a move at the deadline this season and had few nibbles, and those came from clubs who insisted Gorton also take an onerous contract back in return.

If they cannot trade the 30-year-old, they will have to consider a buyout that would create an additional $5.166 million-plus of space this season and $566,667 next year, while adding $1.433 million-plus of dead space to the ledger in 2021-22 and 2022-23. Brendan Smith is also a buyout candidate.

Gorton would not say it because he cannot, but the Rangers would feel pretty good about themselves if they could go into next season with Trouba, Fox and Tony DeAngelo lining up one-two-three on the right side of the blue line with Neal Pionk in reserve.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/30/rangers-land-stud-harvard-defenseman-adam-fox-in-hurricanes-trade/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just think Shatty was playing hurt the last couple of seasons. I have a strange feeling he has a comeback season next year. He wasn't skating well, and he was always a really good skater. His shot was off and it looked like he was a step behind the play on more than a few occasions.

For some reason I feel a comeback year in the making. Calling it now.....

I just think Shatty was playing hurt the last couple of seasons. I have a strange feeling he has a comeback season next year. He wasn't skating well, and he was always a really good skater. His shot was off and it looked like he was a step behind the play on more than a few occasions.

If he remains on the team, I sure hope you are right!

Who are you benching for him on the right side?

The problem is that he's not a third-pair, puck-moving, PP defender. There's nothing to differentiate him from Pionk and DeAngelo, who are both younger and cheaper.

I think there is a decent chance of significantly improved play from Shatty. Brooks may be jumping the gun a bit as far as the impact of Fox goes, because he's not necessarily even going to be in NY next season. I think this means Poink is on the clock more than Shatty.

I think there is a decent chance of significantly improved play from Shatty. Brooks may be jumping the gun a bit as far as the impact of Fox goes, because he's not necessarily even going to be in NY next season. I think this means Poink is on the clock more than Shatty.

Based on what? He's been complete shit the last two seasons.

As for Fox, it would be a massive disappointment if he didn't make the big club. He led the NCAA in points per game last year. He's got no more room to develop there.

Brooks blocked me on Twitter and I have no idea why. I don't even tweet. Does he use some kind of Bot block list or something? Asshole!

Welcome to the party!

I called him out for incorrectly stating about the cba, went back and forth over DMs. Two days later, he stated exactly what I said in a dm. I sent him a message about it and blocked.

I?m blocked by most - shockingly! Mirtle, for example, because I mocked his name after he jumped the gun on a trade. Stepan blocked me during his post trade tantrum.

Love Twitter

A decision will have to be made regarding the future of Kevin Shattenkirk, who has two years at a $6.65 million cap hit per remaining on his contract. A corresponding decision will also be made regarding an attempt to deal for Jacob Trouba, Winnipeg’s impending restricted free agent who would become the Blueshirts’ first-pair righty should they acquire No. 8.

The Blueshirts will almost certainly attempt to trade Shattenkirk and would be willing to pick up 50 percent of the cost and the cap charge to get it done. But they attempted to make such a move at the deadline this season and had few nibbles, and those came from clubs who insisted Gorton also take an onerous contract back in return.

If they cannot trade the 30-year-old, they will have to consider a buyout that would create an additional $5.166 million-plus of space this season and $566,667 next year, while adding $1.433 million-plus of dead space to the ledger in 2021-22 and 2022-23. Brendan Smith is also a buyout candidate.

Gorton would not say it because he cannot, but the Rangers would feel pretty good about themselves if they could go into next season with Trouba, Fox and Tony DeAngelo lining up one-two-three on the right side of the blue line with Neal Pionk in reserve.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/30/rangers-land-stud-harvard-defenseman-adam-fox-in-hurricanes-trade/

As for Fox, it would be a massive disappointment if he didn't make the big club. He led the NCAA in points per game last year. He's got no more room to develop there.

Yeah. But there’s basically no reason to give up a 2nd to get him now unless you’re very confident he makes the team. Giving up assets in order to have him in Hartford for a year seems like a waste of everyone’s time & money.

Who are you benching for him on the right side?

The problem is that he's not a third-pair, puck-moving, PP defender. There's nothing to differentiate him from Pionk and DeAngelo, who are both younger and cheaper.

I think the real issue is that we're stuck with him, Future. I don't think he's worth a hill of beans on the market and yes, Pionk and De'Angelo are cheaper. I just don't think Shatty is truly as bad a player as he's been showing the last 2 years. All the years I've watched him, he'd been a pretty good offensive defenseman. But the last 2 years he can't get laid out there! From watching him, it just felt to me that he'd been banged up a little more than he led on.

The answer I have right now is I don't know who we sit for him. But I do think we have to build his value somehow if we're going to at least TRY to package him at some point.

I'm not sold on Pionk, but I do like De'Angelo's toughness and fire. I think D'Ang may fit in better, but that's right now. I guess we'll see come this fall. I'm actually pretty pumped to see the Rangers getting younger players with promise instead of going out and getting 32 year olds on the back 9 of their careers.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/30/ranger...ricanes-trade/

Does buying out these contracts overtime create more problems with cap space?

If you had to buyout Shatty or Smith- who do you pick? I can't decide... Definitely a "cleanest end of a turd" debate

Shatty all day, saves you nearly $2m more than Smith.

And I think Smith - even at the same cap hit - is a better player to have on your roster because he can be a 13F and 7D. Nobody would blink if each of those guys was making $1.5m. That's not a long term solution, but it's easier to swallow than Shatty as a 7D only.

Dude Larry Brooks definitely reads this board and gets paid to copy paste.

What exactly from that article would have been pulled from this board? Do we really thing BSBH is the only place that has talked about trading Shatty at 50% or a buyout? LMAO

Nobody on this board says anything so creative that, gasp, someone else couldn't possibly think of it too.

What exactly from that article would have been pulled from this board? Do we really thing BSBH is the only place that has talked about trading Shatty at 50% or a buyout? LMAO

Nobody on this board says anything so creative that, gasp, someone else couldn't possibly think of it too.

It's been well documented that Brooks articles correlate pretty closely in timing to threads opening here. And they aren't always "current events" type subjects. Sometimes they're just musings that then find their way into Slapshots.

It's been going on for awhile.