• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

"Shattenkirk on the clock,"

Phil

It's been well documented that Brooks articles correlate pretty closely in timing to threads opening here. And they aren't always "current events" type subjects. Sometimes they're just musings that then find their way into Slapshots.

It's been going on for awhile.

No it hasn't. It has come up in this same context

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude Larry Brooks definitely reads this board and gets paid to copy paste.

Who cares if he does read our stuff that gets him ideas on what to research and follow-up on? I actually like that he may take some things that we're discussing, use his resources to flush it out a bit more and make it more concrete, and then produce it for the masses. There is some real, high-end, knowledge going on with this board and people would be foolish not to take a peek at it.

What exactly from that article would have been pulled from this board? Do we really thing BSBH is the only place that has talked about trading Shatty at 50% or a buyout? LMAO

Nobody on this board says anything so creative that, gasp, someone else couldn't possibly think of it too.

This board was founded on, and thrived under, the diverse, unique and non-traditional views of its posters.

Trying to work this one out.

Shattenkirk is owed 6m in actual salary next season, a 2m bonus on 7/1/20, and 2m for 20/21. Basically, on 7/1/20, he's now a 6.65m cap hit with a 2m actual salary - very attractive to floor teams.

I think the kind of deal we'd get for him right this moment is a pure hockey trade, but those are not easy to come by right this moment. I think, even if he's kinda meh next year too, he gains a good bit of value on 7/1/20.

If we're intent on dealing him this offseason, return options are both limited and unattractive.

His play over these first 2 seasons has been shit. They tried to move him last year at the deadline and got no real offers for him. He isn’t desirable right now. Moreover, I think Pionk is probably the odd man out in the mix on the right side of the D. While I do think they’d move him in a heartbeat right now, and they will surely try to, they may just have to hope that he gets healthy and comes into camp motivated. If that happens and his play improves, they’ll likely find a suitor. They’ll still have to work around his NTC and they’ll still have to eat some of his salary.

But look, while it certainly appears that they are going to be improved this coming season and be in competition for a playoff spot, it’s hard to imagine them as true contenders for another couple of seasons.

Those 3 contracts on D don’t kill them.

If they go through this year with those 3 guys on the roster, then next summer, they have buyout and trade options on all 3 with each of them going into final years of contracts.

I can live with that

And those guys being on the roster doesn’t necessarily block anyone. Quinn will scratch anyone. He’s shown that.

I really hope we'll be able to trade Shatty because I have a feeling we'll have to buyout at least one of Staal or Smith and at this moment i'd say Shatty has the best return possible for us.

A "good return" would be no salary retained, IMO. They're not going to get anything for him in terms of useful skaters.

A "good return" would be no salary retained, IMO. They're not going to get anything for him in terms of useful skaters.

You’re 100% right. Even with improved play and somewhat of a return to previous form, he’s still just a salary dump. As long as Thames don’t take back a contract or at least nothing more than an expiring contract I’d be happy

this is the type of trade they really need to avoid in the future. the guy never really played as a 1st pair dman. just seems like we square pegged/round holed this one, even with the discount.

They totally did that when they signed him. Not a top pairing guy. Never really was. Not great in his own end. Needs a high quality partner to buoy him. Needs to play at least somewhat sheltered minutes. Really only effective offensively and on the PP. And that has diminished.

But I’d still be willing to bring him back this year if he’s healthy and hungry and see how he does.

His play over these first 2 seasons has been shit. They tried to move him last year at the deadline and got no real offers for him. He isn’t desirable right now. Moreover, I think Pionk is probably the odd man out in the mix on the right side of the D. While I do think they’d move him in a heartbeat right now, and they will surely try to, they may just have to hope that he gets healthy and comes into camp motivated. If that happens and his play improves, they’ll likely find a suitor. They’ll still have to work around his NTC and they’ll still have to eat some of his salary.

But look, while it certainly appears that they are going to be improved this coming season and be in competition for a playoff spot, it’s hard to imagine them as true contenders for another couple of seasons.

Those 3 contracts on D don’t kill them.

If they go through this year with those 3 guys on the roster, then next summer, they have buyout and trade options on all 3 with each of them going into final years of contracts.

I can live with that

And those guys being on the roster doesn’t necessarily block anyone. Quinn will scratch anyone. He’s shown that.

Fair point. This makes me feel better.

There's a real log jam of presumptive NHL defensemen on the roster now: Shatty, Staal, Skjei, Pionk, DeAngelo, Hajek, Lindgren, Fox, and Smith makes 9 and there's a lot of talk of adding somebody like Trouba. Should be interesting how that gets pared down, with Smith being the only sure deletion and even that might not be a sure thing.

The possibility of trading Shatty to a bottom troller who would find the actual $2 million they must pay attractive and the much bigger cap hit irrelevant is interesting, but I would assume most such teams would be on his 10 team no trade list.

There's a real log jam of presumptive NHL defensemen on the roster now: Shatty, Staal, Skjei, Pionk, DeAngelo, Hajek, Lindgren, Fox, and Smith makes 9 and there's a lot of talk of adding somebody like Trouba. Should be interesting how that gets pared down, with Smith being the only sure deletion and even that might not be a sure thing.

The possibility of trading Shatty to a bottom troller who would find the actual $2 million they must pay attractive and the much bigger cap hit irrelevant is interesting, but I would assume most such teams would be on his 10 team no trade list.

That's next offseason, after his 7/1/2020 bonus is paid out.

2019-20 is 6.65m cap hit, $0 signing bonus, $6.60m salary

Thanks for the correction. 3.3 (with half retention) and 2.0 for the following year might look attractive to a bottom troller, but he'll probably have to be bought out if they really are intent on getting rid of him.

Thanks for the correction. 3.3 (with half retention) and 2.0 for the following year might look attractive to a bottom troller, but he'll probably have to be bought out if they really are intent on getting rid of him.

I don’t think they’ll buy any of them out this summer. I don’t think they want 4 years of dead cap space on any of them. Cap space is always nice but they aren’t desperate for it. They can wait.

If I’m Gorton, I’m trying to do the following.

1) Trade Smith this summer. Find a team that will take him on his list and eat salary

2) Trade Shatty at deadline . Eat salary

3) Buyout Staal next summer

Maybe it goes differently. But I think at this moment that’s most logical

I don?t think they?ll buy any of them out this summer. I don?t think they want 4 years of dead cap space on any of them. Cap space is always nice but they aren?t desperate for it. They can wait.

If I?m Gorton, I?m trying to do the following.

1) Trade Smith this summer. Find a team that will take him on his list and eat salary

Maybe it goes differently. But I think at this moment that?s most logical

I don’t think they’ll buy any of them out this summer. I don’t think they want 4 years of dead cap space on any of them. Cap space is always nice but they aren’t desperate for it. They can wait.

If I’m Gorton, I’m trying to do the following.

Maybe it goes differently. But I think at this moment that’s most logical

IMO, bury Smith if you don't find a taker. You could do worse than him as a leader on your AHL team. Saves 975K or whatever in cap, but doesn't force us to eat the penalty for 4 years.

Shatty plays the year out, IMO. He's probably dealt around training camp 2020 if at all, once his cap hit becomes triple his salary.

Staal, I don't mind. You need someone with gray hairs to help guide the kids.

IMO, bury Smith if you don't find a taker. You could do worse than him as a leader on your AHL team. Saves 975K or whatever in cap, but doesn't force us to eat the penalty for 4 years.

Shatty plays the year out, IMO. He's probably dealt around training camp 2020 if at all, once his cap hit becomes triple his salary.

Staal, I don't mind. You need someone with gray hairs to help guide the kids.

He literally broke his hand punching a teammate last time he was in Hartford.