• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire D Adam Fox from CAR for 2019 2nd Rounder, 2020 Conditional 3rd

Phil

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Adam Fox improve our defense? Especially, next season. He doesn't. Plain and simple. He's going to be a shit show in his own end for his first year or two. How many more undersized pseudo offensive D-men can we run out there and expect us to be competent in our own end?

We could have had him for nothing had we just waited a year. A year that we've pretty mucvlh already written off.

(2) 2nd rounders is a big price. That's two guys who have reasonable prospects at being NHL contributors or more.

On the other hand, he is a nice piece to have even if it means I'll never have to watch Pionk again, it's probably worth it for that alone.

None of this is true. You don't know if he could be had for free next year, just like you don't know if Panarin will be signing here. If he makes the team that means he's an upgrade over whoever he beats out. Rangers must have confidence he'll make the team.

Generally speaking, when you have the chance to add skill, you add skill. The Rangers have been a largely skill-less team since the lockout and now we're finally adding a shit load of players who project to be full of skill. If it turns out that they have too many puck moving D-men, guess what? They can trade one. But until that is determined, it's never a bad thing to add a great prospect. Better to have a surplus than a deficit.

As for next year, I don't think there's anyone who believes next season is a throw away season.

Yes, this is another over payment, but not close to the ridiculously rich MSL package when he would only accept a trade to the Rangers or not getting Tampa's top rated prospect for an elite D-Man. I agree that a 2d round pick has about a 20% chance of becoming a decent NHL player. Of course, I don't know what Fox's chances are. The way he's getting played up by some, he'd be a mid to late first round pick if eligible for the draft this year.

Yes, this is another over payment, but not close to the ridiculously rich MSL package when he would only accept a trade to the Rangers or not getting Tampa's top rated prospect for an elite D-Man. I agree that a 2d round pick has about a 20% chance of becoming a decent NHL player. Of course, I don't know what Fox's chances are. The way he's getting played up by some, he'd be a mid to late first round pick if eligible for the draft this year.

I think he would be higher than that.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Through good luck and some good moves, the rebuild is getting far enough along that we need to start moving from quantity to quality. Despite the fact that Fox himself went #66 in the 3rd in 2016, the willingness to use 2nd rounders represents a shift in that direction. Seems like a very good player, but how much quality we got is to be determined. "Hobey Baker Finalist" is now the equivalent of a good citizenship award or some other warmed over pablum for me based on the fact that they gave the whole freaking award to Vesey in 2016.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Im not happy that we had to give way our own 2nd(37th overall) when Carolina had little leverage. I mean Tampa's pick ok but at 37 you can get a good player. If the Stars are able to beat the Blues(I have my doubts) then its a little easier to swallow. Kind of reminds me of the Tim Erixon trade but at least he was a 1st rounder. So although im happy with the player I felt we gave up too high of a pick. Good deal for Carolina who was gonna lose him for nothing

Tony D and Fox are essentially the same player, based on what I'm reading of Fox. I don't hate your pairings, besides thinking they immediately suck as a group, but those pairing include deletions of Shattenkirk and Smith. I dunno how they do that.

That's why i said long term. Smith and Shatty are only on the books 2 more years....which I guess would take Staal out as well.

I don't mind this move, but giving up 2 2nd rounders for him kind of hurts, especially knowing Carolina had very little leverage. Hopefully he pans out here.

That's my main issue. I understand he has played well above his original third round selection but like you said Carolina had no leverage. Tampa's pick along with the same condition in 2020 would of been more ideal. I just feel at 37 you can get a good player and since we are rebuilding that's an important pick. Like I said if Dallas can give us another first rounder then I will feel a little better about it but I hate paying more to a team that had no leverage

On the leverage issue, both in the Canes development camp last spring and again in December Fox said that his goal was to get to the NHL as soon as possible. In Dec, he put it in context of not just wanting to play for the Rangers. (I know the common wisdom was that he only had eyes for MSG, but that's at least not what he said.) https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes-very-confident-they-can-sign-adam-fox/ar-BBQOw8k He didn't want to go back to Harvard and he apparently didn't want to get in Carolina's long and robust D queue. It is not inconceivable that someone else might have made a better offer that would guaranteed that Fox was on an NHL rink come October. I think it would have seriously tempted fate to have turned up our nose at acquiring his rights now, evenfor 2 2nds. I wouldn't say the Canes had no leverage. It wasn't much, but there was some and if we wanted to lock him up, now was the time.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

The picks are entirely justified. His list was not "Rangers or no one," so the idea that he'd accept a trade to say Toronto, only to tell them "no, I only want to play for New York," is crazy. I think he'd have thought long and hard about the right teams. None of whom were Carolina.

The Blueshirts are expected to sign Fox, who will compete for Team USA in the upcoming World Championships, within the next 48 hours to a three-year entry-level deal that will likely come in at the max of $925,000 per plus bonuses. Fox will be exempt from claim in the Seattle expansion draft.

https://nypost.com/2019/04/30/rangers-land-stud-harvard-defenseman-adam-fox-in-hurricanes-trade/

Excellent stuff. Carolina had no leverage, but getting him now and giving him an extra year in the NHL has value. And there are no guarantees he’d be a Ranger if they waited/low balled.

It also forces their hand somewhat in terms of blowing up that shit show of a d-corps, which is exciting in and of itself.

Excellent stuff. Carolina had no leverage, but getting him now and giving him an extra year in the NHL has value. And there are no guarantees he?d be a Ranger if they waited/low balled.

It also forces their hand somewhat in terms of blowing up that shit show of a d-corps, which is exciting in and of itself.

I think this is the most important part. I don't care who the GM is, no one is going to just give extra value just because they feel bad for the other team. Let's have some faith in Gorton or anyone that would make this decision...They have more information than any of us. There is no way that Fox would say "Rangers or no one else". If our D looked like Carolina's D Fox would definitely not be all that interested in being here either. It's about opportunity to play immediately in the NHL which, since our D corps is what it is, presents itself as very likely with the Rangers.

Excellent stuff. Carolina had no leverage, but getting him now and giving him an extra year in the NHL has value. And there are no guarantees he’d be a Ranger if they waited/low balled.

right on. i'm looking forward to see what they do with the D this off season. believe brooks article said they tried to move shatty at the deadline but teams wanted them to take back significant salary or swap with another egregious contract, neither of which were enticing at the time.

Link:

knew it was coming but never the less "niiiiiiiiiceeeeee"

on a side note have they announced Kravtsov and Shesty officially signing? I know it wasnt official until their contracts were up which I thought was May 1st. But I havent seen anything about it.

knew it was coming but never the less "niiiiiiiiiceeeeee"

on a side note have they announced Kravtsov and Shesty officially signing? I know it wasnt official until their contracts were up which I thought was May 1st. But I havent seen anything about it.

Just waiting for the paperwork to go through with the league.

• Like 1