• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Acquire D Adam Fox from CAR for 2019 2nd Rounder, 2020 Conditional 3rd

Phil

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9. Montreal Canadiens: Adam Fox

Actual draft pick: No. 66 (change: +57) to Calgary

My final ranking: No. 29 (change: +20)

Remember when I said that this ranking was going to be based on my evaluations? Well here we are at the point where a kid who has yet to play an NHL game gets ranked ahead of several who are a season or two deep into their NHL careers. I?m confident Fox is going to be that good. He?s one of those players who is going to spend so much time with the puck on his stick on offence that concerns over the ability of a smaller defender to be a No. 1 are quickly going to be muted. Fox is a stud who just had the most productive season by an NCAA defenceman (1.45 points per game!) since I began doing this whole scouting things six years ago (breaking the record of 1.08 points per game that he tied two seasons before). This is a kid, who, as a defenceman, posted 17 more points than his nearest teammate while playing to a plus-23 rating on a Harvard team that spent more time outside of USA Today?s national NCAA ranking than it did inside it. He?s going to immediately become an impact player for the Rangers and will probably go down as the second-biggest steal of the 2016 draft (if that?s possible for a kid who never played for the team that drafted him) to Alex DeBrincat. Like DeBrincat, I was considerably higher on Fox than the NHL consensus, so that?s good, but I was still too low on him. The kid led the NCAA in points per game (not just defencemen, everyone)!

https://theathletic.com/975897/2019/06/05/wheeler-a-2016-nhl-draft-re-draft-and-retrospective-look-back-at-my-ranking/

Pionk so gone. Quite a logjam. Can't draft another D in 1st, can they?

Offence guys: Deangelo, Fox, Shattenkirk, Pionk

Combo guys: Skjei, Reunanen, Hajek, Rykov

SAH guys: Staal, Claesson, Lindgren, Smith

Horizon: Miller, Lundqvist, Keane

Trade Shattenkirk, buyout Smith.

Skjei/DeAngelo

Hajek/Fox

Staal/Pionk

Claesson

The rest go to HFD for a the time being.

I mean just keep Shattenkirk over Pionk. What's Pionk going to get? 2.5 mill? A Shattenkirk trade would still probably see us paying half (3.3M?). Basically stuck with Shattenkirk's cap hit for Pionk. At least I have some kind of [slim] hope Shattenkirk's career can be rekindled.

I mean just keep Shattenkirk over Pionk. What's Pionk going to get? 2.5 mill? A Shattenkirk trade would still probably see us paying half (3.3M?). Basically stuck with Shattenkirk's cap hit for Pionk. At least I have some kind of [slim] hope Shattenkirk's career can be rekindled.

I want to move both of them, but I doubt they give up on Pionk.

Agreed. Pionk may have some value. I'd rather they not eat Shattenkirk money. You need some veterans out there. Add in that if he plays like shit he can be benched. Pionk still gets kid gloves treatment and gets top minutes to play through his never ending shitty defensive game.

Meaning, in a weird way, I think Shattenkirk gives them more flexibility. Unless cap space is essential, I feel the smart move is to deal the younger guy here, because he has more value. Fuck, if you can deal them both that would be great too, but I don't see Pionk as a good fit for a roster that should be shuffling kids up and down the pipe line to see who plays up to the need and standard of the spot. IMO Pionk won't ever get benched here. He needs to be.

Sucks. He has potential to be decent or really good. I just think DeAngelo is way better. Everyone is hyping up Fox, so I guess he's a shoe in. Just no room to dedicate developmental time for all three offensive D men.