Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 167

Thread: Rangers Acquire D Adam Fox from CAR for 2019 2nd Rounder, 2020 Conditional 3rd

  1. #121
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,096
    Rep Power
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Nah. Guess we will see. I'm not buying in. If anything he Pionk part 2.

    Nevermind the lack of a need for another one dimensional offensive D man who will be learning on the job.

    I'm fine with keeping just DeAngelo as the point producer on defense.
    The difference between Pionk and Fox, basically, is one is good offensively, while the other can run/control the offense. The first season, sure, I can see them looking similar. After that, the ceiling for Fox is so much higher. (And I’m not a big Fox fan).
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  2. #122
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,525
    Rep Power
    35
    From what I saw of fox at the wjc, I went to the one in Montreal when the us won gold, I didn’t like his game. Granted it was years ago and you’re judging kids but I listened to the hype and just couldn’t see it myself. I saw a risk taking player who had skill but a questionable understanding of situational hockry and decision making. I found myself cursing his play throughout the semi vs Russia and the gold medal game against Canada. He had no tie with the rangers so I wasn’t watching him intently, he just kept becoming noticeable to me by his mistakes. Those games were as intense as any ranger playoff game for me and him above all players left me disgusted with his game.

    I know it means little and he’s had three years of growth since then. What concerns me is that people raved about his game then and I thought he sucked hard in the little I saw of him. So the raves I hear now are s little hard to believe. At least I will wait to see what he looks like today. Matt gilroy May very well be a great comparison here. I hope not

  3. #123
    Just a Simple Country Squire BSBH Prospect
    Dunny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    13,606
    Rep Power
    320
    His college bucket really, really, really bothers me.

  4. #124
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfrancesa View Post
    From what I saw of fox at the wjc, I went to the one in Montreal when the us won gold, I didn’t like his game. Granted it was years ago and you’re judging kids but I listened to the hype and just couldn’t see it myself. I saw a risk taking player who had skill but a questionable understanding of situational hockry and decision making. I found myself cursing his play throughout the semi vs Russia and the gold medal game against Canada. He had no tie with the rangers so I wasn’t watching him intently, he just kept becoming noticeable to me by his mistakes. Those games were as intense as any ranger playoff game for me and him above all players left me disgusted with his game.

    I know it means little and he’s had three years of growth since then. What concerns me is that people raved about his game then and I thought he sucked hard in the little I saw of him. So the raves I hear now are s little hard to believe. At least I will wait to see what he looks like today. Matt gilroy May very well be a great comparison here. I hope not
    Didn't he have 3 assists in that gold medal game?

  5. #125
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    rmc51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,945
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Didn't he have 3 assists in that gold medal game?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFR31pyxjSU

    Assists on the 2nd and 4th goals. That pass on the 4th goal was beautiful.

    I'd take analysis seen here with a big grain of salt. Fox won't move the needle for everybody. The bar for that is pretty high.

  6. #126
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Fatfrancesa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    1,525
    Rep Power
    35
    Of course you are. It was three years ago. He is now and was then a very good offensive player. He was then at least very spotty in his own end and suspect in his decision making regarding risk worth reward. Again it was three years ago. Just trying to provide some thought to temper expectations at the very least. He’s a very good prospect, there is no denying that which I am not. He plays defense and his defensive play needs work. Maybe more work than people think.

  7. #127
    Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    953
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphinity View Post
    According to TSN's research, two 2nds has roughly a 20% chance of producing an NHL player.

    https://www.tsn.ca/playing-the-perce...draft-1.206144

    That's the wrong chart. The odds for one out of the two making it is actually 70% (2+2)


  8. #128
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,094
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    That's the wrong chart. The odds for one out of the two making it is actually 70% (2+2)

    This can't be right. Over 30% chance of getting atleast 1 NHL player out of two 7th rounders? Thats wrong.

  9. #129
    Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    953
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuc View Post
    This can't be right. Over 30% chance of getting atleast 1 NHL player out of two 7th rounders? Thats wrong.
    No that's correct, the odds of a 7th rounder becoming an NHL player is almost like 18% - those are the stats. The odds of 1 of 2 hitting is additive, so around 35% is right. The chance of BOTH making it is a multiplier, so then it would be more like 4%

    The hit rate really flattens out from round 4 to round 7:


  10. #130
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,699
    Rep Power
    65
    What does "become an NHL'er" mean in this context? Get signed? Play a game?

  11. #131
    Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    953
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    What does "become an NHL'er" mean in this context? Get signed? Play a game?
    50+ games played

    what really hurts is picking that bust in the first round outside of that 80% hit rate
    Last edited by GordonGecko; 05-06-2019 at 09:40 AM.

  12. #132
    Senior Member Mite Division Rosenvold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    126
    Rep Power
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
    50+ games played

    what really hurts is picking that bust in the first round outside of that 80% hit rate
    By those standards, Dylan McIlrath is as much of a draft success as Alexander Ovechkin. Both count as 1 in that statistic. Important to remember.

    Anyway, nice graph and interesting numbers. How are 1st rounders counted? Average of all 1st round picks or only picks 15-31? The latter would be the most relevant, since lottery picks are so rarely traded.

  13. #133
    Coaching Fail Pee-Wee Division GordonGecko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    953
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosenvold View Post
    By those standards, Dylan McIlrath is as much of a draft success as Alexander Ovechkin. Both count as 1 in that statistic. Important to remember.

    Anyway, nice graph and interesting numbers. How are 1st rounders counted? Average of all 1st round picks or only picks 15-31? The latter would be the most relevant, since lottery picks are so rarely traded.
    You would have to perform a much more detailed analysis, but it's not that hard to do. The TSN guy looked at 10 years of draft picks from 2000-2009. You can put all those players in a simple database along with their lifetime stats and run a bunch of quick queries, like narrowing it down to top 15 picks vs back 16 in round 1, or having a chart with different criteria for an "NHL PLayer" like X points scored for forwards or < Y GAA for goalies.

  14. #134
    Russian Meddling BSBH Rookie
    josh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    28,096
    Rep Power
    345
    https://www.tsn.ca/statistically-spe...picks-1.317819

    Used to be a great breakdown, per pick on percentages to likely make the nhl, top6/bottom 6 etc.
    Appears the page is down, though. bummer.


    Try
    https://web.archive.org/web/20170816...picks-1.317819
    Lias Andersson for #AJT2019

  15. #135
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Gravesy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    1,699
    Rep Power
    65
    Just reading Scott Wheeler's redraft of 2016. He's now got Fox going at #9 to the Canadiens.

    9. Montreal Canadiens: Adam Fox
    Actual draft pick: No. 66 (change: +57) to Calgary
    My final ranking: No. 29 (change: +20)

    Remember when I said that this ranking was going to be based on my evaluations? Well here we are at the point where a kid who has yet to play an NHL game gets ranked ahead of several who are a season or two deep into their NHL careers. I’m confident Fox is going to be that good. He’s one of those players who is going to spend so much time with the puck on his stick on offence that concerns over the ability of a smaller defender to be a No. 1 are quickly going to be muted. Fox is a stud who just had the most productive season by an NCAA defenceman (1.45 points per game!) since I began doing this whole scouting things six years ago (breaking the record of 1.08 points per game that he tied two seasons before). This is a kid, who, as a defenceman, posted 17 more points than his nearest teammate while playing to a plus-23 rating on a Harvard team that spent more time outside of USA Today’s national NCAA ranking than it did inside it. He’s going to immediately become an impact player for the Rangers and will probably go down as the second-biggest steal of the 2016 draft (if that’s possible for a kid who never played for the team that drafted him) to Alex DeBrincat. Like DeBrincat, I was considerably higher on Fox than the NHL consensus, so that’s good, but I was still too low on him. The kid led the NCAA in points per game (not just defencemen, everyone)!

    2018-2019 season (Junior, NCAA): 48 points (9G, 39A), 33 games. Hobey Baker Award Finalist.
    https://theathletic.com/975897/2019/...at-my-ranking/

  16. #136
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,851
    Rep Power
    56
    Iím so excite!


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  17. #137
    Senior Member Midget Division
    Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Central NJ
    Posts
    3,789
    Rep Power
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesy View Post
    Just reading Scott Wheeler's redraft of 2016. He's now got Fox going at #9 to the Canadiens.



    https://theathletic.com/975897/2019/...at-my-ranking/
    Can't get much more of a glowing review than that! Hope he lives up to it!

  18. #138
    Senior Member Bantam Division
    Flynn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Down South
    Posts
    1,697
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    Can't get much more of a glowing review than that! Hope he lives up to it!
    Also worth noting he had Howden #25 in that redraft.

  19. #139
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    ThirtyONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    11,649
    Rep Power
    131
    Rangers are doing everything right at the moment. It's crazy. I don't know this organization anymore.
    GORTON 2020

  20. #140
    Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    So Nashty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    10,851
    Rep Power
    56
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirtyONE View Post
    Rangers are doing everything right at the moment. It's crazy. I don't know this organization anymore.
    We all keep waiting for them to mess it up somehow lol


    Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •