• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

2018-19 | ECSF | New York Islanders (M2) v. Carolina Hurricanes (WC1)

Who wins?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Islanders in 4
    • Islanders in 5
    • Islanders in 6
    • Islanders in 7
    • Hurricanes in 4
    • Hurricanes in 5
    • Hurricanes in 6
    • Hurricanes in 7

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i hate the isles but its really hard to root for carolina lol

Look at it this way, a Carolina win gets us one spot better in the draft

The correct Rangers rooting interests are:

Columbus defeat Boston (+1 draft order)

Carolina defeat Brooklynders (+1 draft order, bonus that Piles are eliminated)

Colorado defeat San Jose (+1 draft order)

Dallas defeat St. Louis (First round pick instead of 2nd)

Then you can go for whoever you want but if Zucc re-signs with Dallas we get a 1st rounder in 2020

Then you can go for whoever you want but if Zucc re-signs with Dallas we get a 1st rounder in 2020

Well put.. i can get behind this.

Thanks for laying this out

This is all probably moot, as the Islanders clearly don't have a good chance of winning this series, but I'd say they have a better chance than most teams in a 0-3 hole for the following reasons:

1. They are not over matched, as teams down 0-3 often are, and they have lost three one goal games (excluding empty netters). If memory serves, that is what the previous series in which teams came back from 0-3 looked like.

2. Carolina is banged up and using a journeyman almost 36 year old back up goalie who has never been a No. 1 in the NHL, not even for a month. If he hadn't got lucky on that kick in and all those posts in Game 2, he would have been lit up.

3. The extreme statistics on 0-3 comebacks (there have only been four) are largely a product of the pre-parody pre-cap era in which a higher portion of teams made the playoffs and there were more mismatches that resulted in 0-3 holes. Actually, given how common comebacks from 1-3 are in the NHL, I'm surprised that there haven't been more 0-3 comebacks, and the dearth is probably something of a statistical anomaly.

All that said, thankfully, it's still unlikely. BTW, Brett Cyrgalis had a great catty quip about the Carolina fans "dusting off their once per decade rabid interest in hockey." They didn't support this franchise before it won the cup, went crazy when they did, quickly lost interest, and now it's as if they've been with them all the way.

This is all probably moot, as the Islanders clearly don't have a good chance of winning this series, but I'd say they have a better chance than most teams in a 0-3 hole for the following reasons:

1. They are not over matched, as teams down 0-3 often are, and they have lost three one goal games (excluding empty netters). If memory serves, that is what the previous series in which teams came back from 0-3 looked like.

2. Carolina is banged up and using a journeyman almost 36 year old back up goalie who has never been a No. 1 in the NHL, not even for a month. If he hadn't got lucky on that kick in and all those posts in Game 2, he would have been lit up.

3. The extreme statistics on 0-3 comebacks (there have only been four) are largely a product of the pre-parody pre-cap era in which a higher portion of teams made the playoffs and there were more mismatches that resulted in 0-3 holes. Actually, given how common comebacks from 1-3 are in the NHL, I'm surprised that there haven't been more 0-3 comebacks, and the dearth is probably something of a statistical anomaly.

All that said, thankfully, it's still unlikely. BTW, Brett Cyrgalis had a great catty quip about the Carolina fans "dusting off their once per decade rapid interest in hockey." They didn't support this franchise before it won the cup, went crazy when they did, quickly lost interest, and now it's as if they've been with them all the way.

Your Isles positivity is appalling and not welcome here.

Ha, no one is more scornful of the Islanders than I am. I still advocate the use of Potvin Sucks at all times. I merely pointed out that their 0-3 hole, while likely fatal, is not as clearly so as some.

Ha, no one is more scornful of the Islanders than I am. I still advocate the use of Potvin Sucks at all times. I merely pointed out that their 0-3 hole, while likely fatal, is not as clearly so as some.

Yeah but do the Islanders have Mr. Game 7?

It's gotta be frustrating to be an Islanders fan right now. To go from sweeping the Pens in round one to down 3-0 in round 2. Evidence that what you did in previous round doesn't matter, each series is a fresh start. Survive and advance.

All that said, thankfully, it's still unlikely. BTW, Brett Cyrgalis had a great catty quip about the Carolina fans "dusting off their once per decade rabid interest in hockey." They didn't support this franchise before it won the cup, went crazy when they did, quickly lost interest, and now it's as if they've been with them all the way.

Except that they play at 'home' in a dump with plastic PVP cooling pipes and slurpee ice where the fans won't travel to visit even for the playoffs

It's gotta be frustrating to be an Islanders fan right now. To go from sweeping the Pens in round one to down 3-0 in round 2. Evidence that what you did in previous round doesn't matter, each series is a fresh start. Survive and advance.

FUCK THAT!! It's still better than "1940" and 4 Cups in franchise history ( ONE SINCE 1940 ) when they got 4 in a ROW!!!!