• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

K'Andre Miller Likely Playing One More Year at Wisconsin, "At Least"

Phil

?One hundred percent,? said ex-Ranger Tony Granato, now the University of Wisconsin coach who made Miller his first recruit when he got his dream job three seasons ago. ?There?s no question that he could be a first pair in the NHL.?

?The comparables for me for the NHL, I think worst-case scenario ? and this is no slam ? is Jay Bouwmeester,? Granato said of the 16-year NHL veteran. ?Bouwmeester?s been a really good player for a long time. Bouwmeester skates and recovers and I think Kee?s got some more to his game than Jay might (have). Jay?s really really good and he?s had a great career. I think (Miller) is going to be as good or better than Jay. Size, skating ability, recovery ability. The recovery ability and the athleticism on plays that ? NHL players are going to make plays ? but his ability to not bail out on himself and to be able to recover is different than any other player, young defenseman, that I?ve seen.

Where Miller wants to go is from Madison, Wisconsin to Madison Square Garden. But he is not in a rush to get there. He won?t say definitively, but Miller won?t turn pro now, instead planning and training for his sophomore season with the Badgers. Granato and the Rangers? front office all believe he will play one more year of college hockey, at least.

?I think that would probably be the best decision for me,? Miller told The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/943197/2019/04/24/after-a-successful-season-at-wisconsin-tracing-rangers-prospect-kandre-millers-eventual-path-from-madison-to-madison-square-garden/

Is that a bad thing? Marc Staal was a hell of a defense-man until he got his brain scrambled and his eye knocked out in back to back years, and despite those major injuries he'll still probably have a 1000 game career.

No, I meant that as a compliment lol.

Guess I should have remembered the audience.

Could be good comparable. I don't see a lot of Miller offense translating to the NHL, but that's just a hunch.

While I certainly think another year, or more, is warranted at the NCAA level I don't understand how people feel that's a good thing. It's not a good thing. It means he's not ready for the pro game. How is that a good thing?

Could be good comparable. I don't see a lot of Miller offense translating to the NHL, but that's just a hunch.

While I certainly think another year, or more, is warranted at the NCAA level I don't understand how people feel that's a good thing. It's not a good thing. It means he's not ready for the pro game. How is that a good thing?

He's not ready. He's an undeveloped Brady Skjei. Tons of athleticism, and he's trying to figure out how to turn that into being a good hockey player.

There is a difference between being athletic, and a good player. That shows up when you are in the NHL. He's got a ways to go.

Proper development. We care about what he looks like at age 21, not age 19.

There were only 2 regular NHL defenseman under the age of 20 last season. Dahlin and Heisdanen, who were 1st and 3rd overall.

When it comes to defenseman, you just aren't making a impact at age 19 in the NHL. And better to be playing NCAA than junior hockey.

Proper development. We care about what he looks like at age 21, not age 19.

There were only 2 regular NHL defenseman under the age of 20 last season. Dahlin and Heisdanen, who were 1st and 3rd overall.

When it comes to defenseman, you just aren't making a impact at age 19 in the NHL. And better to be playing NCAA than junior hockey.

Well I think Dunny meant to include AHL in "pro." There are a whole bunch of strong AHL defenders who are 19, 20...Brannstrom, Bean, Liljegrin, Foote...and it would be a good sign to see Miller as their comparables.

Having said that, I don't think it matters much, long term.

It's a good thing because, whilst extremely talented, he's also a recent convert to his position. He doesn't need the pressure of making the move to the big league right now, he's better off working on his craft in a safe environment playing big minutes every night. For now.

It's a good thing because, whilst extremely talented, he's also a recent convert to his position.

I think this is being overblown, personally. He changed positions, what, 3 years ago now? Like any young player, he needs more experience, but it's not as if he's totally lost out there.

It's a good thing because, whilst extremely talented, he's also a recent convert to his position. He doesn't need the pressure of making the move to the big league right now, he's better off working on his craft in a safe environment playing big minutes every night. For now.

That's a good point, I forgot that, honestly.

I also want to clarify, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, I'm only stating the obvious, he's likely behind guys like Future listed above at that age.

I think this is being overblown, personally. He changed positions, what, 3 years ago now? Like any young player, he needs more experience, but it's not as if he's totally lost out there.

I think the point is more that he?s getting top line minutes vs lesser competition in order to hone his game vs playing 8 mins a night here vs nhl guys where he may not have the same opportunity to grow. I generally feel like defensemen under the age of 22 don?t do well in the nhl and I?d prefer to let him go through the process rather than bringing him in and him not being ready. He?s still too young for the AHL I believe as well so if he does come and isn?t ready it creates a weird situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I think the point is more that he’s getting top line minutes vs lesser competition in order to hone his game vs playing 8 mins a night here vs nhl guys where he may not have the same opportunity to grow. I generally feel like defensemen under the age of 22 don’t do well in the nhl and I’d prefer to let him go through the process rather than bringing him in and him not being ready. He’s still too young for the AHL I believe as well so if he does come and isn’t ready it creates a weird situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Why would he be too young for the AHL? You might be thinking of the junior rule, but that wouldn't apply to him. I don't think there's much of a difference for his development between being in college and the AHL, but it's not NHL or bust.

I can't remember anybody describing Staal as athletic.

It's why he was drafted...

"A very good skater with a long stride and moves well laterally."

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/the-rangers-scouting-report-on-marc-staal-from-when-he-was-drafted/152994144

Ruff notes Staal’s blend of athleticism and hockey IQ have allowed him to excel at the NHL level. Some players have one but not the other; Staal, who will play his 729th game on Wednesday, has that rare combination of both. Ruff always knew from coaching against him that Staal was a solid defender, that he was strong with his stick. But seeing him play up close has given him a new appreciation for some of his other skills that are more subtle and frequently go unnoticed. It’s often on what Ruff calls the “D escape plays” that he appreciates Staal most.

https://theathletic.com/200879/2018/01/02/motivated-by-last-season-marc-staal-in-midst-of-resurgence/

And this from the linked article describes what Staal was to a T.

“A player, defensively, who had a long stick and reach and when he got beat or it looked like somebody might get around him, he found a way to recover and end the play. I think Kee has that in a different way...has the reach and the athleticism to be able to look like he’s out of a play and then all of a sudden, there he is, right back in your face. So as an offensive player, you might beat Kee once, but you might have to beat him again to get to the net or to get where you want to go.”

Staal was a great athlete, he just never turned it into anything on the offensive end.

It's why he was drafted...

"A very good skater with a long stride and moves well laterally."

https://www.sny.tv/rangers/news/the-rangers-scouting-report-on-marc-staal-from-when-he-was-drafted/152994144

https://theathletic.com/200879/2018/01/02/motivated-by-last-season-marc-staal-in-midst-of-resurgence/

And this from the linked article describes what Staal was to a T.

“A player, defensively, who had a long stick and reach and when he got beat or it looked like somebody might get around him, he found a way to recover and end the play. I think Kee has that in a different way...has the reach and the athleticism to be able to look like he’s out of a play and then all of a sudden, there he is, right back in your face. So as an offensive player, you might beat Kee once, but you might have to beat him again to get to the net or to get where you want to go.”

Staal was a great athlete, he just never turned it into anything on the offensive end.

Man. He just looks like a lumbering uncoordinated weirdo half the time.