• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

William Nylander, Done as a Maple Leaf?

Phil

Toronto's pending cap crunch is inarguably the biggest reason why, but that final shift, giving up an empty-netter after a d-zone turnover with the goalie pulled? He's gotta be finished.

Given the Leafs never really addressed the D, I wonder if they don't flip him out West (there were Nyladner for Pietrangelo rumors earlier this season). St. Louis makes little sense anymore, but I think Anaheim would probably have a ton of interest. Arizona, too.

I wonder if Nylander will be difficult to move considering what he showed after coming back. Holy fuck.

I think they'll be able to move him fairly easily, the return just won't be great. Best case scenario is they get a youngish, cheaper player who has upside but hasn't reached his ceiling (like DeAngelo).

I can't really see anyone giving up much in terms of young, quality pieces for that contract right now.

I will say though that, he's still a 60-point player, all day. He generated the same amount of shots as he has in the past, but his sh% was way low. That will come up some. He's also not going to be 5th in PP TOI amongst forwards on the PP anywhere else in the league.

I think they'll be able to move him fairly easily, the return just won't be great. Best case scenario is they get a youngish, cheaper player who has upside but hasn't reached his ceiling (like DeAngelo).

I can't really see anyone giving up much in terms of young, quality pieces for that contract right now.

I will say though that, he's still a 60-point player, all day. He generated the same amount of shots as he has in the past, but his sh% was way low. That will come up some. He's also not going to be 5th in PP TOI amongst forwards on the PP anywhere else in the league.

That's what I'm getting at basically. They'll probably be forced to move him for pennies on the dollar because that contract seems very risky at the moment. Fair or not.

Guys, Nylander's splits tell a story of a player who missed the first couple of months and was rusty to start before eventually producing some points. Overall, a down year yes, but on a career low in ice time and a very slow start. His shot % was extremely and abnormally low as well. It happens. I would have no hesitation getting this guy at a discount if available.

With that said, you still need them taking back salary. I wouldn't want Nylander's contract to prevent the pursuing of Panarin.

The Leafs absolutely need to trade some of their offensive toys for a good d-man. It will be interesting to see how that pans out. That give away behind the net on Boston's second goal (a killer) had me thinking we had traded Brendan Smith to Toronto at the deadline.

I’d take him. He’s a good player and the stock is as low as you can get. He had a shit year but most players that hold out do. BUY BUY BUY

Yup. Great opportunity to buy low. I trust the first 185 games more than the last 54 on a holdout year getting a career low in minutes.