• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Rangers Linked to Jacob Trouba

Phil

The trouble with trading Shattenkirk and retaining a good sized chunk is that you then have to add a player to take up his roster spot. If that player is making 3m and you are retaining 3m from Shattenkirk, you're effectively paying 6m for a player no better than Shattenkirk.

Hopefully it’s with a young defenseman on an entry level contract. If they retain only to sign a vet to play third pair... :banghead:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Panarin and Trouba. I don't think Hayes comes back.

Panarin and Trouba would be quite a haul. I get allure of NYC, but ultimately hockey players want to play for teams that they believe can advance deep into the playoffs. Leap of faith based on our most recent season results.

The trouble with trading Shattenkirk and retaining a good sized chunk is that you then have to add a player to take up his roster spot. If that player is making 3m and you are retaining 3m from Shattenkirk, you're effectively paying 6m for a player no better than Shattenkirk.

If they are trading Shattenkirk and retaining salary to do so, they aren’t taking any salary back. And there’s at least a fair chance he would be replaced by a kid on an ELC

Even if they are replacing him on the roster with a kid on an ELC making 1m, that means you are effectively paying an unproven player 4m. My point is, that's hardly better than keeping Shatty around, if at all.

They’d still save vs the cap in doing so.

But I don’t think they’re trading him this summer. He goes at the deadline in February at the earliest IMO

It?s not all that difficult to see why New York would want Trouba. His presence would dramatically improve the right side of the Rangers? blue line. A projected top pairing of Brady Skjei and Jacob Trouba next season would also have an aggregate effect on the rest of the Blueshirts? defense, shifting others down the pecking order into more appropriate roles. A player like Neal Pionk, who led right-handed defensemen in average ice time, would likely see his minutes rather dramatically reduced.

Trouba would also be highly representative of New York taking a major step forward in their rebuild, propelling matters that already stand to quicken with their pending second overall draft pick, not to mention their expected presence in UFA waters this July.

But it?s not all rainbows and unicorns. It?s fair to question if he?s a viable number one defender. Based on goals above replacement over the last few seasons, it?s a close call.

Would the Jets really accept a one-for-one of Trouba for Kreider? The latter has one year left on his own deal before free agency in the summer of 2020, giving Winnipeg an awfully short window to work with. Though at $4.65 million against the cap, the salary is workable... for now.

Or, instead, would Winnipeg be more interested in a cache of younger assets with which they can work a longer window of contention with? Assets that the Rangers, smack dab in the middle of a rebuild, are in no position to be parting with just yet?

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/4/23/18512030/the-new-york-rangers-need-jacob-trouba-but-at-what-cost-winnipeg-jets

I don’t think Krieder gets it done

Don’t know that he’s agree to go there nor do I believe he’d re-sign with Winnipeg

And the Jets have little need for yet another top-6 winger. Crowded field there already with Laine, Connor, Wheeler and Ehlers, all of whom deserve top-6 minutes

And I like Trouba a lot. He’s a top 4 D. But is he a legitimate top pairing guy? I don’t know

And what would his extension look like? Would they need to go 7 or 8 years with him, or would he take 5-6?

I don't think the Rangers should have a problem dealing from a glut of picks and maybe a roster player (ADA, Pionk) for Trouba. Put it this way, let's say Winnipeg decides they'll part with Trouba for Pionk, their 1st back, and a couple of 2nd round picks. I don't think that's completely out of the question for a defenseman Winnipeg will probably lose. The draft capital can be recouped by Kreider. This is all assuming a Kreider for Trouba swap won't work. As someone else mentioned, it's hard to see Kreider wanting to go there or resign there.

I don't think the Rangers should have a problem dealing from a glut of picks and maybe a roster player (ADA, Pionk) for Trouba. Put it this way, let's say Winnipeg decides they'll part with Trouba for Pionk, their 1st back, and a couple of 2nd round picks. I don't think that's completely out of the question for a defenseman Winnipeg will probably lose. The draft capital can be recouped by Kreider. This is all assuming a Kreider for Trouba swap won't work. As someone else mentioned, it's hard to see Kreider wanting to go there or resign there.

Unless they’re getting another 1st from elsewhere (not including the potential 1st from Dallas), I don’t want to trade the 1st they have from Winnipeg. I think they need a mid-first rounder this year. If they are flipping Krieder or whatever to acquire one elsewhere, that works though.

I'd probably do that in a heartbeat. Losing Pionk is pure net positive. Adding Trouba in the process is nothing but win.

I don’t think Krieder gets it done

Don’t know that he’s agree to go there nor do I believe he’d re-sign with Winnipeg

And the Jets have little need for yet another top-6 winger. Crowded field there already with Laine, Connor, Wheeler and Ehlers, all of whom deserve top-6 minutes

And I like Trouba a lot. He’s a top 4 D. But is he a legitimate top pairing guy? I don’t know

And what would his extension look like? Would they need to go 7 or 8 years with him, or would he take 5-6?

The hard part for me is....why does Winnipeg take a wing? That's not what they need - they're LOADED on wing. Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers is about as good a top 6 wing setup as you're gonna get.

There's a machination piece where they get Kreider, they sell high (or cut bait - depending on your view) on Ehlers and flip him for a more cost-controlled defender - but that feels like too many dominoes to engage with.

The hard part for me is....why does Winnipeg take a wing? That's not what they need - they're LOADED on wing. Laine, Connor, Wheeler, Ehlers is about as good a top 6 wing setup as you're gonna get.

There's a machination piece where they get Kreider, they sell high (or cut bait - depending on your view) on Ehlers and flip him for a more cost-controlled defender - but that feels like too many dominoes to engage with.

I don’t think they take a winger for him. If I’m Chevy, I want a center I can slot in behind Schiefele or a LH top-4 D. Those are his biggest needs, and I doubt he trades a premium asset, even if he knows he won’t keep Trouba, without filling one of those needs.

Unless they?re getting another 1st from elsewhere (not including the potential 1st from Dallas), I don?t want to trade the 1st they have from Winnipeg. I think they need a mid-first rounder this year. If they are flipping Krieder or whatever to acquire one elsewhere, that works though.

I don?t think they take a winger for him. If I?m Chevy, I want a center I can slot in behind Schiefele or a LH top-4 D. Those are his biggest needs, and I doubt he trades a premium asset, even if he knows he won?t keep Trouba, without filling one of those needs.

If I'm Chevy, I want my 1st round pick back lol

We could get a first rounder back with Kreider if we wanted. Or we could work out a three way deal with Arizona and Winnipeg. Arizona is a fairly sound defensive team that needs scoring help in the worst way. Example:

To WPG: Arizona 1st (#14), Pionk, TB 2nd (from NYR)

To Arizona: Kreider

To NYR: Trouba, ?

I'd probably find another piece to add to the Rangers side, as Kreider/Pionk/2nd is high for Trouba.

Krieder is probably only worth a 1st under 2 circumstances

Either a team feels he’s a piece that puts them over the top next season and they don’t care if they re-sign him

Or a team that feels he’d stay with them long term and they want him to as well.

Arizona doesn’t fit either of those two categories IMO

I think the Rangers should pass on Trouba. If they're going to be locking a defender up 7x7, it needs to be a clear top pair defender.

Stay the course with the rebuild. They've got a number of high upside defensive prospects coming down the pipe.

Ride out this coming season, see where the team is and keep all the picks and draft high upside prospects.

Then they can reassess next year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Krieder is probably only worth a 1st under 2 circumstances

Either a team feels he’s a piece that puts them over the top next season and they don’t care if they re-sign him

Or a team that feels he’d stay with them long term and they want him to as well.

Arizona doesn’t fit either of those two categories IMO

If 2 months of Hayes is worth a 1st, a full year of Kreider is worth that at a minimum - re-signed or not.

I'll agree though that a contender makes more sense if there is no re-sign guarantee. Arizona is close.

If 2 months of Hayes is worth a 1st, a full year of Kreider is worth that at a minimum - re-signed or not.

I'll agree though that a contender makes more sense if there is no re-sign guarantee. Arizona is close.

Hayes filled a need for them, or at least they thought he would. Krieder does not. Jets thought that he might be a guy to help put them over the top. So yeah, 2 months of Hayes at the deadline was worth a 1st. Getting that player at that time and making a deep playoff run like they were looking to was more important and of greater value to them than their 1st round pick was.

I think the Rangers should pass on Trouba. If they're going to be locking a defender up 7x7, it needs to be a clear top pair defender.

Stay the course with the rebuild. They've got a number of high upside defensive prospects coming down the pipe.

Ride out this coming season, see where the team is and keep all the picks and draft high upside prospects.

Then they can reassess next year.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

I'm leaning this way too. 7x7 seems awful steep for a guy that might not be a top pair d-man.