Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canucks Have Checked in with Rangers About No. 2 Overall

The future is spelled K-A-K-K-O BSBH Legend

Canucks Have Checked in with Rangers About No. 2 Overall

But they’ve also reached out to the New York Rangers to get a feel for what it would take if Kaapo Kakko is New Jersey’s choice and Hughes falls to the second slot in the draft. The Devils haven’t given any indication they would go that way, but there are definitely NHL teams that right now have Kakko ranked ahead of Hughes.

Asking league sources to get an idea of the package required to make a team think about trading down from the top two picks, it’s clear people in the NHL have a different perspective of Hughes’ worth than many fans, especially in Vancouver.

“It would take a Lindros package,” one said
    If it really would take a Lindros-like deal from the Canucks, and it does make sense because the New York Rangers have little motivation to trade out of a spot where they can add a franchise player, how the heck could the Canucks come up with something close?

This is how another NHL person put it:

“Three or four firsts. Four seconds and Vancouver takes back Marc Staal and Brendan Smith (who have a combined cap hit of roughly $10 million for the next two seasons).

“That’s a broad outline. It’s the same as trading for Elias Pettersson or Auston Matthews, really.”

That’s some outline. And there was another possible outline including both Bo Horvat and Troy Stecher.

It would be this year’s first, a 2020 unprotected first, two second-round picks, Horvat, Stecher and one more player and take back all that cap space.

With the picks and cap space in either scenario, the Rangers could trade back into the top 10, get two players in the first 10 picks and then go out and sign, say, Erik Karlsson and Artemi Panarin to get their new faces of the franchise.
    https://theathletic.com/928081/2019/...e-in-the-deal/
    "Everyone says you should be a good loser. If you’re a good loser, you’re a loser."
    - John Tortorella

"Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence."
    - Christopher Hitchens

Senior Member BSBH Prospect
    Start with Quinn Hughes

Banned Junior Division
    i'd trade for Petterson straight up

//reported Junior Division
    If the Rangers trade the #2 pick, it’ll be the most Rangers thing they’ve ever done.
    LGR!

Banned Junior Division
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyb™ View Post
    If the Rangers trade the #2 pick, it’ll be the most Rangers thing they’ve ever done.
    they never had the #2 before, so it cant be the most Rangers thing they've ever done

Senior Member Midget Division
    Nah nah nah, dont even think about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

4 first rounders and 3 2nd rounders sounds pretty damn good though lol

Still wouldn’t trade it simply for the fact that the rangers NEVER draft anyone this high and with this must franchise altering potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Senior Member Junior Division
    Jim Benning: Hey Jeff, how are ya! Just calling to check in about the #2 pick

Jeff Gorton: Hey Jim, the pick is doing well. Just sitting in our pocket where it will stay, thanks for asking!

In all seriousness though, I wonder if they are getting the inclination that the Devils are going to take Kakko and so, if Hughes was available, they;d want to build their franchise around another set of brothers (not twins this time!)

Senior Member Pee-Wee Division RangersIn7's Avatar
    No way trey make a trade like that.

Senior Member Midget Division
    It's funny to me that I immediately think "hell no!" if Kakko is available to us but think "hmm sounds intriguing" if Hughes is available to us. Maybe the board is getting to me...

Moderator Pee-Wee Division
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairBettsBlocksEverything View Post
    Jim Benning: Hey Jeff, how are ya! Just calling to check in about the #2 pick

Jeff Gorton: Hey Jim, the pick is doing well. Just sitting in our pocket where it will stay, thanks for asking!

In all seriousness though, I wonder if they are getting the inclination that the Devils are going to take Kakko and so, if Hughes was available, they;d want to build their franchise around another set of brothers (not twins this time!)
    Per the Athletic, they are trying to cover the possibility that NJ chooses Kakko, but think it is most likely that they grab brother Jack.

Funny. I always wonder if the Rangers are calling about the top picks and now that we actually have one, I don't see any scenario in which we should move it.
    GORTON 2020

Senior Member Bantam Division
    Kakko and Hughes are both potential franchise players, and will be cost controlled.
    It's very difficult to imagine what comes the other way to make this even remotely interesting.

Are we safe in assuming that in any offer, Elias Pettersson would not be available?
    Cause if he by some miracle is, then there is something to talk about.

Wouldn’t move the pick for Petterson AND Boeser.
    Ok maybe. But really, the Rangers need to hold onto this pick and take one of Kakko or Hughes, whoever is left after the Devils pick.
    I bet Vancouver has also called NJD about the first overall and since NJD just picked Hischier first in 2017, they might be a bit more inclined to move that pick.
    LGR!

Wouldn’t move the pick for Petterson AND Boeser.
    Ok maybe. But really, the Rangers need to hold onto this pick and take one of Kakko or Hughes, whoever is left after the Devils pick.
    I bet Vancouver has also called NJD about the first overall and since NJD just picked Hischier first in 2017, they might be a bit more inclined to move that pick.
    It would be hard to move the pick no matter what. But if they dangle Pettersson, it’s certainly worth a conversation.

Agreed but the kid’s already had at least one concussion. Makes me nervous. I don’t want Aaron Ekblad.
    LGR!

Agreed but the kid’s already had at least one concussion. Makes me nervous. I don’t want Aaron Ekblad.
    What’s the tally on Ekblad now, 4 I think, in 5 seasons?

day-to-day Midget Division
    The only way I'd listen is for some ridiculous offer involving a young superstar (McDavid). Otherwise I'm hanging up the phone quickly.
    "We're all f*cked. It helps to remember that." - George Carlin

"How many Cups you've got?" - Esa Tikkanen

"Hatred can keep you warm when you run out of liquor" - Ray Ratto, Dan Patrick show 1/20/2017

Senior Member Bantam Division
    I very badly want the Rangers to draft their own stud, franchise forward. Hearing Petterson's name as a possibility in a trade wouldn't even make me flinch.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast