• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Canucks Have Checked in with Rangers About No. 2 Overall

Phil

But they?ve also reached out to the New York Rangers to get a feel for what it would take if Kaapo Kakko is New Jersey?s choice and Hughes falls to the second slot in the draft. The Devils haven?t given any indication they would go that way, but there are definitely NHL teams that right now have Kakko ranked ahead of Hughes.

Asking league sources to get an idea of the package required to make a team think about trading down from the top two picks, it?s clear people in the NHL have a different perspective of Hughes? worth than many fans, especially in Vancouver.

?It would take a Lindros package,? one said

If it really would take a Lindros-like deal from the Canucks, and it does make sense because the New York Rangers have little motivation to trade out of a spot where they can add a franchise player, how the heck could the Canucks come up with something close?

This is how another NHL person put it:

?Three or four firsts. Four seconds and Vancouver takes back Marc Staal and Brendan Smith (who have a combined cap hit of roughly $10 million for the next two seasons).

?That?s a broad outline. It?s the same as trading for Elias Pettersson or Auston Matthews, really.?

That?s some outline. And there was another possible outline including both Bo Horvat and Troy Stecher.

It would be this year?s first, a 2020 unprotected first, two second-round picks, Horvat, Stecher and one more player and take back all that cap space.

With the picks and cap space in either scenario, the Rangers could trade back into the top 10, get two players in the first 10 picks and then go out and sign, say, Erik Karlsson and Artemi Panarin to get their new faces of the franchise.

https://theathletic.com/928081/2019/04/16/what-the-canucks-would-have-to-do-to-trade-up-for-jack-hughes-and-the-player-few-in-vancouver-want-to-see-in-the-deal/

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim Benning: Hey Jeff, how are ya! Just calling to check in about the #2 pick

Jeff Gorton: Hey Jim, the pick is doing well. Just sitting in our pocket where it will stay, thanks for asking!

In all seriousness though, I wonder if they are getting the inclination that the Devils are going to take Kakko and so, if Hughes was available, they;d want to build their franchise around another set of brothers (not twins this time!)

Jim Benning: Hey Jeff, how are ya! Just calling to check in about the #2 pick

Jeff Gorton: Hey Jim, the pick is doing well. Just sitting in our pocket where it will stay, thanks for asking!

In all seriousness though, I wonder if they are getting the inclination that the Devils are going to take Kakko and so, if Hughes was available, they;d want to build their franchise around another set of brothers (not twins this time!)

Per the Athletic, they are trying to cover the possibility that NJ chooses Kakko, but think it is most likely that they grab brother Jack.

Wouldn?t move the pick for Petterson AND Boeser.

Ok maybe. But really, the Rangers need to hold onto this pick and take one of Kakko or Hughes, whoever is left after the Devils pick.

I bet Vancouver has also called NJD about the first overall and since NJD just picked Hischier first in 2017, they might be a bit more inclined to move that pick.

Wouldn’t move the pick for Petterson AND Boeser.

Ok maybe. But really, the Rangers need to hold onto this pick and take one of Kakko or Hughes, whoever is left after the Devils pick.

I bet Vancouver has also called NJD about the first overall and since NJD just picked Hischier first in 2017, they might be a bit more inclined to move that pick.

It would be hard to move the pick no matter what. But if they dangle Pettersson, it’s certainly worth a conversation.

I very badly want the Rangers to draft their own stud, franchise forward. Hearing Petterson's name as a possibility in a trade wouldn't even make me flinch.

I agree. But you still have to pick up the phone and listen. Front office personnel around the league are a small fraternity. You don’t want to ignore or alienate anyone. They may have something you want or need down the road.

Vancouver is getting closer. That division isn’t great and they have some really nice young pieces to build around in Pettersson, Horvat, Hughes, and Boeser, with Juoveli arriving next year. Virtanen too if he ever takes the next step.

Still need a goalie, but another big piece this draft could set them up for a long time.