• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vesey Could Be The Odd Man Out With Talented Youngsters on the Way

Phil

Vesey, who many had pegged as the type of player likely to directly benefit from playing under Quinn?s coaching style, did see a marginal improvement in points (35) this past season but scored more than half (ten) of his 17 goals this season before the turn of the new year. In fact, since the shift to 2019, he thrice went without a goal in five or more straight games and went entirely scoreless through 31 of the Rangers? 41 games played from January to the end of the year.

In spite of the lack of consistent scoring, however, Vesey is a hard-working player. Whether in a third- or fourth-line role, his game does have agitating qualities, and he?s never afraid to fight for loose pucks or battle for possession in the corners. He?s also shown a consistent willingness to drive to the net, which is borne out over 34 goals in his last 160 games. Not a bad scoring pace for a consistent bottom-six player.

A deeper dive into his possession numbers also paint gradual year-over-year improvement, particularly relative to the team, in Corsi For Percentage (-0.2) and Fenwick For Percentage (-1.7) ? both of which he posted career highs in last season. While both were still in the red, they were markedly improved since his rookie season in which he posted a minus-3.9 and minus-4.4 in each category respectively.

Yet in totality, his numbers, though gradually improving, lack the rate of progress that would otherwise align with a long-term future in blue, which begs the question ? just how soon should his tenure end, then? If the Rangers aren?t thinking about a multi-year extension now that would buy nothing but unrestricted years (at a premium), then why prolong the situation any longer than necessary? Especially since there are reinforcements on the way.

For Vesey, matters will only complicate if, as expected, New York adds an immediate NHL winger by selecting Finnish prospect winger Kaapo Kakko with the second overall pick. They?ll compound to the point of fracture should the Rangers also sign Artemi Panarin, and we?ve yet to even broach the fact that Vitali Kravtsov has reportedly reached an agreement on his entry-level contract.

Too many bodies, too few roster spots.

Should the New Jersey Devils ? who won the right to the first overall pick ? buck conventional draft consensus and select Kakko themselves, pressures might ease for Vesey given the odds the Rangers would race to the podium to call Jack Hughes? name at the first chance.

Hughes, a center, wouldn?t pose the same direct threat as Kakko & co, wingers. This hypothetical scenario isn?t just unlikely, though ? it encapsulates the long odds Vesey is facing to begin with.

https://www.blueshirtbanter.com/2019/4/17/18344226/jimmy-vesey-could-be-the-odd-man-out-with-talented-youngsters-on-the-way-new-york-rangers

Sent from my iPhone using Blueshirts Brotherhood mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean...what do you get for a guy like Vesey? He doesn't have enough value to where you can package a bad contract with him. He doesn't really move the needle as a rental (if this were mid season, I could see teams going after better players than Vesey).

What does he get you? A 2nd+3rd? And you hope they play in the NHL one day?

If it's to free up a roster spot, or keep cap space available, I get it.

I mean...what do you get for a guy like Vesey? He doesn't have enough value to where you can package a bad contract with him. He doesn't really move the needle as a rental (if this were mid season, I could see teams going after better players than Vesey).

Gotta think primarily cap space. Same train of thought for Namestnikov if he gets traded, though he might be worth slightly more.

Nice, tight work, Phil, as usual. It's amazing to look at where we were a year ago. All the kids were like, "they're starting from scratch and I could have a place with NYR." A year later, we're already running out of spots for fairly seasoned players. Next year, it will be "don't send me there, they're too stacked and I'll rot in Hartford."

Nice, tight work, Phil, as usual. It's amazing to look at where we were a year ago. All the kids were like, "they're starting from scratch and I could have a place with NYR." A year later, we're already running out of spots for fairly seasoned players. Next year, it will be "don't send me there, they're too stacked and I'll rot in Hartford."

Hahaha, isn't that sorta what happened to the Marlies last year? Or maybe the year before?

You don't need to trade Vesey for cap space, because he's not under contract after next year. Namestnikov and Strome are the guys you try to move first, if you're trying to make space.

The only reason you move Vesey is because you can't move one of the other two, and you think he's got no shot at a future. I'm not ready to say that yet and I wouldn't do anything until mid next season, at the earliest. His value isn't going to plummet between now and then, and even though he's not a prospect, he's still not quite in his prime. Never know if something clicks.

I actually don't agree that he's a particularly hard working player. My biggest complaint about Vesey is that he doesn't bring it every night. Like Kreider, if he did, he'd score a lot more goals. But I wouldn't want to rush to move him...what if he clicks with, say, Lemieux and Andersson? He's a good player down low, what if Kakko/Kravtsov/Chytil's abilities to get to the net help get him another 8 goals? 17 goals, considering the linemates he's had, is a good number, I think we sleep on Vesey's scoring talent.

There's no reason you can't go into next year with (move guys where you see fit):

Kreider - Zib - Buch

Panarin - Chytil - Kakko

Vesey - Lias - Kravtsov

Lemieux - Howden - Fast

If you don't have Panarin, that's even more reason to keep Vesey.

I would take a 2nd and a 3rd for him in a heartbeat, get the league office on the line in a moments notice and hope the other team doesn't back out quick.

I'm sitting on a capfriendly squad trading Vesey for Frk (Detroit - AHL) and Pionk + for Puljujarvi.

They'll need to target a change of scenery guy, but that doesnt alleviate the cap hit - which is the (potential) issue.

No one wants the Rangers garbage.

If they can sign Panarin and maybe Karlsson, they can throw in prospects so someone will bite on this trash. In other words, reverse rebuild.

You could trade any one of those guys for a pick or organizational filler.

Would you give up a pick for Vesey?

I think a team in need of bottom 6 depth would be willing to give up a pick and an AHL depth guy for him (to keep the contract totals even).

We like to say he is trash but honestly, in his three career seasons he's had 16, 17 and 17 goals. I think a lot of teams would give a pick up for him. He may have had higher expectations when we signed him because of the hype coming out of college that he hasn't lived up to, but he's not a bad player

Would you give up a pick for Vesey?

Without question. A 17-goal, 25 y.o. pending UFA, at a low cap hit, who is going to cost like...a third or fourth...absolutely, especially when he's shown that he can be potent in a top-6 role.

Anyone who says otherwise is full of shit. Any team struggling with scoring depth should be all over that.

A team with a trash bottom 6 like Dallas or Colorado would make sense.

Perhaps, but he doesn't offer what either of those teams need in the bottom 6. He's a role player without a role. Both would be better off giving the icetime to kids.

Perhaps, but he doesn't offer what either of those teams need in the bottom 6. He's a role player without a role. Both would be better off giving the icetime to kids.

What exactly do those teams need in the bottom 6? They are both teams who fancy themselves as contenders and have no depth scoring. Vesey is exactly what they'd need.

Who are these kids you speak of? Denis Gurianov is Dallas' only wing prospect close to the NHL, and outside of Kaut, COL doesn't have anything that's going to get you Vesey's production. Unless you think a bunch of guys are going to make a jump from junior to 3rd line, Vesey isn't blocking anybody.

stereotypical 3rd line role players - Grinders, pkers. big bodies, physical players, forecheckers, good defensively that can pot a few goals.

Vesey's so blah, vanilla, inconsistent, and irrelevant. Dime a dozen.

I'd be fine with waiving him and hope someone takes him. That's enough for me.