• Join us — it's free!

We are the premiere internet community for New York Rangers news and fan discussion. Don't wait — join the forum today!

IGNORED

Vesey Could Be The Odd Man Out With Talented Youngsters on the Way

Phil

I'd bet fans from every team say that about their own 3rd liners they get sick of...

He’s a stopgap. He can do a job. You need that sort of player at times but he isn’t the answer and isn’t “exactly” what anyone needs.

I mean, I’m watching the Avalanche do quite well in the playoffs and tbh the thought ?fuck me, imagine if these guys had Jim Vesey” is yet to cross my mind.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He’s a stopgap. He can do a job. You need that sort of player at times but he isn’t the answer and isn’t “exactly” what anyone needs.

I mean, I’m watching the Avalanche do quite well in the playoffs and tbh the thought ?fuck me, imagine if these guys had Jim Vesey” is yet to cross my mind.

Because he's a 3rd liner. Are you watching the Aves and thinking "Man, it's a good thing these guys have Matt Calvert"? No you're not, but Vesey would improve their depth over Calvert.

Because he's a 3rd liner. Are you watching the Aves and thinking "Man, it's a good thing these guys have Matt Calvert"? No you're not, but Vesey would improve their depth over Calvert.

Marginally, if at all. Certainly nothing that moves the needle in a meaningful way. And highly debatable if you’re looking at it from a third line/checking line perspective.

What they need are good role players for their bottom 6. Jimmy Vesey isn’t a particularly good bottom 6 player at all. He could do a job for them, but he’s definitely not exactly what they need.

Neither Vesey or Names will bring anything of significance. It's just a matter of clearing room for others. There aren't a lot of subtleties in Jimmy's game that might take more than 3 years to develop, so he pretty much is where he's going to be.

Avalanche make a lot of sense to me

https://www.rosterresource.com/nhl-colorado-avalanche/

They had to break up the Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen line at times this season because opposition could key on stopping that line, and there wasn't enough scoring from other lines.

Kick the tires on someone like Tyson Jost and see if you can pick up some young talent in a deal.

https://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/12/tyson-jost-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-13/

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/j/jostty01.html

Avalanche make a lot of sense to me

https://www.rosterresource.com/nhl-colorado-avalanche/

They had to break up the Landeskog-MacKinnon-Rantanen line at times this season because opposition could key on stopping that line, and there wasn't enough scoring from other lines.

Kick the tires on someone like Tyson Jost and see if you can pick up some young talent in a deal.

https://lastwordonsports.com/2016/04/12/tyson-jost-scouting-report-2016-nhl-draft-13/

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/j/jostty01.html

I think it would make more sense to get JT Miller. They have the cap space, and he's better than Vesey in every asset. Plus, he can get hot in stretches, which would be a great benefit for them. With TB's cap issues, they wouldnt have to give up much, either.

I think it would make more sense to get JT Miller. They have the cap space, and he's better than Vesey in every asset. Plus, he can get hot in stretches, which would be a great benefit for them. With TB's cap issues, they wouldnt have to give up much, either.

Did Vesey's 9 points in 9 games not count as hot? 7 and 8 in December, 7 and 6 in November?

Why would you take JT Miller at $5m when you can get Vesey at half that? JT competes just as inconsistently...he played 12:06 or less 17 times this year for that exact reason...and he scored fewer goals.

What exactly do you think Vesey is going to cost in a trade if COL would have to give up "much" to get Miller?

Just admit you don't like Vesey rather than trying to shoehorn things in to justify it.

Did Vesey's 9 points in 9 games not count as hot? 7 and 8 in December, 7 and 6 in November?

Why would you take JT Miller at $5m when you can get Vesey at half that? JT competes just as inconsistently...he played 12:06 or less 17 times this year for that exact reason...and he scored fewer goals.

What exactly do you think Vesey is going to cost in a trade if COL would have to give up "much" to get Miller?

Just admit you don't like Vesey rather than trying to shoehorn things in to justify it.

Miller gives you 50 points and Vesey 30?

Add to this that JT Miller is not a good defensive player, and doesn't make smart or safe decisions with the puck. If I'm Colorado and need someone for a 3rd line role, I would rather have Vesey quite easily especially at half the cost. If they needed some playmaking and offensive creativity (they don't) then probably roll the dice on Miller.

Add to this that JT Miller is not a good defensive player, and doesn't make smart or safe decisions with the puck. If I'm Colorado and need someone for a 3rd line role, I would rather have Vesey quite easily especially at half the cost. If they needed some playmaking and offensive creativity (they don't) then probably roll the dice on Miller.

Miller is a vastly superior play maker to Vesey and has much better skills. That was even evident in the Columbus series. He put up a lot of assists this years even if he wasn't scoring. In any event, Gorton is obviously not enamored of him and is not getting him back, whatever his salary.

Miller is a vastly superior play maker to Vesey and has much better skills. That was even evident in the Columbus series. He put up a lot of assists this years even if he wasn't scoring. In any event, Gorton is obviously not enamored of him and is not getting him back, whatever his salary.

Ok. My point remains. Not sure what Gorton and getting him back has to do with my post, but I'm glad he doesn't want Miller back. He's a low IQ player.

Didn't it come up that JT Miller was a bit of douche in the locker room??? I don't know but I think I remember someone making that point a while back before they traded him. Either way, I don't wanna see any retreads here. Vesey has some time in my book to develop some more. Future made a good point saying that he's only played on shitty teams, which I totally agree with.

The kid does have some size at 6'3", and if he can use his head for more than a helmet rack this upcoming season, we may be in for a pleasant surprise. If not, it's no skin off our ass to try and deal him or let him skate in Free agency. He didn't cost us anything to acquire, if I remember correctly. I think we got Hayes like that too.

But yeah, the hell with JT Miller....I'll bet there are quite a few better players we can get to do that job, rather than bring in an overpaid jerkoff in the locker room, to play mediocre hockey.

Is it draft day yet?? ;)

Vesey gives you 17 goals and JT gives you 13?

You think Miller is putting up 50 points playing with Carl Soderberg and JT Compher?

Last full year as a Ranger he put up 50 with a 16-17 Grabner and Hayes. This year he paced 50 playing mostly with Killorn and Cirelli.

So, yea.

Last full year as a Ranger he put up 50 with a 16-17 Grabner and Hayes. This year he paced 50 playing mostly with Killorn and Cirelli.

So, yea.

Well Grabner-Hayes is better than anything Colorado has outside of their top line.

16 of 34 assists and 4 of 13 goals were on the PP, fewer than 20 of his points didn't include, Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, or Johnson.

So, yea.

Meh. About half were PP points this year. Interestingly enough, Miller was far more effective offensively with the Rangers than he has been with the Lightning. His production here came more at 5v5 than the PP.

Didn't it come up that JT Miller was a bit of douche in the locker room??? I don't know but I think I remember someone making that point a while back before they traded him. Either way, I don't wanna see any retreads here. Vesey has some time in my book to develop some more. Future made a good point saying that he's only played on shitty teams, which I totally agree with.

The kid does have some size at 6'3", and if he can use his head for more than a helmet rack this upcoming season, we may be in for a pleasant surprise. If not, it's no skin off our ass to try and deal him or let him skate in Free agency. He didn't cost us anything to acquire, if I remember correctly. I think we got Hayes like that too.

But yeah, the hell with JT Miller....I'll bet there are quite a few better players we can get to do that job, rather than bring in an overpaid jerkoff in the locker room, to play mediocre hockey.

Is it draft day yet?? ;)

Vesey is 6'3"? He is the smallest 6'3" I've ever seen. He also plays like he's 5'9"